Rank 0

Contributor I

Alhambra, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hernandez
Hello All,

I recently purchased an RSI "Smart CAP'" for my 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro and I am running into some issues regarding how to mount an RTT to it. Specifically a "Clam Shell type tent (i.e. Alu-cab 3.1, CVT MT-Hood, ect.)

The issue I'm having is how to address the independent movement that comes with having the tent mounted on the SmartCAP. I also have a Prinsu "Style" Roof rack on the truck cab. My concern is not only possible clearance issues but also that I only have a 5' bed with load bars only 4' apart on the SmartCAP. I feel there might be a potential of the tent "flexing" given that it will be cantilevering over the truck cab approx. 2.5 ft. That, combined with the independent movement of the cab and bed make me wonder how the tent will hold up with dynamic movement.

Does anyone have a similar set up with a Tacoma and RSI SmartCAP? Any Guidance or Suggestions would be greatly apricated.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello All,

I recently purchased an RSI "Smart CAP'" for my 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro and I am running into some issues regarding how to mount an RTT to it. Specifically a "Clam Shell type tent (i.e. Alu-cab 3.1, CVT MT-Hood, ect.)

The issue I'm having is how to address the independent movement that comes with having the tent mounted on the SmartCAP. I also have a Prinsu "Style" Roof rack on the truck cab. My concern is not only possible clearance issues but also that I only have a 5' bed with load bars only 4' apart on the SmartCAP. I feel there might be a potential of the tent "flexing" given that it will be cantilevering over the truck cab approx. 2.5 ft. That, combined with the independent movement of the cab and bed make me wonder how the tent will hold up with dynamic movement.

Does anyone have a similar set up with a Tacoma and RSI SmartCAP? Any Guidance or Suggestions would be greatly apricated.
Welcome to Overland Bound
For your question you can dig into the forum to find the best place to ask;
Don't hesitate to contact your Regional Director @Narbob for help or information.
The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Barclay (LA) @FrankRoams (OC/SD) & www.Riggedfordirt.com @Dominic OB0158 (Inland Empire)
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Overland Expo West
About WEST — Overland Expo®

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Hello All,

Welcome to the community!

I actually picked up a SmartCap my self but haven't quite made it out to getting an RTT set up for it. I currently just have aluminum extrusion as a make shift load bar set up but i'd imagine keeping the tent lower and supported more along the bottom would help alot with preventing flex on the bed front to back. I haven't had any experience with an RTT personally up there but I often see people with bed racks with the RTT hanging off the front or off the back. Most clam shell tents over hang the cab similarly with a bed rack and doesnt seem to cause people problems. Least none that i've heard.

Feel free to PM me any time :). Did you get the EvoA or EvoSport?