Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Bought a 2005 Toyota Sequoia for a replacement overland rig. We've been running a 1999 GMC Yukon that has been awesome and a great rig. The Yukon is at point that it needs some suspension and axle upgrades to keep doing what we're doing. Looking into that we ran into opportunity of a super clean Toyota Sequoia for sale at an epic price. After some deep thought and consideration we liked the options of better traction control third row seating..which my wife loves as an option to take others with us. It will more expensive on the front end but I think in the long term it will be more cost effective. I will try to stay up to date on this build thread with my progress.

Here is Roxy in stock configuration:

1567978130340.png

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Suspension upgrade begins! Bilsteins 6118 up front with 650lb springs. SPC control arms. New steering rack bushings and lower control arm busshings. Fox Performace shocks in the rear with ARB 2860 rear springs. This will be a lot of work...
1567978292166.png
1567978329458.png

Knitron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Alignment done..looks much better..and a bit higher than planned. But storage in the rear and front and rear bumpers will help mitigate that, LOL

1567978957001.png

Reactions: RoarinRow

Knitron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Took her out for a quick trail ride and shake down test. She's got some flex! Super smooth ride and handling, rides awesome down the highway as well.

1567979060657.png

Didn't want to forget to also mention the epic sunset!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Took her out for a quick trail ride and shake down test. She's got some flex! Super smooth ride and handling, rides awesome down the highway as well.

View attachment 116587

Didn't want to forget to also mention the epic sunset!
Very nice. Look forward to seeing how you build her out. Looks like you have boat racks on the roof. Are you not going with a roof top tent?

Reactions: Knitron

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I look forward to following this build. Hilarious about getting it out of the garage!

Reactions: Knitron

Knitron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Oh man, my mother in law is getting ready to sell hers that has been absolutely babied.
This thread makes me want to buy it just to build up, cut up, and pinstripe :laughing:
Oh I can help you come up with all sorts of ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: Ghost

Knitron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I just hit my wife up as a joke and she is thinking we should buy it. It’s a 2007 loaded leather power everything with 100K grandma miles on it.
Wow, that's what I really wanted, a 2007. Take care of it and it will last forever with that few miles on it. I did the same thing, it was mentioned more a joke to wife and she said we better check it out. (We have some smart wives) Look up A-Aron's Sequoia build as well, it's a beast on the trails. If you decide to go for it we'll be happy to help!

Reactions: Ghost

Knitron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Finally got the rear drawer system finished. I modular designed it so it can be compatible with different layouts of seat arrangements. Anywhere from adding one eat back into the rear and stacking the boxes. Or I can put the fridge in so it will be easily accessible. Or I can use it with a full kitchen and a sleeping platform for one or two people...beyond that we haul the trailer.
1568567435280.png1568567475207.png1568567520391.png

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Suspension upgrade begins! Bilsteins 6118 up front with 650lb springs. SPC control arms. New steering rack bushings and lower control arm busshings. Fox Performace shocks in the rear with ARB 2860 rear springs. This will be a lot of work...
View attachment 116582
View attachment 116583
Just the beginning, you probably already spent more on the new rig than it would cost to completely rebuild your old rig. Where was the cost effectiveness ? Just asking. The bug gotcha ! Ha ha ha

Knitron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Just the beginning, you probably already spent more on the new rig than it would cost to completely rebuild your old rig. Where was the cost effectiveness ? Just asking. The bug gotcha ! Ha ha ha
I can't deny being bit by the bug...LOL Once everything is done, yes it will cost more than just upgrading the old rig. But it won't be too far off by the time you include suspension work, lockers (it has no traction control) and if you open up an axle this old to put a locker in you better put in new seals and bearing and gears. and that adds up fast. The wife drove it and made the final decision. Luckily a lot of the gear will transfer over form one rig to another. Cost savings hopefully some in the future in the long run. The Sequoia has a better history of longevity. At least that's how I comfort myself on the decision..LOL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I can't deny being bit by the bug...LOL Once everything is done, yes it will cost more than just upgrading the old rig. But it won't be too far off by the time you include suspension work, lockers (it has no traction control) and if you open up an axle this old to put a locker in you better put in new seals and bearing and gears. and that adds up fast. The wife drove it and made the final decision. Luckily a lot of the gear will transfer over form one rig to another. Cost savings hopefully some in the future in the long run. The Sequoia has a better history of longevity. At least that's how I comfort myself on the decision..LOL
Thank you, I am positive you will enjoy your new ride tremendously over the life of your rig. My LRD2 has traction control , so I can understand wanting it. LR has had it over all the other makers years before other makers and has proved it worth which has become a standard bearer now for the industry. Very seldom do you need lockers with traction control as you probably know. Good luck

Reactions: Utah_Jake

IH8CALI

Rank 0

Traveler I

Utah
First Name
Joe
Last Name
C
I was hoping to resurrect this thread as I was about to pull the trigger on the Bilstein 6112; what height setting did you use? Any follow-up reports to how well it's held up etc.? Anything you would have done differently? I'm trying to get the best ride without "lifting". TIA