Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
I'm looking for fuel storage for my rig. I've ruled out the traditional Jerry cans and have narrowed my search to the Rotopax systems. What is the main differences between the Rotopax and the Fuelpax besides the price? What is the caveat? Durability? Production quality? Convenience features? Of course it would be nice to save some $$$, but not at the expense of safety.

Cheers,
Eddy

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
The only issues I've had with rotopax is that they dont have a vent for altitude changes. They expand and contract in size with both heat and altitude.

Occasionally this has led to leaking of gas from the cap. My solution is to screw the cap on ridiculously tight. So tight that I carry a tool to remove the cap.

Aside from that I've been using two three gallon rotos for almost five years and have been happy with them. Be sure to get an aftermarket spout and ditch the CARB spout that comes with them...

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
Thanks for the great insights. I too was thinking about getting two 3-gallon vessels, but am still a little bit unclear as to what "stackable" means. I have seen pictures of users stacking them side-by-side like books and stacking one on top of the other, snapping together like Lego pieces. I am assuming that they don't work in either situation, but why are they not stackable side-by-side? Do they spin? If they are resting on a platform, how will that make a difference?

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
I carry mine up on my home made roof rack, side by side. You can't see it but there is a threaded rod that goes through the center of the rotos, and I have a big flat washer that cinches down the center of the rotos to the roof rack. And I also have a ratchet strap holding them on for redundancy

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
because they are a less structural, they dont want them stacked on top of another using the same mount. IE the top unit would deform or break the lower unit
Hmmm....didn't really think about that. I guess I hadn't imagined that they were so soft and flimsy. Definitely food for thought.

And thanks v_man for your good suggestion. I'm still deliberating.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I've had the 3.5gal Fuelpax for a year now; no complaints. Being an hour from the nearest gas station, it's filled year-round and refilled often.
I'm not very kind to it, 50 degree diurnal temp swings, this weekend alonewas a 16k ft elevation change on rough trails with no leaks; even took a 6ft drop earlier this summer and she's tip-top.

Reactions: SVgarage

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
I've had the 3.5gal Fuelpax for a year now; no complaints. Being an hour from the nearest gas station, it's filled year-round and refilled often.
I'm not very kind to it, 50 degree diurnal temp swings, this weekend alonewas a 16k ft elevation change on rough trails with no leaks; even took a 6ft drop earlier this summer and she's tip-top.
That's a hardy endorsement. I'll really have to consider the Fuelpax. It really comes down to the configuration of how I'm going to carry them. I'm leaning towards mounting a mounting plate to my tailgate HD hinges to the passenger side of my spare, then stacking 2 together, which would rule out the Fuelpaxes. For a little while, I was thinking about securing a perimeter mounting strap around my spare, then having one fuel vessel on each side.

baDWolf

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
I have the 2 3gl Fuelpax and they don't vent so they expand and contract with the temperature. They feel really like they're thick, but for the price and because I wasn't stacking they work for me.Screenshot_20180616-080620.jpeg

baDWolf

I'm looking for fuel storage for my rig. I've ruled out the traditional Jerry cans and have narrowed my search to the Rotopax systems. What is the main differences between the Rotopax and the Fuelpax besides the price? What is the caveat? Durability? Production quality? Convenience features? Of course it would be nice to save some $$$, but not at the expense of safety.

Cheers,
Eddy
Fuelpax can be stacked and stated so by Rotopax. They state you can use the 3" extender f or the 3.5gal cans. And in fact I do that. I have a mount and a 3 inch extender with 2 3.5gal Fuelpax mounted side by side using a Rotopax hinge mount bracket. The bracket nor the cans are ideal. The bracket vibrates and it will eventually break and the cans bloat with heat and pressure. I can fix the bracket and looking for a valve that will at least vent higher pressure with having to manually release the valve. Fuelpax is thinner walled then Rotopax but will hold more fuel ( 3 vs 3.5 gal). Thicker walled would assume its a bit more rugged.

S

SubeeBen

Haven’t used it yet but just got my new 4.5 gallon fuelpax & waiting on my vector exo rack they kindly custom made for me to fit the new fuelpax but I have to say the fuel pax seems incredibly thick walled & heavy duty. I can se the venting/bloating issue on extended trips in the sun. Is there a pressure relief valve available & second question is If you were to drill & tap fuelpax would the plastic threads hold the psi relief valve or blow & strip the plastic ?