chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
We we do here in AZ, is purchase metal tire valve stems, drill a hole in the Rotopax and install the valve stems. That way you can burp them easily without having to loosen the fuel cap that you finally spun on correctly to prevent it from leaking fuel. Those canisters really expand in 100+ degree heat out here.
I like that idea, any chance you have some pics showing the placement, etc.?

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
We we do here in AZ, is purchase metal tire valve stems, drill a hole in the Rotopax and install the valve stems. That way you can burp them easily without having to loosen the fuel cap that you finally spun on correctly to prevent it from leaking fuel. Those canisters really expand in 100+ degree heat out here.
Great idea, thanks!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I like that idea, any chance you have some pics showing the placement, etc.?
I wish that I still had them, but when I sold the Polaris the pax went with it.
Just like any other fuel can the valve goes on the same side as the nozzle but on the other end. Drill the hole, take the valve core out of the valve, run some string down through the stem and tie a large washer on the end of it. Now go to the nozzle and drop the other end of the string towards the vale stem hole, fish out the string and then pull the stem up through the hole. You can use some gas resistant rtv to insure there is no leakage. Install the nut onto the stem and tighten down the nut.

Reactions: chris_nc

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

That's for an old school lawn mower style gas can. That is only designed to be stored upright. If you were to store that on it's side and open the vent you will spill fuel. Rotopax and Jerry cans can be mounted upright or horizontal. There would have to be multiple vent locations to accommodate the different mounting options. My Rotopax may swell but they do not leak and I carry them like this on top of my vehicle.
Buddabuda, If those are stored horizontal on your roof, how do you vent without them leaking while venting? Do you have to take them off first? Do you like them stored Horizontal? It seems they would slosh more in not full. I have been thinking about using a horizontal one for water.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Where do you buy these at? I was looking online and finding a good source for them isn't as easy as you would think, a lot of imposters out there or used ones for sale on Ebay.
I'm in Canada, and the Scepter MFC's are made her so (for once anyways) we get a good quality product at a decent price.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Buddabuda, If those are stored horizontal on your roof, how do you vent without them leaking while venting? Do you have to take them off first? Do you like them stored Horizontal? It seems they would slosh more in not full. I have been thinking about using a horizontal one for water.
Correct. In order to vent them I need to take them off the roof. It's a bit of a pain but it is what it is as they say. If you were to store jerry cans on their side they would need be upright in order to vent as well. I could prob just take them off the mount then tilt them and vent them on the roof without having to take them off my roof completely.

Reactions: Brewbud