Rotopax 3.5 gal Fuelpax

• HTML tutorial

Narrow Road Adventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Does anyone have experience with Rotopax's lower line brand, Fuelpax? They only come 3.5 gal. I was wondering if they have a solid build to them and hold their shape decent. Those who have used them do you like them? Thanks!
YouTube: Narrow Road Adventures
Instagram: tferv

Last edited:

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I'm planning on picking one up soon. I won't be able to compare it to a standard rotopax though....

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Beware... I was talking to my buddy at Leitner designs who is a dealer for them. They are blow molded instead of rotomolded which makes them less expensive, and is fine as most all other fuel cans are blow molded. That being said, if you already had a standard rotopax can, none of the mounting options or locks for the rotopax work on the fuelpax cans.

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Iv'e always wanted Rotopax, but damn.. They are expensive! Someday I will break down and spend the money i'm sure.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Narrow Road Adventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

That being said, if you already had a standard rotopax can, none of the mounting options or locks for the rotopax work on the fuelpax cans.
I've seen several places where Rotopax has said that their Rotopax mounts work for their Fuelpax cans. Even the picture on their website has a Fuelpax mounted with a Roto mount. On Rotopax's eBay store they were selling a 2 pack of their Roto lock mounts for $40 so I bought a couple sets. http://m.ebay.com/itm/122242428259?_mwBanner=1

I haven't been able to find many reviews on the Fuelpax and the ones I've found were positive. Seeing that I could buy 2 Fuelpax for the price of 1 3gal Rotopax I figured it was worth a shot and ordered 2. I will be sure to do a review once I give them some field experience. Also, if you use the coupon code "TAKE10" on Roto/Fuelpax website you get an additional 10% off your order.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Narrow Road Adventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Unboxing review: I just got my 3.5 gal Fuelpax in today! They are made by Rotopax but are blow-molded (like most gas cans) which is a cheaper process than their standard Rotopax. The ad said they have a thinner wall so I was a bit concerned that I might not like them. However, 2 Fuelpax cost the same as 1 Rotopax so I decided it was worth the chance. I have not had a chance to use them in the field but my initial review is they are great, better than expected. More durable than any blow-molded container I've seen and feel confident they will hold up almost, if not just as well, as any Rotopax gas can. Also, the Rotopax lock mounts work well with it. I'm looking forward to getting them mounted.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Sounds good. Do you think the stacking adapter would work? It would be nice to have 2 of those on top of each other to save space on the rack.

Narrow Road Adventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

I haven't heard that. I don't see why not as far as the tank is concerned. However, gas can't be stored long term anyway as gas starts to go bad after 30 days. If you plan to have gas sitting around (in a tank or vehicle) for more than 30 days (I say 60) you should put fuel stabilizer in with your gas to help slow gas from breaking down.

wexferd_t4r

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cleveland, Ohio
Member #

Ordered a fuelpax after seeing this thread. Received it and a rotopax for water and got them mounted today. Used the Overland Equipped mounts and ladder steps so it's still usable. Sturdy and easy to access.

View attachment 18383

View attachment 18384
Nice to see someone else with overland equipped ladder steps! I'm running one, although recently installed and haven't really put it to use yet.

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
Nice to see someone else with overland equipped ladder steps! I'm running one, although recently installed and haven't really put it to use yet.

I am in :hearteyes: with that 4R! I've only used the steps a few times but they seem to be very well-made. Went with the SS bolts for an extra $5 too.

Narrow Road Adventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Sounds good. Do you think the stacking adapter would work? It would be nice to have 2 of those on top of each other to save space on the rack.
Sorry, I told you wrong. Just talked with this member of the Midwest Overlanders who said he was able to double stack his Fuelpax using a 3 gallon extension and a standard lock mount. Looks like you're in luck!

Instagram: "tferv"
Base camp: Indiana. Rig: 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Member of: Michiana Jeep Club & Midwest Overlanders