Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Prokop
Member #

I just returned from a Colorado overland trip and now that I have had time to live with/in my rig I know of few things I need to change and one thing I must do is find better cargo boxes to go on my rack. Ideally I'd like to find some that are hinged and that can be secure with a padlock. I found out that it's easier for me to get on the roof and load them up or take stuff out then it is to load them up onto the roof full. I will most likely make them so that they can be bolted onto the rack so that I can leave them there and lock them. Also, one thing I'd like to find are boxes that are no more than 18" in height so that Drag is limited. The home depot ones I have used are way too tall. So, I am sure y'all have some great ideas so please share them ! I have a Smittybuilt defender rack 4.5'x4.5'. Eventually I will have a full length gobi rack but for now this fits my purpose and budget. Thanks guys

Attachments

Last edited:

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I use 3 Pelican 1700 cases. They are all bolted to my roof rack cross bars and locked with padlocks (two on each case). They are very low profile and pop up just above my Baja drop in basket. I usually keep the stuff I don't need regular access to up there. If need be, they can hold pretty much all of my recovery gear, an entire camp set up including tent, bags, mats, hammocks and a bunch of stuff and the last one I only use if I need more space and am not bringing fuel and water Rotopax on the roof. I love them. They are expensive but worth it IMO…

Edit: They also come in a wide variety of sizes as I'm sure you already know.

Reactions: samP and Tinker

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

My setup is similar to above, but slightly different. Mine are removable (rather than bolted.)

I use (EO)2 mounts. I have used this setup to drive across major chunks of the country. No straps! Lock with padlocks on the pelicans, but easy to open the lid and live out of them.. I just chuck the camp gear down to the tent from the roof.

I have lots of big camp gear, standard sleeping bags, big self inflating air pads, etc. And I pack for up to 4 people when the whole family goes. So I need lots of space... Pelican 1730 Transport cases... 37.5 x 27.13 x 14.37" (95.25 x 68.91 x 36.5cm) (LxWxD) . Only 14.3" high!

The bottom part of the mounts are on the rack all the time. The chicken coop flooring I use is cut out around them.

The you can put the cases up there, the SNAP on and have a push lock.. so they lock to the rack.

Same height as a jerry can.

Here is a crappy video I made about it.

Love our setup...

samP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Prokop
Member #

I use 3 Pelican 1700 cases. They are all bolted to my roof rack cross bars and locked with padlocks (two on each case). They are very low profile and pop up just above my Baja drop in basket. I usually keep the stuff I don't need regular access to up there. If need be, they can hold pretty much all of my recovery gear, an entire camp set up including tent, bags, mats, hammocks and a bunch of stuff and the last one I only use if I need more space and am not bringing fuel and water Rotopax on the roof. I love them. They are expensive but worth it IMO…

Edit: They also come in a wide variety of sizes as I'm sure you already know.

Thanks that looks like a solid option although I am sure these casaes are quite pricey. I will check them out and maybe Ebay as some options.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I just returned from a Colorado overland trip and now that I have had time to live with/in my rig I know of few things I need to change and one thing I must do is find better cargo boxes to go on my rack. Ideally I'd like to find some that are hinged and that can be secure with a padlock. I found out that it's easier for me to get on the roof and load them up or take stuff out then it is to load them up onto the roof full. I will most likely make them so that they can be bolted onto the rack so that I can leave them there and lock them. Also, one thing I'd like to find are boxes that are no more than 18" in height so that Drag is limited. The home depot ones I have used are way too tall. So, I am sure y'all have some great ideas so please share them ! I have a Smittybuilt defender rack 4.5'x4.5'. Eventually I will have a full length gobi rack but for now this fits my purpose and budget. Thanks guys
Hey, Sam. I live out of my YJ and use/carry 4 Plano 1919 storage containers - http://amzn.to/2tBrEb9 - on my roof rack. They have gone through extream heat, rain, snow, and sleet and I have had no water leakage issues. They are lockable. Their only 18" high, very sturdy and hold everything I have!Crusin' The Back Roads!.jpg

samP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Prokop
Member #

samP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Prokop
Member #

x2 on the plano cases. Having handled both Plano and Pelican cases, the Pelicans are made a lot better, but the Plano is a solid budget minded option. Lockable, and still watertight. I used their rifle cases for gear.
Yeah I think that's what I will use I think. I also like the Mike's chicken coop flooring option which i also need to do since the SmittyBuilt Defender rack only has cross tubes as support and therefore not very stable of a surface to work with. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. love this community already.

Reactions: EatSleepTacos

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Yeah I think that's what I will use I think. I also like the Mike's chicken coop flooring option which i also need to do since the SmittyBuilt Defender rack only has cross tubes as support and therefore not very stable of a surface to work with. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. love this community already.
Tips on the flooring.. get the interlocking polymax chicken coop flooring. You can use a simple reciprocating saw or any saw blade to cut it pretty easily, but it is strong. It does flex, but if the bars are only a foot apart or so it wont crack or bend too much. I can walk around on that stuff easily.

Find the big 18" zip ties at a local hardware store and use those. It will be plenty strong. Just check the zip ties once a year if you get a lot of sun exposure, or are in harsh winter conditions, they can get brittle over time. I replace mine about once a year. (just the zip ties get brittle, the flooring stays perfect)

Reactions: syncro and samP

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I just recently heard about a company called MTM. They make weather proof "ammo boxes", but are large enough to be used for general purpose items. The cost is significantly lower than pelican, can be pad locked, and are stackable. I am strongly considering trying these out.

Here is an Amazon link:
The company web site: http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/ammo-crates-mtm.php

I also found a couple of YouTube reviews on them. The price makes them very attractive to me, I just don't know a lot about them yet.

I just recently heard about a company called MTM. They make weather proof "ammo boxes", but are large enough to be used for general purpose items. The cost is significantly lower than pelican, can be pad locked, and are stackable. I am strongly considering trying these out.

Here is an Amazon link:
The company web site: http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/ammo-crates-mtm.php

I also found a couple of YouTube reviews on them. The price makes them very attractive to me, I just don't know a lot about them yet.
Judging by the reviews, these things are fantastic. Thanks for posting this! I amazlyzed the reviews at fakespot.com, and it checks out.

http://fakespot.com/product/mtm-acr8-72-ammo-crate-utility-box-with-725-deep-large-dark-earth

Reactions: samP and Thelgord

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I simply use plano boxes. I added a weather seal on the lid to keep out dust.

I plan to rig a base for it for easy mount/dismount on the rack since the straps get annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: samP

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I think I will order at least one of these MTM boxes after the first and see if it will fit my needs.

Penny Money

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nyc
Member #

The best rack cases i have found are the ones Paul imports from Denmark. Equipt1 is his website. Inside the rig front runner makes some good cases and the Plano cases works really well too.

Reactions: samP

samP

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Orleans
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Prokop
Member #

Tips on the flooring.. get the interlocking polymax chicken coop flooring. You can use a simple reciprocating saw or any saw blade to cut it pretty easily, but it is strong. It does flex, but if the bars are only a foot apart or so it wont crack or bend too much. I can walk around on that stuff easily.

Find the big 18" zip ties at a local hardware store and use those. It will be plenty strong. Just check the zip ties once a year if you get a lot of sun exposure, or are in harsh winter conditions, they can get brittle over time. I replace mine about once a year. (just the zip ties get brittle, the flooring stays perfect)
Out of curiosity where did you source this flooring? This sounds like the perfect solution to put on my Smittybuilt defender rack and allows a solid platform to carry stuff. Thanks