Roof top tent

• HTML tutorial

HU5KRS1

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln, NE
Member #

Is there a roof top tent that will work with a 2016 Jeep Patriot? I looked at one and it said my vehicle is not rated for a roof top tent

HU5KRS1

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln, NE
Member #

The Yakima tents were designed to be lighter weight. I am sure Yakima also makes a rack for the Patriot to support one.
I'll have to look a little closer...I'm thinking I was on Yakima's site and when I put in the make and model of my Jeep it said something about not being safety rated for the item.

marblewan

Rank 0

Traveler I

They probably meant the factory rack is not rated for a roof top tent. Yakima and Thule roof racks are rated for heavy loads like a tent. You can get a set on Craigslist for $50. Or at any sporting or camping store. Both companies make towers to fit your Jeep. You can look up which one you need on there website.

Reactions: HU5KRS1

Deadpool_TRD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Yakima is a great option to go for if you don't want to spend on a full roof rack. I have a tepui autana on some Yakima roundbars and it works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Yakima is a great option to go for if you don't want to spend on a full roof rack. I have a tepui autana on some Yakima roundbars and it works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Our yakima rack with tower locks survived a crowbar when someone stole our truck. It was the only thing they didnt steal besides the tires. Go Yakima racks

Green hammock

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi guys, I just bought a roof top tent from Treeline Outdoors and my question is about the same as the creator of this post. I know for sure that I'll have to buy Yakima or Thule crossbars, but I have the factory side rails and I want to know if those can support the weight of the RTT and my girlfriend and I while sleeping in it. I am looking on the internets and everyone talk about the max load of the crossbars 102Lbs, but not the side rails.

So I am asking here if someone knows the information or knows where to look to get the information.

My SUV is a Rav4 2012

Thank you very much,

Math

cb919er

Rank 0

Contributor I

The main restriction with the weight you can put on your Patriot roof rack is your cross bars. Most factory cross bars are designed to handle kayaks, bikes, and other light outdoor equipment. If you upgrade your cross bars you should be just fine in getting a RTT. At the CVT store in Chattanooga they have a tent on top of a mini cooper.

Last edited: