Roof Top Tent Advice

• HTML tutorial

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

Ok, so, I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a rooftop tent. I am currently looking at a CVT or 20 Zero. I think both look good but any advice would not be turned down.

The bigger question I have is related to size, in most brands it seems that sizes are 60”ish or 72”ish… and the 84” but I don’t want to go that big. My family consists me my wife, our 4-year-old boy, and myself. I have a JK Unlimited with a GOBI rack my thoughts are a 72” tent would fit but pretty much take up the full rack, a 60” tent would fit better but I worry about getting 3 of us up there comfortably?

Does anyone with a similar-sized family have any experience? I think for the next couple of years the boy would be up in the tent with us, when he is a bit bigger I would put him down in the annex but for now, it would need to support the 3 of us. Would a 60” tent work? Or should I just commit the extra space to be more comfortable?

Thoughts?

Okieflyr

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Philadelphia
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Barnes
We have been using a different brand and slightly smaller 56x96 sleeping footprint for the two of us and a Corgi.
While it is cozy and “ok” for us, you will likely find the 60” a bit snug and getting more difficult as your young one continues to grow. I’m a small build and the wife is average middle age so we “just fit” and even with 4” more it wouldn’t be comfortable for regular use with a small child . Our fur baby is like a small third person, though he can be relegated to our feet or the annex at times unlike a young child.

Reactions: Robbie G

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
A typical queen mattress is 60" and that is the reason I went with an Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 tent. It has a nice 3" firm mattress that is 63" x 96". I wanted that extra 3 inches so I could fit in the tent with my 2 boys, one is 22 and the other is 12. Anything 60" and wider should be able to comfortably sleep 3 with one being a child.

Reactions: eagle_A40

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

A typical queen mattress is 60" and that is the reason I went with an Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 tent. It has a nice 3" firm mattress that is 63" x 96". I wanted that extra 3 inches so I could fit in the tent with my 2 boys, one is 22 and the other is 12. Anything 60" and wider should be able to comfortably sleep 3 with one being a child.
Thanks, Viking,

do you sleep 3 wide? I was thinking I could get away with a 60" if I put the wife and myself side by side and the boy crosswise at the end?

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Had a Tepui Autana 3 with family of 3. It was too small once boy hit 8years old and wife instructed me to get a larger tent. Now we have an Eezi-Awn series 3, 1800. Going from 57” wide to 71” made a huge difference. Still cozy for 3 but much better. In the coming years I’m sure the boy will speak independence in his own ground tent. He is 10 now and I see that tradition starting this summer.

Reactions: Viking1204

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Thanks, Viking,

do you sleep 3 wide? I was thinking I could get away with a 60" if I put the wife and myself side by side and the boy crosswise at the end?
In my experience this is not realistic unless you and the wife are way below average in height. The slope of the tent prevents it.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
In my experience this is not realistic unless you and the wife are way below average in height. The slope of the tent prevents it.
I'm 6'4" (76") tall and can see it happening with a younger child. My tent mattress for example is 63"W x 96"L giving a smaller child a 63"L x 20"W of space or more with shorter parents. My Overland Vehicle Systems tent sidewalls don't come in right away, there is definitely enough space there for a smaller child IMO.

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

Had a Tepui Autana 3 with family of 3. It was too small once boy hit 8years old and wife instructed me to get a larger tent. Now we have an Eezi-Awn series 3, 1800. Going from 57” wide to 71” made a huge difference. Still cozy for 3 but much better. In the coming years I’m sure the boy will speak independence in his own ground tent. He is 10 now and I see that tradition starting this summer.
Good info, Thanks so Much!