Cedar Park, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Harriger
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
I'm planning the build of my '19 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. On the subject of roof racks: I have three racks on the "possible list". Gobi, Chief Products, and Frontrunner. Chief and Frontrunner are very similar, with the plank style cross members. Gobi stands alone with the expanded metal base. My intended use is mixed; I want to be able to mount kayaks, equipment, and a roof tent (not all at the same time) and be able to use the rack as a photography platform.

My reservations with plank design of the Chief and Frontrunner racks are the that they may become slippery if they are wet or covered with frost/snow/ice. The Gobi racks solve that with the expanded metal tray, but they introduce additional challenges when mounting other equipment due to their basket design that incorporates raised rails around the platform.

If anyone else has thought about this aspect of roof rack selection, have a thought-out opinion, or actual experience with these use cases please share.

Thanks!
B

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I doubt the expended metal will actually support a man without lots of deflection. What about a sheet of plywood with some kind of high traction deck coating which could be removed when not needed. I agree, the painted metal will be slick, especially if wet.

Both Chief and Gobi list static capacity of 800# but I did not see any capacity posted for the FrontRunner rack.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHarriger

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I had hopes of using either my van or trailer as a shooting platform for my own photography.

If planning on using your rack as a shooting platform when you go camping with the RTT, you're not likely to have much room left over for standing, unless it is a reaaaally long rack. For example, I have the largest Rhino Pioneer Platform Rack on my trailer, at 100" long I believe, and with my hardshell rooftop tent installed, have only about 15" left free in length and no leftover in width.

The Rhino Rack is very similar to the Frontrunner Outfitters rack with planks and uses the same attachment accessories, etc. The main difference I see is that the planks run lengthwise instead of crossways (a fact I think makes it more aerodynamic if the tent is not installed).

If I did not have my tent, I would not hesitate using it as a photography platform.

It's not painted metal, but powdercoated, and has slight ridges in the planks, to boot, which aids traction if standing and grip for containers. Ice and snow quickly clears from the open section of my rack. In fact, it cleans easier than the windshield of my van.

Truth is, as much photography as I do, and as much wandering around North America as I've done, there haven't been that many times I really needed to get up on top of my trailer to shoot. That said, I have climbed up to the small free area and may still rig something larger for the top of my van for those rare occasions.

Also to consider is that if you have to remove or install something to be able to use it as a shooting platform--such as a tent or piece of plywood--it won't get done as often or won't have been done when that spontaneous need arises.

Here's an image of a standard hardshell RTT on a 100" platform rack. I have about 15" free on one end:

roaddude_XV2-ontheroad_4185.jpg

Hope this info helps.

BHarriger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cedar Park, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Harriger
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
I doubt the expended metal will actually support a man without lots of deflection. What about a sheet of plywood with some kind of high traction deck coating which could be removed when not needed. I agree, the painted metal will be slick, especially if wet.

Both Chief and Gobi list static capacity of 800# but I did not see any capacity posted for the FrontRunner rack.
I hadn't really considered deflection of the expanded metal yet. Good call-out. Thanks.

BHarriger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cedar Park, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Harriger
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
I had hopes of using either my van or trailer as a shooting platform for my own photography.

If planning on using your rack as a shooting platform when you go camping with the RTT, you're not likely to have much room left over for standing, unless it is a reaaaally long rack. For example, I have the largest Rhino Pioneer Platform Rack on my trailer, at 100" long I believe, and with my hardshell rooftop tent installed, have only about 15" left free in length and no leftover in width.

The Rhino Rack is very similar to the Frontrunner Outfitters rack with planks and uses the same attachment accessories, etc. The main difference I see is that the planks run lengthwise instead of crossways (a fact I think makes it more aerodynamic if the tent is not installed).

If I did not have my tent, I would not hesitate using it as a photography platform.

It's not painted metal, but powdercoated, and has slight ridges in the planks, to boot, which aids traction if standing and grip for containers. Ice and snow quickly clears from the open section of my rack. In fact, it cleans easier than the windshield of my van.

Truth is, as much photography as I do, and as much wandering around North America as I've done, there haven't been that many times I really needed to get up on top of my trailer to shoot. That said, I have climbed up to the small free area and may still rig something larger for the top of my van for those rare occasions.

Also to consider is that if you have to remove or install something to be able to use it as a shooting platform--such as a tent or piece of plywood--it won't get done as often or won't have been done when that spontaneous need arises.

Here's an image of a standard hardshell RTT on a 100" platform rack. I have about 15" free on one end:

View attachment 139096

Hope this info helps.

Thanks. That does indeed help. I definitely have better perspective on the length available now. At 60" to 70" length for my application on a WK2, a tent and platform combo seems out of the question unless I go extremely small on a tent. Not out of the question as I'll usually be solo, but food for thought/planning.

On shooting frequency: I expect to use it as a platform only a few times a year. I like to shoot endurance motor races. (i.e. IMSA) and the platform will get me above the catch fence at many tracks and there are a few other shots on my wish list that might benefit from a little elevation. :)

B

Reactions: Road

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

My reservations with plank design of the Chief and Frontrunner racks are the that they may become slippery if they are wet or covered with frost/snow/ice. The Gobi racks solve that with the expanded metal tray, but they introduce additional challenges when mounting other equipment due to their basket design that incorporates raised rails around the platform.
I'm running a Sherpa Rack on my 4Runner. It is a Backbone / Aluminum t-Slot plank rack. All but 2 of the planks on this design can be easily moved around to create a nearly solid platform if needed.
If I were planning to do photography from the top of the rig 3-4 times a year I would likely go buy a 2" wide roll of Industrial Grip tape, put the tape on the bottom of the movable planks. Then when configuring for a photography trip where this will be used. Flip the planks over and reposition them to make a platform. Or possibly buy a few extra planks and just install them between my normal ones for these trips.

If I needed to get up there on quick notice or I needed a larger contiguous flat surface I'd put 1 or both of my 1/2" plywood sleeping platforms up there. They are nearly always in the rig and could be tossed up there as quickly as I could grab my camera.

Boort

Edit: fixed annoying typos

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and BHarriger

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have a Gobi Stealth and, although I have been on it to load things for a trip - never standing - without any issues, I don't know that I would feel comfortable standing on it.

BHarriger

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cedar Park, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Harriger
Member #

Service Branch
USCG
A [very] long overdue update. I chose the Chief Products rack back in mid-2020. I went with 6 planks (one is removed in this photo as it was causing my "prototype" air dam to flutter at highway speeds combined with a strong cross wind.) I regret not purchasing the Platform Frame, which smooths the edges and adds an additional fit and finish to the rack. That component is currently on sale at Chief Products so I just ordered one. ($60 savings!)

As a photography platform, the rack has served me well. It doesn't flex or wobble and offers me enough space to move about a bit. I have used it at the beach scouting wildlife and in historical east end of Galveston, TX to get a better perspective on some architectural features and "ghost signs". I put 2-inch wide 3M Safety-Walk tape between the channels on each plank for traction. It was a perfect fit in that it does not interfere with anything I own mounting to rack channels. You can barely make out the traction tape in the attached image. I use a telescoping ladder to climb up on the rack. (I drape an old yoga mat over the rear door to protect the finish on the truck.)

In case anyone is wondering, I made what I like to call my plywood prototype fairing for the front of the rack to reduce wind noise. (These racks are incredibly noisy at US highway speeds) It has been installed for a year and works well. I have a piece of 1x1 hardwood across the back for rigidity, which has prevented the plywood from delaminating due to flexing and/or vibrating in the wind. Chief Products finally released their own that curiously mounts behind the first plank extending straight down to just above the roofline, but it is perpetually out of stock. I will probably take the drawing for this more conventional design to a fabricator and have one made out of aluminum if I'm not able to try out Chief's in another month or two. (I am worried that weather will eventually take its toll on the plywood, making it unsafe to remain on the rack.)

Thanks to the previous posters for your help.

IMG_0634.jpeg

Reactions: Boort