Advocate III

Žuvų gatvė 9-2, Šakiai, 47412 Lithuania
First Name
Tomas
Last Name
Karlonas
Member #

Hi,

has prepared some key pints for roof rack for my local forum so was thinking to put here a translation:

Choosing any roof rack should start with the goal i.e. WHAT and WHERE to take with her. WHAT WE WILL PUT ON THE ROOF This question is very important primarily because of weight; It is divided into 3 categories:
- [x] on the road
- [x] off road
- [x] static (standing)
First on the road some manufacturers recommend up to 120kg estimating that there will be no major bumps i.e. asphalt or light gravel.
The second move is where there are large bumps and the car has large movements in the LEFT / RIGHT directions. often recommended weight 50-80kg
Third - the static weight is how much the roof of the car can keep the car stationary i.e. for example, if 4 people sleep in the roof rack, it can get 300-400kg

WHERE - this question is important when choosing whether we need a strong OFFRoad-suitable roof rack, or maybe a simple one is enough, because even if we put a heavier weight, we will not go to deep forests, but only to the local lake.

WEIGHT - it is important to remember to evaluate not only the weight of the load, but also the weight of the luggage itself, as well as the maximum permissible weight of the car. for example the Wrangler has only 470kg with passengers, and if the whole family does not have much weight left in the load. Aluminum will be light about 20-30 kg where a metal trunk can reach 80-100kg

Maybe you’ll want to put in just a few accessories like an ax, a shovel, a hi lift, a box with less used items or a box with offroad rope and so on.
With a heavy weight, the car will behave a little differently on the road, it will be harder to stop it or change the lane on the road quickly to avoid a collision (moose test).

ATTACHMENT - when choosing the following, pay attention to how the roof rack attaches to the car:
- [x] rain rails - the weight stored here will depend on what the car manufacturer recommends on the roof
- [x] on the horns (if any) - in this case the permissible weight on the roof will also be more influenced by the car manufacturer
- [x] integrated fastening with reinforced construction (Rhiino Rack) - in the case of a wrangler, additional metal integrated fastenings are installed inside the cabin, they are not even visible, but allow to carry a lot of weight
- [x] or loose to remove - you may not intend to ride in the roof rack at all

Where to buy - there are many different sellers, but I would advise buying in your own city or at least in your own country because if you need to deal with any repair or warranty issues, it is always better to deal with them on the spot;

Some brands I would recommend:
RHINO RACK - strong aluminum
ARB - aluminum

Attachments