Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have been researching the rack options, and it seems there are three ways to go.

1. Gobi - a fan favorite. While I am not a fan of the install around the bumper and front end, not drilling into the hard top is always preferred.

2. Frontrunner and AEV - both are pretty similar though I prefer the AEV, drilling into the roof, difficult to remove, and folks seem to think best just to leave it on, especially with the Frontrunner.

3. Eezi-awn k9 - not really that adopted as others. However, easy on and off compared to others. Does not hold as much, but that might be a good thing. How much weight do you really want up top? More than 200lbs? While I think Eezi-awn is a great company, and their rep here in the US is one of the best it seems (hat tip to Paul), I can not shake the feeling of failing fiberglass due to roof weight.

I would appreciate any insight from this really informed community. My goal is to only use the rack a few times a year. I also don't want to carry a lot of weight on top. Awning, Max Tracks, recovery gear, chairs, and tables, about 170 lbs total.

No RTT, no water or fuel, no pull-pall or hi-jack or shovel.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I run a garvin roof rack and really dig it. do have to drill into the body though at the back. I like the Gobis low profile. I think @Narbob runs the aev and seems to really like his.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I'm using the FrontRunner 1/2 rack on my Jeep and I do like it. However, to do it again I'd probably go with a Gobi full rack. I wasn't very comfortable drilling 16 holes through the roof and of course the front 8 were off by about .08", RTV becomes your friend! I only use it for MaxTraxx, shovel, an occasional duffle bag, awning and to hang two side and rear led's.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Personally, I don't like roof racks because they increase your height, COG and mostly look goofy on Jeeps. If I were to get one though, It would be the Rhino Rack Backbone. It's removable, and can use their Pioneer tray or platform.

Last edited:

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

I've been researching roof racks for me and in the process came across this YT video for the Smittybilt Defender rack: . Maybe this is an option for you. Looks pretty well built and rather simple and non-intrusive install.

pdxplorer15

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, OR
Member #

I ran the Kargo Master Congo rack on my JK (2 dr, but they make a 4 dr version). It was very solid. I liked that it bolted to the frame and windshield hinges. Like the Garvin, it will tilt back so you can remove your hard or soft top without removing the rack. I had to make my own light mounts, as the rack didn't have a provision for them. It looks a little goofy with no top and the basket, but it worked for me. IMO, they look better on JKU's and the design has evolved a fair bit since my early generation version.

http://kmsafaristore.com/en/jk-congo-pro-cages/188-jk-congo-pro-4-door-kit-.html

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I've been looking at roof racks too, leaning towards the Frontrunner. But kinda scared of the drilling holes thing. I found this YT vid kind sells me on their roof rack.

Reactions: Tim and pdxplorer15

Travis Barker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Antonio
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Barker
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
If I don't go with frontrunner, I will most likely go with Gobi. Buddy of mine has one on his JKU and loves it.

Dayton Sweet

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Garrett, Indiana
Member #

The pioneer back bone system and rack seems ideal, but you are talking well over 2.5k for that system, and when all you are looking to put up there is ideally not that much weight. After riding with a jeep top heavy, that is not something I generally want to do. The AEV rack is sourced by the Rhino Rack folks, and assembly etc looks pretty good. If money were no option... but honestly it always is.

This is why the K9 seemed like a good way to get the same low profile as the AVE, Rhino Rack, and Frontrunner, but less invasive. While it can't hold as much weight, that it not a goal. When the rack is not on you just have two very low profile tracks. The other plus is welded, no bolts. The big fear is supporting just using the fiberglass.

Reactions: Travis Barker

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I run a Warrior Products Renegade roof rack. Really like it for tossing camping gear and stuff up there. It's completely bolt on and doesn't take very long to remove. Mine is the fastback version.

I put the air dam on it because it's noisy as hell.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The pioneer back bone system and rack seems ideal, but you are talking well over 2.5k for that system, and when all you are looking to put up there is ideally not that much weight. After riding with a jeep top heavy, that is not something I generally want to do. The AEV rack is sourced by the Rhino Rack folks, and assembly etc looks pretty good. If money were no option... but honestly it always is.

This is why the K9 seemed like a good way to get the same low profile as the AVE, Rhino Rack, and Frontrunner, but less invasive. While it can't hold as much weight, that it not a goal. When the rack is not on you just have two very low profile tracks. The other plus is welded, no bolts. The big fear is supporting just using the fiberglass.
I see you're down the road from me in Burlington. Welcome to the forum.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OK GUYS,,,,the original post on this was not my post.. I don't own a JKU, and I already have a rack... I've been hi-jacked,,, but I will add my 2 cents to the OP from Virginia that posed the question....... I shopped for a rack for my 80 series for nearly 2 years, himming and hawing over this and over that...... I knew I wanted aluminum, I'd been the heavy, high maintenance steel route before. I knew I wanted to deal with an organization that was world renowned, I knew I wanted a rack that I could integrate into our overlanding style.. Up top we carry a 60 +/- lb tent, a pair of treds, a shovel, a propane tank, and a 125 watt solar panel... Once all of my criteria was met, then I went with Frontrunner for one major reason... price... True, that full rack was 1200, any quality rck will be at least 1,000. But the shipping is absolutely free. Since I bought the rack I've also added a propane bottle holder, an awning, a couple of extra eye rings, and some expo rails around the rear corners and back. I've also added a couple of extra slats for the ends of the tent roll bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: QCrunner

pdxplorer15

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, OR
Member #

Just so you know, it was not an intentional hack. I was logged in as me when I wrote the question. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.
That happened to me as well yesterday. I came to the site and was already logged on, but as someone else. I logged out and logged back in as me. Weird.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

It's good to mention that on a JK make sure you get a rack that's supported by metal. If the rack mounts through the hardtop, make sure it has brackets that go through to the roll cage like the Frontrunner or Teraflex racks. Going through the roof to actual structure is what gives those racks the ~600lb ratings. The unsupported hardtop is only good for about 200lbs (and that's pushing it for offroad use) including the weight of the rack.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app