Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

So I was out on a trip and needed to put some boxes on the roof rack. Now, my rack has huge openings unlike most racks (kinda a pain). The boxes that I had kept sliding around and couldn't sit properly on the bars.

So I came up with an idea...

What if we got PVC pipe and made dividers? Attaching them to the side rails and running them across at whatever width you need.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Gabe IMG_20190423_082115.jpeg

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Polyurethane bungees would work as well and would be easier to remove/configure as needed. Tekton is having a sale 13 of them for 26 bucks. These are the ones I recommend cause you can adjust the size and attach other bungees.

I like this idea, but I also need to be able to strap items (like boxes) to the PVC as well.

Thanks for the idea!

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

It worked! I bought 2 of the Ts and a long section of the PVC (cannot remember the size). I broke one T trying to put it on the rack, but the 2nd one worked! I originally thought that it would slip back forth, but I stays put unless pushed/pulled with a good amount of force. Cut them with a Dremel.

I did a little bit at a time until it popped on. Next up is to get some more and then spray paint them black to match the rack.

Let me know what y'all think.

GabeIMG_20190428_121604.jpegIMG_20190428_121539.jpegIMG_20190428_121732~2.jpeg

Reactions: SubeeBen

SandStorm87

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Bow WA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Krsak
Member #

It worked! I bought 2 of the Ts and a long section of the PVC (cannot remember the size). I broke one T trying to put it on the rack, but the 2nd one worked! I originally thought that it would slip back forth, but I stays put unless pushed/pulled with a good amount of force. Cut them with a Dremel.

I did a little bit at a time until it popped on. Next up is to get some more and then spray paint them black to match the rack.

Let me know what y'all think.

GabeView attachment 95451View attachment 95452View attachment 95453
if slipping becomes an issue, things like lights that mount on handle bars of bicycles have some thin rubber that goes between the mount and the handle bars. Something like that might help, but that's a cool idea.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman