Launch Member

Contributor III

Wolfforth, TX, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Archer
Member #

I know they say the grass is always greener on the other side, so I wanted to get some opinions. I have my first roof rack awning coming in this week, and wanted to hear opinions on why you mounted your awning on the passenger/driver side of your vehicle. Thanks!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Driver's side of my trailer because that's the side with the best hookups for my outdoor kitchen.

Some folks prefer the awning on the passenger side so they can deploy it when parked along a curb, so the awning goes out over ground, not the street or trail. To be honest, in all the time I've used mine, pretty much full time for over two years and all over the country, it's never bothered me to have it on the driver's side.

I do have one I'm gonna put on the van, too, and that will be on the passenger side, because I want it to cover and shade the side doors on that side.

rttup-noawning_0166-1000.jpg

190917-steep_2997-1000.jpg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Driver's side of my trailer because that's the side with the best hookups for my outdoor kitchen.

Some folks prefer the awning on the passenger side so they can deploy it when parked along a curb, so the awning goes out over ground, not the street or trail. To be honest, in all the time I've used mine, pretty much full time for over two years and all over the country, it's never bothered me to have it on the driver's side.

I do have one I'm gonna put on the van, too, and that will be on the passenger side, because I want it to cover and shade the side doors on that side.

View attachment 127615

View attachment 127616
You make a lot of sense ! I don't have one currently, I prefer a canopy so that it's not attached to my rig at all. I wouldn't mind having a slumberjack for the rear of the vehicle but it would also have to be attached.
However if I camped in one spot for a week or more like I think you do, the slumberjack would be an excellent canopy set up for someone without a trailer like yours.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
You make a lot of sense ! I don't have one currently, I prefer a canopy so that it's not attached to my rig at all. I wouldn't mind having a slumberjack for the rear of the vehicle but it would also have to be attached.
However if I camped in one spot for a week or more like I think you do, the slumberjack would be an excellent canopy set up for someone without a trailer like yours.
The Slumberjack can also stand alone. It's a great product for the price.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The Slumberjack can also stand alone. It's a great product for the price.

Not to derail this thread about attached awnings and which side (and if you have replies to this use the thread linked to, I guess), but if you mean the Roadhouse Tarp from Slumberjack (Slumberjack markets a number of things), I have one and have used it a couple times.

Here's a post I made last July in response to someone asking about it. I've used it more since then and the review still stands. It's rather lightweight fabric (I have links in my review to what 68D and 1200mm coating means), meant more as temporary shade shelter for the day, in my experience, not really overnight or longer, though I'm sure some folks do use it that way.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Not to derail this thread about attached awnings and which side (and if you have replies to this use the thread linked to, I guess), but if you mean the Roadhouse Tarp from Slumberjack (Slumberjack markets a number of things), I have one and have used it a couple times.

Here's a post I made last July in response to someone asking about it. I've used it more since then and the review still stands. It's rather lightweight fabric (I have links in my review to what 68D and 1200mm coating means), meant more as temporary shade shelter for the day, in my experience, not really overnight or longer, though I'm sure some folks do use it that way.
You didn't derail anything Road, you added valuable info for us dummies (at least me).
That was a very good review. I may not follow your advise at times but not because it isn't good ! I have a little advantage over you young studs. I won't be around long enough to buy the good products. I can get by with buying junk for my (I am sure) short time use.
So please everyone out there reading my post,
Understand that I am old and things I buy don't have to have longevity ! Everything for me is temporary in nature ! My mind hasn't figured out yet that my body won't be around that much longer. It just dosent know I am an old man. Cheers

woody

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

SAN DIEGO,CA
Member #

I know they say the grass is always greener on the other side, so I wanted to get some opinions. I have my first roof rack awning coming in this week, and wanted to hear opinions on why you mounted your awning on the passenger/driver side of your vehicle. Thanks!
Practice switching the awning from side to side in the field, really not that hard. Life dictates it will always end up on the wrong side due to room, wind, sun or rain.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I've considered placing brackets for the awning on each side so it can be easily moved. I've also considered just having two awnings. With the rooftop tent open though, that does give me partial coverage on the side opposite the large awning, and I have a small awning on the rear as well. (Pic was from the Hampton Roads International Auto Show back in January. I got paid to set my rig up on display for the weekend.)
49745712_2274886035855563_7929519873443495936_o.jpg

gDanCO

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Thornton, CO, USA
Member #

I am about to take delivery of my first awning and can see the argument for both sides. I generally spend more time on the driver side, as driver and letting my dog in and out of the driver side. On the argument for the passesnger side, it makes sense for those situation when you park the car and extend to the camping area. Depending on how much hassle it is to put it on and off the vehicle, I may must set up mounting for both sides. Then again I probably should just make a decision and chose one. Thoughts?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I've tried my awning on both sides. I prefer it on the driver's side because I seem the one who seems to go in an out of the truck the most and so I don't want to have to walk around the rig to get back into shade. Faster the better. Plus how my camper shell and roof rack is configured, I can no longer put the awning on the passenger side. As it turns out the cargo box I bought only opens up on the right / passenger side lol, so easy decision for me.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Do you guys really use your awnings that much? I’ve had several on RVs, ones that were easier to deploy than those on cars, and I quit using it that much because it was a PITA to deal with. I’m scared I’d mount one on the rack and then never use it because it’s such a pain. Camping where there is always shade may help.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Do you guys really use your awnings that much? I’ve had several on RVs, ones that were easier to deploy than those on cars, and I quit using it that much because it was a PITA to deal with. I’m scared I’d mount one on the rack and then never use it because it’s such a pain. Camping where there is always shade may help.
We will find out. I have one on order.

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

I use mine quite a bit when I go mountain biking. Its great for post ride beers to get out of the sun/rain. Mine also has a light built into it so it's great for late night cooking.

Reactions: Wallygator

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would rather have a canopy with sidewalls or screens.

Reactions: Wallygator