Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Good luck at that price. A length of 16" PVC pipe would cost more than that.
Why would I need 16” PVC? It’s 11”x11” so a 12” PVC pipe would work… But… v v v zlooks like a better choice…

Got this for surf rods and all. Sits on a rack atop the bed of the F150. Sticks off the end past the number maybe 5 inches.
This looks like a good solution, thanks… I’m actually thinking about going the DIY route. I have the plans all drawn up just waiting for @K Rose to give me the final bill of approval before posting my files (I’ll probably start my own thread on the build).

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Why would I need 16” PVC? It’s 11”x11” so a 12” PVC pipe would work… But… v v v zlooks like a better choice…
a 12" circle cannot contain an 11" by 11" square. Picture your requirement as four 5.5" squares. The diagonal of each square is about 7.8 inches, which is the radius of your circle, double that for the diameter, so 15.6" rounds up to a 16" pipe.

Reactions: M Rose and KAIONE

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
a 12" circle cannot contain an 11" by 11" square. Picture your requirement as four 5.5" squares. The diagonal of each square is about 7.8 inches, which is the radius of your circle, double that for the diameter, so 15.6" rounds up to a 16" pipe.
yes you are right, I messed up my math… but… if you finish reading my post, you will see I’m going to DIY my box… which is why I was asking for a box under $200.00 because materials come to $190.00 to build the box… maybe under that even since I already have the hinges and latching mechanism with locks.

Reactions: Old Tanker

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I just keep my recovery gear in mine.

What all do you guys put in your roof box?
same as @MiamiC70. since the roof box is a bit more difficult to access, i just use it for recovery gear (which i have yet to need) and oddball items like extra tarps, straps, basically stuff i shouldnt need, but have just in case

Reactions: MiamiC70

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
same as @MiamiC70. since the roof box is a bit more difficult to access, i just use it for recovery gear (which i have yet to need) and oddball items like extra tarps, straps, basically stuff i shouldnt need, but have just in case
You make a good point, however we use the 4Runner for our daily driver. @KRose works swing shift, so when she gets off at 11:00 pm we hit the road. We need a place to keep the Gazelle T4 Plus on the rig secured and out of the elements. Right now she is upset with me because our sleeping bag and air mattress, and cooking set is taking up all the room in her trunk.
The cook system I have a plan for that she is happy with and will save 80% of her trunk space. The bedding is too bulky and is packed down as small as it can go… so to the roof it goes… tent is too long to fit inside the Runner without dropping the rear seat… but we have kids, so where do they ride? What about the dogs.

The Tent is the largest and heaviest piece of gear that we take with us… currently it’s strapped to the makeshift roof rack, a roof box wouldn’t make sliding the tent up onto the roof any more difficult. On my good days I can buck it up there like bucking bales of hay. On bad days I slide it up using the side rails of the roof rack to balance and slide the tent up into position… either way would work for me to get the tent into the box as well.

Reactions: grubworm