Rank II

Enthusiast I

NC
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Honeyraptor
Member #

As the title says, ROAM or PELICAN when it comes to storage boxes? I have both and several other brands but for the price, I think it's a fair comparison.
My take:
1. ROAM...solid but seems they outsource to whomever, get it back and sell it. Example; I just received another ROAM box (95L) and the struts are in different positions then the previous one (not allowing the box to fully open at 90 degrees). Not a huge problem, but a quality one.
2. ROAM lid bags. Have 2 on a 95L and 105L and the nuts inside the lid(s) broke loose and won't allow the bag to be fully seated. ROAMS response...."we'll send you JB WELD to fix them free".....LOL WHAT? O.k., live and learn I guess.
3. PELICAN quality seems to be much better e.g., metal hardware, spring loaded handles, metal tie downs etc.
4. PELICAN....$$

Both are excellent storage solutions and will definitely do the job they were intended to do, but was just wondering what everyone's opinion was that have them. I realize, there are MUCH cheaper options, so that's not the question.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
Well, that sucks about Roam......and it just is in keeping with the general lack of customer service/support that companies that are re-sellers have vs. those that actually MAKE the product. Buyer beware. That truly sucks about Roam, whom I thought to be better than that.

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
I shopped Pelican, Roam and a few others, when looking for a rooftop storage box. I found time to inspect and fondle before purchase and I think the Pelican boxes are very, very nice. However, I also think the Roam boxes are great and I bought the 95l. It's excellent. I also now own a Roam cooler, and a Roam awning. Quality is excellent.

I had occasion to contact customer service with questions about the 95l and they were polite, fast and thorough as possible: I asked for something they don't have (an attachment system for my Garvin rack) and the fella called me direct, spent time strategizing and later followed up to compliment the photo I sent of my solution. Better yet, he alerted me to a very good deal on the awning, which matches the box, the cooler and the stuff growing in my shower tile. I gotta say, the gas-struts on the lid of the 95l freaking RULE.

Attachments

kowboy17

Rank II

Enthusiast I

NC
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Honeyraptor
Member #

I shopped Pelican, Roam and a few others, when looking for a rooftop storage box. I found time to inspect and fondle before purchase and I think the Pelican boxes are very, very nice. However, I also think the Roam boxes are great and I bought the 95l. It's excellent. I also now own a Roam cooler, and a Roam awning. Quality is excellent.

I had occasion to contact customer service with questions about the 95l and they were polite, fast and thorough as possible: I asked for something they don't have (an attachment system for my Garvin rack) and the fella called me direct, spent time strategizing and later followed up to compliment the photo I sent of my solution. Better yet, he alerted me to a very good deal on the awning, which matches the box, the cooler and the stuff growing in my shower tile. I gotta say, the gas-struts on the lid of the 95l freaking RULE.
Agree on the struts being really nice but the fact that I have 2 95l and the struts are in a different spot makes me wonder who does QA. The customer service reps were also very nice but the fact that the answer from them (after I sent them a video of the issue) was, "yes, we've seen that before, we can send you JB Weld to fix it free" wasn't what I was looking for when spending that type of money for a solution.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have a tendency to purchase products from manufacturers that specialize in only a couple of items. That’s getting harder to do because the small mom & pops are getting bought up by large corporations. Even though Thule bought Tepui, I still bought a Tepui. I have some cheap storage boxes I bolt to the roof rack and they serve the purpose, but for the really important fragile gear, Pelican all the way.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Pelican all the way, they're a lot of money but worth it imo. We mostly use them for shipping and transit of spaceflight hardware at the day job, but they hold up in the field and we've very rarely had issues, even when throwing them out of airplanes.

The Roam boxes are nice, but as others are pointing out, they're consumer grade gear.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

SKB, Seahorse, and Pelican are the big 3 in protective cases. SKB and Seahorse don't market much into the overland world, all are great cases. I have purchased all of them for business and personal use over the years. I have looked at ROME cases and they are good, just not as good as the other three. IMO

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I’m not a high end camera guy but a couple pals that are into good camera equipment swear by their Pelican boxes. As for myself, I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. I’d probably be good with the Harbor Freight Apache boxes. Then again, I say I’m “resourceful” and my brother says I’m “cheap”...

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I have Pelican and Nanuk cases, Nanuk's are made in Canada, eh.? Similar sizes for both, Nanuk latches are different, very positive engagement and they are a little less costly. I picked up a couple of my Peli cases off Craigslist, older models yet still a lot of life left.

kowboy17

Rank II

Enthusiast I

NC
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Honeyraptor
Member #

I have Pelican and Nanuk cases, Nanuk's are made in Canada, eh.? Similar sizes for both, Nanuk latches are different, very positive engagement and they are a little less costly. I picked up a couple of my Peli cases off Craigslist, older models yet still a lot of life left.

Checked those out. Look nice. Are they are 'heavy' as the Pelican or ROAM? (thickness?). They seem a little like the PLANO?

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
I’m not a high end camera guy but a couple pals that are into good camera equipment swear by their Pelican boxes. As for myself, I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. I’d probably be good with the Harbor Freight Apache boxes. Then again, I say I’m “resourceful” and my brother says I’m “cheap”...
I'll second the Apache boxes from Harbor Freight. I know people who trust them with their expensive music equipment and they're definitely affordable compared to most other options. Maybe you want to get real Pelican cases for particularly expensive equipment, but the Apache cases are more than adequate for 95% of stuff and will save a ton of money! (buy a few, save hundreds of dollars compared to similar Pelicans, then buy yourself something nice)

kowboy17

Rank II

Enthusiast I

NC
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Honeyraptor
Member #

I'll second the Apache boxes from Harbor Freight. I know people who trust them with their expensive music equipment and they're definitely affordable compared to most other options. Maybe you want to get real Pelican cases for particularly expensive equipment, but the Apache cases are more than adequate for 95% of stuff and will save a ton of money! (buy a few, save hundreds of dollars compared to similar Pelicans, then buy yourself something nice)
Just checked them out and man those are way cheaper and will do the job for 95% of the items that go into them. Thanks to you both for the suggestion!

Reactions: bamakojon

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
Just checked them out and man those are way cheaper and will do the job for 95% of the items that go into them. Thanks to you both for the suggestion!
Not a problem! Not enough people know about them and I hate to see people spend tons of money on stuff that won't serve them any better! Also, if you have a Harbor Freight nearby you can go get your hands on them in-store to really get a feel for them.

kowboy17

Rank II

Enthusiast I

NC
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Honeyraptor
Member #

Not a problem! Not enough people know about them and I hate to see people spend tons of money on stuff that won't serve them any better! Also, if you have a Harbor Freight nearby you can go get your hands on them in-store to really get a feel for them.
Amen. Just saw my local HB has them in stock. I'll be checking them out. Thanks!

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Amen. Just saw my local HB has them in stock. I'll be checking them out. Thanks!
I recently picked up both the Apache 4800 and the 5800 to use one for holding/installing a Chinese Diesel Heater and the other is destined to contain my solar generator with the LiFePO4 batts I ordered off AlliExpress. They are pretty stout boxes. I watched a few YouTube’s on comparing the Apache cases to the Pelican. They are slightly less sturdy than the Pelican equivalents but for the money and my intended use, I’m Ok with it.

Reactions: kowboy17

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I’ve been using Pelican VAULT rifle cases because they’re lighter and just as good as the normal rifle cases. But did purchase some ROAM boxes which fit in different configurations up top. I think it depends on what you’re carrying in them too. I throw my shovel and recovery gear with extra flares etc in them for easy access. The ROAM’s seem to carry a bit more due to the height and width and aren’t that much heavier. Having the tops stay open and not flop over is a pro for sure. Tough call and will make a final call after a few trips with the ROAM’s up top. Stay safe and happy trailing!

Reactions: kowboy17

Guest_79ba40

Rank 0
First Name
Last Name
Adventurer
As the title says, ROAM or PELICAN when it comes to storage boxes? I have both and several other brands but for the price, I think it's a fair comparison.
My take:
1. ROAM...solid but seems they outsource to whomever, get it back and sell it. Example; I just received another ROAM box (95L) and the struts are in different positions then the previous one (not allowing the box to fully open at 90 degrees). Not a huge problem, but a quality one.
2. ROAM lid bags. Have 2 on a 95L and 105L and the nuts inside the lid(s) broke loose and won't allow the bag to be fully seated. ROAMS response...."we'll send you JB WELD to fix them free".....LOL WHAT? O.k., live and learn I guess.
3. PELICAN quality seems to be much better e.g., metal hardware, spring loaded handles, metal tie downs etc.
4. PELICAN....$$

Both are excellent storage solutions and will definitely do the job they were intended to do, but was just wondering what everyone's opinion was that have them. I realize, there are MUCH cheaper options, so that's not the question.
I have a pelican case that’s about 20 years old. I’ve never had any issues with any of the five cases I own.