Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Some of you have seen me on Expo or other forums but I thought I would share the 30 day, 4500 miles roadtrip that will build my van for SEMA 2019.
Join the insanity.
Day -1 of SEMA 2019 Build a Ford Transit 4x4 Poptop Van Roadtrip

Update time for everyone, we ARE in Kansas anymore Toto! Or Claycomo to be more precise. But amidst the soybean fields, I found where Ford grows Transit vans! And some of them grow pretty tall.

And I admit I geeked out a bit at the serious architecture of the Ford Assembly Plant, very solid.

Now you know I am embarking on a serious Overland Trip when I drive through Overland Park and even see Overland Photo supply since it is really all about the ‘gram after all.

Back home Dave the Fabricator (really of Rock Solid Products) is working hard on the double tube rack to handle the torsional load of the massive 23Zero awning, 270 degrees and 280 square foot of coverage are not to be messed with, plus something has to support the Lightforce Nightfall LED’s

Meanwhile, I am testing a new leg while trying not to abuse the temp socket too much.

Also just before I left I wanted to put in a new Treehouse to Tacoma gasket and make sure everything is right on this setup before I put it up for sale. So if you know anyone who needs a killer ready to roll ride this is the one.

Lastly, for today, there is still some parts selection going on. Quadvan just sent me these pictures of their Intercooler skid, Transfer Case skid, and Gas Tank skid. Yeah, I ordered them all. I had already ordered the VanCompass intercooler skid and rear diff skid but it is nice to have everything come from one place so I think I will switch out to the Quadvan products since they are doing the 4wd conversion.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Quick Details and I will try for full disclousure....
2019 Ford Transit 130wb regular body, low roof....I am paying $33K from Matt Ford, great dealer 20mi from the Transit factory.
Sportsmobile poptop $10k est paying retail
Quadvan 4wd conversion $15k est paying retail
Aluminess front bumper $3k paid retail
Method 701 50% off
Eaton F & R trutrac paying retail
Lightforce lights full sponsorship
Victron solar & lithium battery (I bought the residential panel but Victron full sponsorship on most of the rest, except Blue Sea and misc bits)
Mile Marker winch full sponsorship
Extreme Outback on board air, wholesale pricing
MaxxTrax 4 of them in red, 20% discount
Rollercam straps full sponsorship
ARB X-jack, paid retail
L-track, paid retail
Scheel-man amazing seats, got a deal on demo seats $1500

I will add more to this list, but I am currently running around Kansas City trying to arrange the van delivery, yeah it actually gets built TOMORROW.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Day 0 of SEMA 2019 Build a Ford Transit 4×4 Poptop Van Roadtrip

Today is the Day a Van gets built…..I think, I hope, I have not been able to make sure, but I trust the power of positive thinking, and a little 1 leg luck.

Yesterday I spent a bunch of time with the great folks at Matt Ford, from the parts guys that helped me figure out where some boost/pressure sensors where (cool news coming on that) to the finance fellow Fred who helped me pay for a van that doesn’t actually exist yet.

I also got to test drive a high top, 148 Ecoboost for a buddy. I had been telling folks how easy it was to deal with Ed and the folks at Matt Ford and there are actually people who want high roof vans. After seeing how much room is inside those things I can understand why. Now I can say I am really an influencer since a deposit was made and a trip arranged for another VanLifer to join the fray.

Another cool thing about Ed the mighty salesman is how tight he is with the Transit powers at Ford. From big things like the new CrewVan model to small things like a factory floor mat. And never scoff at a well-designed product like this floormat, after all the times Martin our engineer has complained about a poor design I get that the little things matter. The 2 part design keeps you from spilling the dirt and rocks out when you want to dump that mess. Not bad price at $95 (I paid for it quick, they only had 1 left).

Of course, I had to end the day with some Kansas City BBQ, and I knew my belly led me in the right direction when I saw a Transit parked in front of Slaps. They were out of ribs by 6 pm but everyone knows a quality joint should run out of meat each evening. Never trust a place that has plenty of long smoked meat around.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
So I don't have a build thread on this forum (they are on Expo & Ford Transit forum) but I figured full disclosure is important to this crowd.

Rather than have everyone think this is some big corp project, I am paying for most of this project as something fun for my sons and I which is why we have Peg Leg Garage. Part time job for each of us to keep the regular jobs from driving us crazy.

So here is the budget breakdown and I will update it as time goes on.....

I wrote up a budget and updated it with where the cash is flowing up to this point.
All about full disclosure for everyone, unless I say I got a discount or price is To Be Determined (TBD) then I am paying the amount shown.

You can read the details on the website, I will try to update it at least once a week

but for those who don't want to click around here is the meat right off the bone.....oh and my running total might be off now and then, sorry
$34k Van : 2019 Ford Transit 130 RB LR 3.5 ecoboost
$14k Sportsmobile color matched poptop & more
$ TBD Quadvan 4wd conversion getting everything they have
$3k Alumiess front bumper
$600 Extreme Outback Endura compressor (x2), tank and all the bits
$270 ARB X-Jack
$560 MaxxTrax (4 red board & mounting pins) 20% disc
$2550 Van Compass tuned rear Fox resi shocks, storage box, bump stops, grab handles, ditch light brackets, front Bilstein struts
$ TBD Vehicle Graphics
$788 Method 701 (x5) & lug nuts w/ shipping (50% disc)
$ TBD Rock Solid Products custom roof rack and panel inserts and more
$ TBD Tires, mount & balance
$ TBD Lightforce LED lights (price depends on how much I help them)
$ TBD Mile Marker winch (price depends on how much I help them)
$110 Winch cradle for rec’r hitch, out of stock at Mile Marker
$800 Northern Arizona Wind & Sun solar panel and misc bits
$1034 Heatshield Products (if I get the right media coverage 100% refund possible)
$ TBD Misc circuit breakers, wire, zip ties, loom and more
$ TBD Plus nuts for interior mounting options
$ TBD L-track
$ TBD Rollercam straps of all kinds (price depends on how much I help)
$ TBD SafeJack Rennstands, Bottle Jack, Jack plate (price depends on how much I help them)
$ TBD 7P International Recovery Ring/Soft Shackle (10% disc)
$ TBD Paint for fab work
$ TBD Glue, panel & vinyl for interior
$1500 Scheel-man driver/pass seats (demo units at disc)
$ 700 Fridge (NIB off craigslist, but I would still like a partner on that)
$ TBD Owl Vans Rear tire carrier and Sherpa panel
$ TBD 23Zero Peregrine 270deg awning & walls (price depends on help)
$ TBD Racechip Tuning setup (price depends on how much I help)
$59,912 total so far

Reactions: vtrover

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Transit Van for the win. I road tripped to SEMA last year. Had a blast. This looks like a lot of fun and a lot of work. Good luck.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Today things should be done at Sportsmobile West:
Electric Poptop w/bed, color matched in bedliner, with thule rails, solar wiring/panel install
Drivers side awning window
$14,800 total tax and all and yea I paid that with tax, no sponsorship...love these folks.
Oh and I sold out

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Today things should be done at Sportsmobile West:
Electric Poptop w/bed, color matched in bedliner, with thule rails, solar wiring/panel install
Drivers side awning window
$14,800 total tax and all and yea I paid that with tax, no sponsorship...love these folks.
Oh and I sold out
Glad to see things are still progressing! Thanks again for coming out with us last weekend for a cruise. Hope to bump into you again, maybe in your neck of the woods.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I had such a great time on the Kansas dirt roads!
I promise a big post soon, I am tracking data on weight gain, mpg and thoughts on the mods....
Looking forward to it! I'd like to get anything you have from our day trip if possible!

Reactions: KonzaLander

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
PLG & Forum Update 10/16 only 18 days to Build a Van

Currently at in the Aluminess Customer Louge writing this up while the shop folks make front bumper magic happen.
Like many things along “the road to SEMA” (I am almost getting tired of saying that), I am sure there will be mistakes in my vision, my plan, my understanding of how all the bits will fit together. And like the previous mistakes the killer cool people helping me will make something great come out of it.
Lightforce sent flush mount Venom lights which was a cool idea, but Aluminess had already built the bumper with a tube to protect a standard single post mount 6in light. Luckily Lightforce is smarter than me and sent a set of that style Venom also. I am really curious which will work (or maybe 1 set IN the bumper and the other ON TOP !

I did ask for the weight of all the Ford bits they are taking off…..sorry super happy assembly line people. And a weight of the bumper going on since it is all about the data for you folks.

Sportsmobile actually finished up at the time they said they would when Jason quoted me weeks ago. It is nice that the operation there is so well run. Having the guys who worked on the van sign the back door was my favorite part. And some of them had been part of my van almost 10yrs before. That is a sign of a good company if folks stay around, especially since moving OUT of California would be a solid business choice for the owners. But nope, good employees are worth way too much to move away from.

Of all the shinny metal that was removed I was able to save the window slug which will get some pics stuck on and go in my shop. Hard to let all that pretty red paint go to scrap.

If you are ever passing through Fresno it is well worth the time to stop in the showroom. They have pretty much every configuration you want and you can see a 60’s VW and soon a 70’s Ford for historical comparison.
Oh and before you start thinking this is a paid post, well NOPE I paid the same price you would. $14,800 for an Electric Poptop, color matched in bedliner, solar panel install (my panel) with wiring, Drivers side awning window and too many laughs and jokes to count.

VanLife is the hot ticket right now, so if you are thinking of having someone else build your van, just ask:
How long have you been doing this?
How many have you built?

Now that said, I will be doing my own interior….for a couple of reasons:
I am burning through cash like a drug dealer and I still am not sure exactly what I want.
Light…Check
Minimal….Check
Sleep above or below……I have no idea. I have not slept in the penthouse bed yet so I am not sure how easily my 1 legged self will gimp up and down. I am not sure how comfy it will be for my terrible back & hip. So you all will just have to come back and see what happens.

I am bummed I lost the cool LED lights that Ford puts in. Those have to be the best cargo area light I have ever seen. Really bright, neat aluminum heat sink and flush mount. I did save them and will find a use. Sportsmobile does put in their own lights, stylish brushed aluminum but there are only 2 up front. I think strip or side lights might work better…….sorry I had to pause to write a note as an idea flashed into my head and it will drift out like my cigar smoke if I don’t capture it.

My first driving impression was on the highway since Sportsmobile doesn’t have a dirt playground, but wouldn’t that be cool? I could absolutely tell the center of gravity has changed. I was really hoping to find a Truck Scale before I got to Aluminess but it was a 5hr drive south last night and early up to Heatshield Products this morning. However if I deduct the bumper when I find a scale today I will know what the top/window difference is.

The vehicle doesn’t feel tippy, it actually feels more solid and planted. Strange since all the weight went as high as possible. Even the solar panel moved from against to the van wall to the roof. Oh and MISTAKE ALERT….Bo the very nice wiring man was super kind along with Bernie in telling me that my 3M VHB & plastic solar mounts would “not be the best idea”.

Since I had already ordered the Thule rails it was a breeze for Bo to make brackets to low mount the panel to the rails. Love it and rock solid….I might have “passed” someone at 90mph on Grapevine pass as part of my data collection on wind noise and panel securement.

And for everyone curious about the roof “fence” (yeah I got tired of explaining it wasn’t really a roof rack, just an place to hang the 23Zero awning and Lightforce lights while protecting my poptop. Well it was a tight, tight fit but I think I can get through SEMA and then Dave the Fabricator can do a couple of tweaks to make it perfect. The “concept” is sound, it was just amazing he did as well as he did with 2 visits by a Uhaul Transit and 6hrs with mine.

And here is another MISTAKE ALERT, I knew we needed some sort of rubber gasket between the roof fence feet and the Transit body. I was just thinking it was for paint protection and vibration. Nope! It was because water can flood through those factory mounting points!
So anyone thinking of making your own roof anything, make sure you silicone, or gasket or something to seal up around those bolts, rain INSIDE your van is a bad thing.

Before I forget, let’s talk MPG (yeah my brain bounces around)….these are hand calc based on odometer & pump (stock tires, 3.31 ratio, 3.5 Eco, luggage and 2 extra single factory Transit seats…Certified scale weight 5780lbs
Here is a summary of most of my fillups, at over 500 miles a day I am getting frazzled:
KC to Witchita :15.7
13.8 (fast driving and variable RPM for engine breakin
14.9 (lower speed and less throttle modulation
15.1 (now 6815lbs with more crap hitting the highway to Sportmobile in Fresno)
13.2 (up and down a lot of hills)
12.8 (pushing way hard from Fresno south to LA, new Sportsmobile roof, still need new weight)
14 (pushing much less hard)
So I am at 2500 miles and my avg from Kansas City around the Southwest has been 14ish, hard driving, 5 over the speed limit maybe, maybe more….and not quite 7000lbs.
I will continue to update the data and info along the way….and pics as soon as I get to good wifi!

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
It has been a mad dash across the country but the pleasure of working with great companies has made it worthwhile. The frustrations caused by others is part of the process but still sucks.

This is a quick update with limited wifi so I will hit the highpoints…

The Sportsmobile top is amazing, never doubt the strength of that frame and the guys there actually are happy and enjoy their work. The top is only partway up here, don’t freak out. Also the custom roof “fence/light holder/awning support” caused them some issues but it works for now even with a lube required tight fit. A little bit of tweaking by Dave the Fabricator back in Phoenix and the thing will be perfect.

The last post I wrote was from the Aluminess lounge, little did I know how upset I would be soon. I will provide a more in-depth post once everything is resolved but the lesson to learn is companies change as they grow, they can’t always hire the best people and new designs create new problems. But more on that later.
From Aluminess it was a side trip to drop off David the video dude I had hired in Kansas City. He is the reason the quality went way up on the videos. But I am a hard person to work for and this is a crazy mad dash trip across the southwest. We parted ways and I blasted north to the Bay Area so Owl Van could work their magic.
Like most of the bits on Red Chaser, this is a prototype swingout setup. The hinges are different both in placement and style from the other Transit they have modeled on, but in less than 2 days they had whipped up a tire carrier and a Sherpa mount that I now get to beat the crap out of in the desert.

In another example of killer customer service, Toby of Scheel-Mann let me invade his shop and helped me install a pair of seats that I am really looking forward to trying. By this point, I have put on almost 4000 miles in 9 days. When I lost my leg my pelvis was broken and healed crooked, I have scoliosis (curved spine), lower back pain and more. I have never been comfortable in any seats but I just figured that was the price of life. My hope is the 10-way adjustment in the Vario model, the firm but supportive padding and German engineering will make a big difference in my life. With another 1000 to 1500 miles before I get home the truth should be clear soon.
There will be a full write up on all this soon, but a quick note. I fully accept I no longer have airbags in my seat. I accept that all of these modifications change the vehicle and it’s safety in some way. I am an adult and I choose to do all of this.
The Scopema swivels will get their own notes but needless to say they were not the simple drop on mod I thought. But they are rock solid and work well.

Sunday was a workday with a buddy who has a houseboat north of Portland. More Heatshield paint on Db Skin (it washed off me with warm water and soap) and more L track installation. Also, I mocked up the tires, Oh Boy!

And then it was bright and early to Quadvan Monday morning to start the magic….and to see if they choke on these big ol’ Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the pretty Method 701’s. The front-wheel well has a pinch weld on the back end of it that has to go and on the rear wheel well the pinch welds at the front and back bottom ends will have to go.

These guys are really impressive at the concern for quality, for double and triple-checking work and the willingness to understand the customer’s needs.
Watch for more soon…..

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
what happened to this build?
yep the fastest way to know what is going on is to look up PegLegGarage on Instagram and Facebook.
I love the forums for in depth discussion and I will be posting the how-to stuff later.
But since I still have 10 days till SEMA roll in and have to leave Portland and hit Tacoma, Salt Lake City, Los Angles, Phoenix and Las Vegas still....well IG is easy for fast updates.
Thanks for asking and please post any questions.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Great story and write up. Lance, you have an amazing story here. Keep posting wherever and when ever you can on this amazing journey. I'll just keep watching here to see how the story unfolds (I dont have any scocial media outlets, im barely able to have a few forums to frequent).

Keep up the excellent work. You have a long road ahead with lots of miles. And wow 9 more days until SEMA. Man how I miss the excitement of the late night builds on my own journies there.