Launch Member

Contributor III

Dakota Dunes, SD, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Mrla
Member #

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this one, but it sounds like a great idea. I hope you do it again so I can attend in the future.

Reactions: Mr. Nelson

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Inwood, Iowa, United States
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
As of right now I am here. I was a half hour behind schedule due to errands, but I have arrived! Anyone else here?

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
20191016_103113.jpg

I managed to do a physical recon of a couple other places, Falls Overlook Cafe being my favorite. Pros and Cons of multiple places:

Coffee Roasterie (west side)
Pros
Larger interior
Large parking lot (next door at Johnny Carinos)
Location in relation to other businesses (out of towners)
Location in relation to Interstate
Cons
Must coordinate with Johnny Carinos to use their parking lot

Flying J's
Pros
Location to both interstates 90 and 29
Large parking lot
Denny's restaurant on location
Cons
No specialty coffees (if that's your thing)
Lots of traffic (OTR drivers and weekend drivers)

Falls Overlook Cafe
Pros
Decent parking lot
Large interior space
Gorgeous view
Just outside of downtown
Cons
Merrells smell (if strong on that day)
Middle of town (difficult to reach if not a local)
Hours (fall hours are 11-5)

Coffee Roasterie/ Dunn Bros Coffee (east side)
Pros
Parking lot sizes not horrible for small groups
Location for Iowans and Minnesotans not bad
Location to other businesses (out of towners)
Cons
Busy traffic on weekends
Parking lots not massive

I as aiming towards local franchises rather than the typical Starbucks or Carribou. Those are still valid options if we would like to consider them. I would recommend the Carribou at the mall as one. We could also shoot for a Scooters Coffee also, but parking space again will be limited. Let's get a conversation going to try and be able to accommodate everyone. Also timing will be paramount to get a good attendance. I've typically shot for an entire morning when I lived on the East coast that way people can come and go as they please. If more towards the afternoon works better chime in! Also which day of the weekend Saturday's or Sunday's.

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
That's what we are aiming for is the weekends. I just wanted to do a recon today to check a few spots out for potential locations. How does everyone feel about Sunday mornings? Or are previous engagements interfering with meeting up then? Out of those locations what are you guys and gals feeling would work best?

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Weekends would definitely be the only way for me. I am about an hour and a half south of Sioux Falls, but would gladly make a trip up that way to connect with people.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

Weekends would definitely be the only way for me. I am about an hour and a half south of Sioux Falls, but would gladly make a trip up that way to connect with people.

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
Well this weekend we are looking at temps around 60°F. Sunday we could meet up in the morning as Sunday night has a chance for thunderstorms. Everyone that can make it chime in, I'm thinking Coffea on 26th Street would work for our first meetup, just need to talk to Johnny Carinos. Once I know we have an interested party I'll reach out to them to ensure we are good to use the back of their parking lot!

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
Tomorrow from 0800 to 1200 I will be at Coffea on West 26th St just off of I-29 for Rigs and Coffee. I hope to see some of you there, weather looks to be nice for a little get together! Bring your rig (or not), have some good coffee, and enjoy some great conversation!

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
Sorry, change of location. Coffee will not be open until noon. We will meet at Carribou and Enstein Bagels at 4200 S Louise Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57106. Not too far off the interstate and within the same area. This will be a starting point for us, we can discuss different locations for future dates.