Right of Way

• HTML tutorial

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

In my experience the vehicle going up the trail has the right of way. They generally have to work at it more than the vehicle going down. However, if a vehicle has already started coming down before you make your way up, I would give them the right of way and then after they pass continue on.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I second that; Uphill traffic has the right of way. However, in my experience, it usually ends up being whoever is closest to a safe pull off spot.

Once I had some folks get very mad at me for not backing up 200-300 yards on the side of a mountain to give them right of way... when they were 10 feet from a pull off as we met on the trail. Oh, and they were on dirt bikes.

Clear communication is key, if you're going to go outside the norm make sure the oncoming traffic is aware.

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

That really depends I have been going up and had the only spot to get out of the way on one lane path for the one coming down I think its just common courtesy kind of thing at the time...

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Uphill traffic has RoW, but I'll usually yield mine anyway and haul the maktruk to the right as much as possible.

Reactions: Michael

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Trail etiquette is often not a priority to some... I tend to just pull off if i can, you never know what the other person is going to do.
This^^^^ If I can pull off, I do. I try to always give right away. Sometimes I have no place to go. It's easier to back down a hill, instead of back up a hill to find a place to pull off.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Going up hill has the right of way. I wouldn't mind giving ROW to the down hill driver, as long as it was safe.

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

It is not necessarily a matter of me being polite, unless it is somebody I know or somebody with skill, because I can't trust people and the way they drive.
I once made room for a group of dirt bikes that were trailing behind me, I didn't want to slow them down, then later caught up to them a few miles down the trail where they were parked and I was going to park to try and start conversation. I may or may not have stirred up enough dust to piss them off, on accident, and then they all started talking a bunch of trash. So that was the last time I make room for dirt bikes.

Reactions: dr56099 and EOD Tam

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

This depends on the size of your group as well. Large groups should give the right of way to smaller groups since large convoys take longer time to negotiate trails.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Yeah that would make sense to be the Up Hill traffic as it would take a bit more effort going up than it would going down,

It would be the most logical - never really thought of the actual "right of way" :blush: just common sense! :innocent:

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

Uphill traffic has right of way. But the vehicle that can most easily move aside, should. No sense squeezing by one another when the uphill vehicle could have used a turnout and completely cleared the road. Common sense.

And yeah, if I can make way, I usually do. Increasingly, with the popularity of off road vehicles, too many people have no idea how things should work.

Reactions: LandPirate

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Several replies stating uphill traffic has the right of way. What has me confused is the trail guidelines for Black Bear Pass in CO states downhill has right of way. Is it possible that it's all dependent on the trail? That would require you to get familiar with trail rules prior to the trip. I think a common sense approach should take priority. If you can safely move, move. If not, stay put.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Several replies stating uphill traffic has the right of way. What has me confused is the trail guidelines for Black Bear Pass in CO states downhill has right of way. Is it possible that it's all dependent on the trail? That would require you to get familiar with trail rules prior to the trip. I think a common sense approach should take priority. If you can safely move, move. If not, stay put.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Don't know about Colorado, but in California this is the rule:

When 2 vehicles meet on a steep road where neither vehicle can pass, the vehicle facing downhill must yield the right-of-way by backing up until the vehicle going uphill can pass. The vehicle facing downhill has the greater amount of control when backing up the hill.
California Driver Handbook - Laws and Rules of the Road
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/right_of_way

Dan & Jen Nevada

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

On the Road...
Member #

Maybe that road has specific conditions that make yielded to down hill traffic easier. That road is one way through the challenging parts and I believe that section is down hill in the direction of travel. maybe that's why. If you're headed up, you're going the wrong way.

Reactions: Veggie Man