Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

You wouldn't have any pictures of your curtains, would ya?

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app
I don't. What I actually did was buy on amazon 25 rare earth magnets and just use them to hold some black, grey and white Camouflage fabric. I'll eventually get the magnets sewn in but for now it's a pile of magnets and a wad of fabric.

I'll say this though. Those things have like 25 lbs of holding strength so all you'd need is one in each corner and you're good.

Rustyburbin from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 1970 K20 Suburban

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

Nice, that was I was thinking as well. I was going to get some black out curtains, cut them to fit and sew some magnet pockets in it.......just as soon as I teach myself how to use the sewing machine I rescued from beside the dumpster at my apartment lol!!

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

Before going to that effort, do an Amazon search on "window mesh screens". Made my life so much easier. I'd paste a link but can't do it from my tab right now.

Sent from my SM-T350 using OB Talk mobile app
I have already made mesh screens. I'm going for curtains that are made to fit my windows next

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I have already made mesh screens. I'm going for curtains that are made to fit my windows next

What is your objective for curtains? If you're going for privacy, look at a product called Reflectix.
It's like bubble wrap coated in aluminum foil, but way more durable, and super lightweight.

The beauty of it is, you can cut it to precise size of the inside of the window, and when you want privacy or darkness, wedge it into your window(s) and there you go.
Then, when you're done, pull it out and store it flat.

I also use it when I park / store my car for longer than a couple days. Keeps UV down on the inside parts.

Here's a link for the cheap window mesh that I have --> Link
They're awesome.

Dan.

ClarkT

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Clark
Last Name
Glenn
Member #

Being able to sleep in my rig was a primary criteria for my selection; the Jeep Commander. I live in South Florida now and spend what averages to a couple of nights a month out in the Everglades every year. Mainly in winter months because summer is an oven at night. I can pull over anywhere on the roads out there in the middle of nowhere and sleep in the back. Water, skeeters, pythons, alligators become a non-issue. It also allows me to stealth camp in other situations where the need arises. I use 1" thermarest pads because they maximize my headroom and disappear when packed. A sheet at picnic blanket usually suffice for me in this scenario. I'm experimenting now with an IcyBreeze cooler to extend my truck-bed-sleeping into the summer months.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

ClarkT

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Clark
Last Name
Glenn
Member #

Nice, that was I was thinking as well. I was going to get some black out curtains, cut them to fit and sew some magnet pockets in it.......just as soon as I teach myself how to use the sewing machine I rescued from beside the dumpster at my apartment lol!!

Cool! Simple sewing is a great skill that goes a long way. I have a Phaff 140 that I have pressed into service for years.

Reactions: Jasonb

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

Cool! Simple sewing is a great skill that goes a long way. I have a Phaff 140 that I have pressed into service for years.

I found one like this by the dumpster so I rescued it.turns out it had all the parts and the ownersmanual. It's a belvadere from I beleve the 70's. I think it would be cool to lern how to use it!

Reactions: ClarkT

ClarkT

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Asheville, NC, USA
First Name
Clark
Last Name
Glenn
Member #

I found one like this by the dumpster so I rescued it.turns out it had all the parts and the ownersmanual. It's a belvadere from I beleve the 70's. I think it would be cool to lern how to use it!

I'm sure YouTube will have videos but nothing compares to getting some in-person tutelage. Any local sewing machine shop will have a class or someone that will give you a few lessons for what is normally a very reasonable price. Have fun and make sure to post pics of your first projects!

Reactions: Jasonb

Jasonb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Bath
Member #

I'm sure YouTube will have videos but nothing compares to getting some in-person tutelage. Any local sewing machine shop will have a class or someone that will give you a few lessons for what is normally a very reasonable price. Have fun and make sure to post pics of your first projects!
True, I'm going to try youtube first but will not rule out a class or two

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Ive been trying to figure out my best solution when I can get my family out with me. My daughter isnt quite old enough to in a separate tent so need to figure where to fit her along with us (and not having a huge car camping tent).

Reactions: ClarkT and TnK1

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We overland in a high top van that I customized.I took out the origional folding bed, the most unconfortable thing you could imagine, built the bed much higher to utilize space for more storage underneath . Finished it off with 9" of memory foam. It is more confortable than our bed at home!

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
I mostly ground tent Golite Shangri-La 3 (highly recommended in lightweight category). If the ground is too rocky and no trees to hammock from, I use my Therma-Rest pad in the bed (6.5 foot) and my poly-fill (cheap) bag that I always have in the truck so my down one does not get wet from dew.

I saw the milky way from bed...

Reactions: WrightRunner