Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
What is everyone regime before hitting and after the trail to make sure they have a safe adventure...

It goes without saying that we should all perform maintenance on our rigs regularly and not hit the trails in a vehicle that is unsafe. How often should one torque check their rig? Brake checks? Fluid levels? Self-maintance vs mechanics?

Anyone OCD like me out there that has a pre-flight check list before hitting the road?
...or wing it, throw caution to the wind and hope for the best!

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I'm OCD about Maintenance, I drive a 6.0 Powerstroke diesel, they are high maintenance motors, got an app on my phone, it's got everything maintenance wise and every fuel up in it. I'm always looking for the next thing to fix/upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
What app is that? I use Road Trip for all my vehicles...mainly to track gas milage and maintenance.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

With my rig also being my daily drive, I know the general condition of the vehicle all the time.

However, before taking it on long trips or expeditions, we usually take it into the workshop for an afternoon, take a look underneath and around, top-up fluids, tighten-up bolts, spray WD40, lubricate, etc.

Rig Safety is something I believe most / all OB Members are well aware of, and have good control over - that's the type of folk we typically are.
That is not to say, that accidents can't happen to the best of us.
I have experienced parts / bolts / equipment, snapping / failing, which looked perfectly fine on previous inspection.

The best we can do is minimise the risk, by ensuring that all basic / sensible safety checks are conducted before taking a trp.

Whether you feel confident enough to conduct these checks, or whether you need a qualified mechanic to do this for you, is your call.

I always get a buddy to help, so that we an both check - better to have more than one set of eyes checking - they always see things different from yourself....

Safe Driving !!!!

Reactions: NightCrawler

DanR

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Silverdale, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Reed
Member #

As a mechanic, I already know the condition of everything on my rig, including what has been and what needs to be serviced. This way I can avoid surprises with shop visits!

Reactions: NightCrawler