Restocking groceries when out with your dog

• HTML tutorial

Anywaythere

Rank 0

Contributor I

When out on a solo trip with a dog, what do you guys do when you need to restock? Sometimes it’s too hot to leave the dog in the car, but the grocery store won’t allow dogs inside.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

If you glare at people now and then - it helps too.

Or go to small stores:
leave the windows down
bowl of water on back seat
Have a list
get in and out quickly
if you need more make more then one trip
If there is shade park there

Pretty much common sense stuff.

Our shepherd is good in the back seat for 10 to 15 minutes on days above 100. I also make sure the air has been on cooling the cab down before stopping.
Most issues happen with pets and the windows rolled up all the way.

TravelingDog

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chicago, Illinois
Member #

I try to stop at the store early in the day when it’s cooler. So far no trouble with upset passerby’s. My dog just sleeps unless another dog is near. A/c cooling the car beforehand is good too.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Order this harness and stores have to let your dog in..

View attachment 96601
Please don’t do this unless your dog is a TRUE therapy dog. It gives service animals a bad name, is illegal, and can result in your dog being confiscated. If you have a newer vehicle with remote start you can crack the windows and start your car. It should turn on the AC for up to 10 minutes. If you have a Chevy then you could use the My Chevrolet app to restart your car remotely for another 10 mins. Not sure if other manufacturers have something similar. I do this for quick trips and also leave a note on the dash about the AC being on.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Please don’t do this unless your dog is a TRUE therapy dog. It gives service animals a bad name,
They are two entirely different things. A "service animal" is actually trained to do tasks and generally are assigned to people with disabilities, hence why service animals are protected by the Americans with Disability Act and are specifically dogs. "Therapy animals" are not limited to dogs, are not trained, and not protected under the ADA and can be a "TRUE" therapy animal by simply filling out an ESA (emotional support animal) form online and for a few bucks you get a letter. Technically, anyone who has an animal as a full time companion has a "therapy animal" because that animal gives companionship and comfort. I would much rather take my dog into a store as a therapy animal than to leave it out in a vehicle that is running and left unattended. You wouldn't leave a 3 yr old out in a car unattended with the engine and ac running because something could happen...same as a with a dog. He can jump and knock the car in gear or stand up on the door arm rest and hit the button to lower the window and jump out...that just seems to be asking for trouble.

Reactions: mep1811

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

They are two entirely different things. A "service animal" is actually trained to do tasks and generally are assigned to people with disabilities, hence why service animals are protected by the Americans with Disability Act and are specifically dogs. "Therapy animals" are not limited to dogs, are not trained, and not protected under the ADA and can be a "TRUE" therapy animal by simply filling out an ESA (emotional support animal) form online and for a few bucks you get a letter. Technically, anyone who has an animal as a full time companion has a "therapy animal" because that animal gives companionship and comfort. I would much rather take my dog into a store as a therapy animal than to leave it out in a vehicle that is running and left unattended. You wouldn't leave a 3 yr old out in a car unattended with the engine and ac running because something could happen...same as a with a dog. He can jump and knock the car in gear or stand up on the door arm rest and hit the button to lower the window and jump out...that just seems to be asking for trouble.
I have a family member with a comfort dog she takes everywhere. We did extensive research on ESA requirements before she relocated, via airplane, with her companion. ESAs still need documentation from a medical professional, otherwise there are legal ramifications. Due to poorly behaved animals many places are starting to set limits on ESAs, which is too bad as many people need them. This has become a case of the few ruining it for the many. Labeling ones pet an ESA doesn’t make it one.

Also if you read my entire post I recommended using auto start which does not require the key to be in the ignition. In fact a vehicle with this feature cannot be put into gear, the windows will not roll down, you can’t even operate the radio. Making this a good option for someone who needs to run into the store for less than 10 minutes. I love my dogs and take them as many places as possible but sometimes they just can’t go.

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Dog lover here, we had a beautiful flatcoated retriever for 16 years. They just don’t belong in grocery stores ever IMO. Sadly the whole therapy dog thing is ripe for abuse. Maybe make arrangements for your dog prior to food shopping just like you would a Doctors visit.

Reactions: jimbofoxman

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Therapy dogs are not the same as Service Dogs. They are not guaranteed entry anywhere. We have one... He has been through the training and as a handler we have to know the rules. So don't abuse them please.

Lots of grocery stores offer "delivery" to your car. So you might pull into a parking lot and look for the signs. Then hop on their website and figure out how to order. You could also look for a local groomer or dog daycare facility and see if they will take the dog for a couple of hours. Grooming usually takes that long even for a simple bath. That gets you a clean dog and a chance to shop. Yeah I know these types of things are not available everywhere but where they are it can be of use.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
My truck stays running without the key in the ignition. I leave it running, ac on, sign on dash, doors locked and a club that locks the brake pedal to the steering wheel.
Now that's smart. All criteria are addressed in a safe and uncomplicated manner.

Reactions: distelbaja

distelbaja

Rank 0

Contributor I

Therapy dogs are not the same as Service Dogs. They are not guaranteed entry anywhere. We have one... He has been through the training and as a handler we have to know the rules. So don't abuse them please.

Lots of grocery stores offer "delivery" to your car. So you might pull into a parking lot and look for the signs. Then hop on their website and figure out how to order. You could also look for a local groomer or dog daycare facility and see if they will take the dog for a couple of hours. Grooming usually takes that long even for a simple bath. That gets you a clean dog and a chance to shop. Yeah I know these types of things are not available everywhere but where they are it can be of use.
Great suggestion! I totally forgot about the walmart pick up option.

Reactions: 1Louder

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

That's brilliant actually. Most dog groomers will take walk ins for a nail trim, but some require proof of vaccinations. Also, I'm sure if you let the groomer know what you were up to and offered a decent tip, they would be fine keeping your doggo for an extra 15 minutes.

With that said, I've got remote start on my truck and I simply leave it running with the a/c or heat on while I run in.

Reactions: distelbaja