Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Assistance Requested. Broken Driveshaft
Disabled vehicle in remote wilderness.
GPS: 41.708071, -118.719035
Three word address: perfection.planned.shields
Overland Bound One App Location: https://www.overlandbound.com/map-coords?coords=41.70807, -118.71900

@Jewel_f55c73 Need help for my husband, Justin Tyler

Red 2004 Toyota Tacoma

Broken Drive Shaft— vehicle disabled

Safe,warm, has supplies just needs pulled out to the closest road where we can have him towed. He does not have cell service but does have a garmin inreach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Is something like this an option?

Northern Nevada Off-road Rescue

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Is something like this an option?

Northern Nevada Off-road Rescue
Yes. They suggested cross-posting to Overland Bound so we are acting in parallel.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Jewel says she has a trailer in rout from Las Vegas. Unfortunately there won’t be enough time for the truck and trailer to make it to Justin’s location until after dark. So they are hoping to get Justin down to the road where he can meet up with the truck and trailer.

The plan is to remove the rear driveshaft and proceed out of the mountains under the Tacoma’s own power. However if this doesn’t work, we need a plan B.

Reactions: Michael

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Thank you. Is this inconsistent with the coordinates posted? Want to make sure info is accurate.

No that is where both sets took me. Just someone wanting to come from , say Portland thinking it might be a short trip, while someone from say Winnemucca might think, oh it's in Oregon....

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Perhaps a silly question, however if it's no more than a broken driveshaft can the crew disconnect and take off the front or rear prop shaft (whichever drives the broken drive shaft) and then either remove or tie up the broken driveshaft, thus converting the vehicle to 2x4 and allowing it to be driven out?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Perhaps a silly question, however if it's no more than a broken driveshaft can the crew disconnect and take off the front or rear prop shaft (whichever drives the broken drive shaft) and then either remove or tie up the broken driveshaft, thus converting the vehicle to 2x4 and allowing it to be driven out?
Not a silly question, that can hopefully be done. He did not have the needed tools. Someone is heading out there now with tools to attempt this and hopefully he can limp it to the main road

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Yes - I think that is the plan - it should work well.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Yes - I think that is the plan - it should work well.
OK. I'm not familiar with the hub design on the vehicle, however it may be necessary to release the hub (to freewheel) and then they'll need to protect the hub to keep the grease in prevent the bearing from seizing - here's how this was done on our LC80.

PHOTO-2018-01-07-10-13-58.jpg

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
OK. I'm not familiar with the hub design on the vehicle, however it may be necessary to release the hub (to freewheel) and then they'll need to protect the hub to keep the grease in prevent the bearing from seizing - here's how this was done on our LC80.

View attachment 243227
You sir, get some kind of badge. Innovator.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

View attachment 243227
it’s the rear drive shaft… and the plan is to remove the rear drive shaft and limp to the main road where a trailer will be ready to load the truck onto the trailer… if removing the drive shaft from
The equation doesn’t work, tue Taco will need to either be repaired on site or safely towed to the main road where it can be transported back to Las Vegas.

I will know more in about half an hour on what the game plan is… tools should be arriving any minute

Help is arriving from the town of Dino. There aren’t any parts stores close to pick up parts. It looks like the closest parts are going to be in Winamucca , NV or Burns, OR.

Reactions: daklakfoto

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Update:
Tools
Have arrived on location, driveshaft removal is currently in progress.

I have called and confirmed in both Burns and Winamucca NAPA has the u-joints, but no drive shafts. A drive shaft can be to either location tomorrow if ordered by 3:00 pm pacific today. And those are the two closest parts stores to Justin’s location.
I’ll post an update on how the driveshaft removal goes.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Update: driveshaft removed, truck is moving under its own power.

once I get confirmation Justin has made it to pavement or something else comes up I will update the post.

Reactions: Alanymarce