Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

Hello Everyone! I am a new Jeep owner and need to understand what type of trail my jeep can operate on before I do any modifications to it. First, I'm not going rock crawling on extreme trails but I would like to go on moderate trails in Colorado. I am interested in Black Bear Pass and Schofield Pass. I will be traveling pretty light and will carrying on average 200lbs of gear in the back. If you are familiar with these passes do believe my jeep's stock suspension can go on that type of terrain?

Specs:
2020 Wrangler Sahara Altitude
EcoDiesel
33" AT4 tires
Modifications: None-
Jeep.jpg

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello Everyone! I am a new Jeep owner and need to understand what type of trail my jeep can operate on before I do any modifications to it. First, I'm not going rock crawling on extreme trails but I would like to go on moderate trails in Colorado. I am interested in Black Bear Pass and Schofield Pass. I will be traveling pretty light and will carrying on average 200lbs of gear in the back. If you are familiar with these passes do believe my jeep's stock suspension can go on that type of terrain?

Specs:
EcoDiesel
33" AT4 tires
View attachment 175360
Welcome To Overland Bound
You should post this question on the Overland Vehicle Build Threads
There are lots of members interested in this vehicle and how it performs.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Your Regional Director is @AdventureWithDanan . The closest Member Representative to you for local information is @Cendee & @radwelder
You can also post your pass questions on the Rocky Mountain Regional page. @Neal A. Tew is the Regional Director and the local Member Representatives are, @the_runn4r & @Fortis Overland. All three of these members are very knowledgeable with the areas you are interested in.
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: RETSTO and Ubiety

Craig Schueren

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Paso, TX
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Schueren
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Lockers, any recovery gear? What you are describing is someone who has never been off-road. I suggest finding someone in your area to go out with and have them “help” you learn what you are doing.

There is quite a bit your Jeep can do, but giving it the skinny pedal isn’t always the answer.

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

Not having a matching spare could be problematic off-road. However, going with someone and having recovery gear and a matching spare your Jeep could navigate probably a 4 with a new driver without damage. Anything above that you want sliders. That’s my .02.

Witn an experienced driver as well as recovery gear and skids then the Jeep can tackle more without getting stuck. The best mod is the one behind the wheel.

Reactions: Ubiety

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I would add the following:

Matching spare tire.
The ability to efficiently air your tires down and back up. Accurate tire pressure gauge.
Quality recovery gear - kinetic strap, tree protector, D-ring/bow shackles, snatch block, and, optionally, a Hi-Lift jack can be used as a sort-of hand winch but, they're heavy and take up space.
A buddy with whom to go wheeling who is more knowledgable than you. Learn from them.
The desire to get out and explore.

Otherwise, your Jeep is perfectly capable as-is. Lots of folk on here seem to have a hard-on for lockers. Yeah, they're great, but, theyre unnecessary for the type of driving you mention you plan to do in your opening post.

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
I am driving a 2019 Sahara JLU and without any mods, you will find you Jeep quite capable. Caution will be your best tool.

As far as things you actually need:
- A matching spare is essential
- Some basic recovery gear (snatch strap or tow strap, some D-ring or soft shackles, gloves, and tools to change a tire)
- Air up/down tools (air compressors are inexpensive)

There are lots of gear that you may later add, based on what you decide to do longer term, but start small and add as the need arises. Just a bit of advise from a fellow jeeper!

Reactions: RETSTO

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Specs:
EcoDiesel
33" AT4 tires
View attachment 175360
Black bear is a bit difficult in my opinion not because for the trail itself but more for the scare factor in some sections, especially for a beginner. Also, the trails is now closed for the season.
Schofield Pass is more doable, there is only one section that is narrow, watch for upcoming traffic and your tires placement.
In the same area you should do Crystal city (stop at the mill!) and Paradise Divide.

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

I am driving a 2019 Sahara JLU and without any mods, you will find you Jeep quite capable. Caution will be your best tool.

As far as things you actually need:
- A matching spare is essential
- Some basic recovery gear (snatch strap or tow strap, some D-ring or soft shackles, gloves, and tools to change a tire)
- Air up/down tools (air compressors are inexpensive)

There are lots of gear that you may later add, based on what you decide to do longer term, but start small and add as the need arises. Just a bit of advise from a fellow jeeper!
Thanks for the advice!

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

Lockers, any recovery gear? What you are describing is someone who has never been off-road. I suggest finding someone in your area to go out with and have them “help” you learn what you are doing.

There is quite a bit your Jeep can do, but giving it the skinny pedal isn’t always the answer.
Off-road in Afghanistan....but not in a jeep. :)

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

Black bear is a bit difficult in my opinion not because for the trail itself but more for the scare factor in some sections, especially for a beginner. Also, the trails is now closed for the season.
Schofield Pass is more doable, there is only one section that is narrow, watch for upcoming traffic and your tires placement.
In the same area you should do Crystal city (stop at the mill!) and Paradise Divide.
Thanks! I wouldn't attempt Black Bear pass until I had more wheel time under my belt and within a group. Just interested if the Jeep could go over it in stock condition. I heard Telluride/Ouray area is going to get 20 inches of snow this weekend. I saw Schofield Pass in YouTube video so it'll be fun going over it in a group. I'll look for the other places you mentioned. Thanks again.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

Kent, Thanks for all the great information! I'm new to the forum so I didn't know exactly where to post my question. So far there have been lots of helpful people giving me great advice. Happy I joined.
Cheers,
Dave

Reactions: trail_runn4r

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Thanks! I wouldn't attempt Black Bear pass until I had more wheel time under my belt and within a group. Just interested if the Jeep could go over it in stock condition. I heard Telluride/Ouray area is going to get 20 inches of snow this weekend. I saw Schofield Pass in YouTube video so it'll be fun going over it in a group. I'll look for the other places you mentioned. Thanks again.
yes, given experience a stock Wrangler without lockers would have no issues. But yer dream of 2000# of gear is unrealistic. Look at the Jeep Spec sheet and decide if a Wrangler will work.
and consider joining a tour group with reputable guides with references.

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

yes, given experience a stock Wrangler without lockers would have no issues. But yer dream of 2000# of gear is unrealistic. Look at the Jeep Spec sheet and decide if a Wrangler will work.
and consider joining a tour group with reputable guides with references.
200 lbs of gear :) LOL!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

200 lbs of gear :) LOL!
I stand corrected !! thx....

Weights
SpecificationDimension
Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) (lbs.)
Payload (lbs.)
Towing capacity (lbs.)
Gross combined weight rating (GCWR) (lbs.)