Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

Hello Everyone! I am a new Jeep owner and need to understand what type of trail my jeep can operate on in stock condition before I do any modifications to it. I am not interested in rock crawling on extreme trails but I would like to go on moderate trails in Colorado. Thanks!

Specs:
2020 Wrangler Sahara Altitude
EcoDiesel
33" AT4 tires
Modifications: None-Jeep.jpgJeep.jpg

Reactions: Sparksalot

Traveler I

Athens, GA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Boyd
From my understanding the diesel is still a relatively new option. I dont have personal experience with it but from what I have read it should be just as capable as the v6 petrol version. I am interested in any personal experiences running it as well though.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Add lockers, and you're good to go, for everywhere similar to what you just described. Tires might be a bit mild, but we've done fine with less.

Some truck claws and a Hilift to winch with, might be wise. Practice run in Ocala National Forest. (skill level 1 easy)

Last edited:

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

So far just running it on the paved roads is very nice. Lots of power. The only thing I wish I could do is permanently turn off the eco mode switch. I think it lowers the rpm so when you stopped and press the accelerator the turbo has to spool up. The way around that is to turn off the eco-mode.

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

Add lockers, and you're good to go, for everywhere similar to what you just described. Tires might be a bit mild, but we've done fine with less.

Some truck claws and a Hilift to winch with, might be wise. Practice run in Ocala National Forest. (skill level 1 easy)
Thanks! Lockers were on the list we thought we might have to investigate so we’ll move them up to the “must have” list. Front bumper and winch was already on there. Plus....GMRS radio, hijack, medical kit,...........the list could be endless :)

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Just make sure it's a rope winch, not metal cable. Then you can get rid of the heavy hilift. Try to find a Ford Superduty OEM bottle jack at a dump for $20. Don't forget the wrench and extension. Add a couple pieces of wood and you're styling.

Many disagree here, but I find lockers to be 1000% must haves. Even for mild wheeling. Really makes things easier on the truck, and the trails. Selection depends on the model of axles under the Sahara. On my F250, Dana 60 / Sterling 10.5: Yukon Grizzly autolocker front, selectable rear is the hot ticket.

I haven't bothered with radios since our overlandy clique are still being spaz's about such things. CB appears to be dying finally. The battle is GMRS vs Ham. So far, Amazon Baofeng Hams are winning.

Reactions: RETSTO

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Sounds like you're off to a good start with the equipment you've added. Get a spare to match the tires on your Jeep and go try it out. A little common sense and patience you should be just fine on the moderate trails you want to run.

Before you hit the trails practice winching on a nice stress free day when you don't need to instead of a rainy day in the dark when you're in trouble. Same goes for learning to use your new Hi-Lift jack, practice when you have time to go slow and it doesn't matter how long it takes. That Hi-Lift will try to kill or maim you if you're not paying attention or don't know how to use it. If you have any new equipment practice using it at home in the driveway BEFORE you go out and need it.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Your rig is far more capable than others here make it sound. I've done most passes in Ouray/Silverton/Telluride. I have not done Black Bear (need a spotter and I always travel alone), Bear Creek or Poughkipsie due to difficulty level . Eventually i will one I travel or meet someone with more experience than me while up there. I have a 2017 Sahara and did many trails in stock form with 265/70/17 KO2 A/T tires. No real issue other than banging the bottom a few times on larger rocks.

Your rig in stock form sits higher than my rig, stock to stock. Lockers are only really necessary IMO, when it is wet or you are tackling some of the more challenging trails like the ones above. As for the motor, the specs look legit to me for a carefree adventure.

Reactions: RETSTO

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

Your rig is far more capable than others here make it sound. I've done most passes in Ouray/Silverton/Telluride. I have not done Black Bear (need a spotter and I always travel alone), Bear Creek or Poughkipsie due to difficulty level . Eventually i will one I travel or meet someone with more experience than me while up there. I have a 2017 Sahara and did many trails in stock form with 265/70/17 KO2 A/T tires. No real issue other than banging the bottom a few times on larger rocks.

Your rig in stock form sits higher than my rig, stock to stock. Lockers are only really necessary IMO, when it is wet or you are tackling some of the more challenging trails like the ones above. As for the motor, the specs look legit to me for a carefree adventure.
Thanks for your advice. The salesman said it was quite capable in stock but that was before I saw all the videos in youtube. LOL. I really just want to stick to moderate trails when I have to. Cheers!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Even without the lockers of the Rubicon, your rig is extremely capable. A stock Sahara (or other non-Rubi) like yours will do what 99.9% of "Overlanders" would EVER ask of it in stock form with a better tire on it, which is exactly what you have. I'd try to link up with some local Jeep groups that do beginner runs so you can watch some other similar Jeeps do stuff that will blow your mind, then try it yourself with proper instruction and spotting. If, down the road, you find you do want to try things beyond your current Jeep's capability the world is your oyster when it comes to aftermarket parts. A simple 2.5-3.5" lift, lockers and 37"s (and perhaps a re-gear for the 37"s while they're in there doing the lockers anyway) and your rig will exceed anything that can truly be considered "overlanding."

-TJ

RETSTO

Rank III

Member II

Tampa
First Name
David
Last Name
Horwitz
Member #

Even without the lockers of the Rubicon, your rig is extremely capable. A stock Sahara (or other non-Rubi) like yours will do what 99.9% of "Overlanders" would EVER ask of it in stock form with a better tire on it, which is exactly what you have. I'd try to link up with some local Jeep groups that do beginner runs so you can watch some other similar Jeeps do stuff that will blow your mind, then try it yourself with proper instruction and spotting. If, down the road, you find you do want to try things beyond your current Jeep's capability the world is your oyster when it comes to aftermarket parts. A simple 2.5-3.5" lift, lockers and 37"s (and perhaps a re-gear for the 37"s while they're in there doing the lockers anyway) and your rig will exceed anything that can truly be considered "overlanding."

-TJ
Thanks TJ. There is a decent size Jeep club in the area I plan on joining. It will be a good group to learn from. I just joined Overland Bound and so far it has paid off with great advice like yours!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Thanks TJ. There is a decent size Jeep club in the area I plan on joining. It will be a good group to learn from. I just joined Overland Bound and so far it has paid off with great advice like yours!
No problem, have fun!

-TJ

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
You jeep will go anywhere you point it really. It depends how much you want to push it. I never bought into the Rubicon package as I feel the lockers, sway bar disconnects, and lower overall gearing is not an advantage in my neck of the woods. My rig does awesome with the uber high 3.21 gearing in it. It's great on the highway where the higher gearing gives us great gas milage and in 4 low, its' still plenty low to crawl over East coast trails with ease. Also, if you do not plan on rock crawling it, lockers are not needed. I have never needed lockers and I put my jeeps in some difficult places. I put 300,000km on my 2011 I owned, at least 2/3 of that was off road. My 2010 patriot was at 110,000km before I traded it on the 2011 wrangler (patriot was the gateway drug), and I have 2015 patriot as well with 106,000km on it. All rigs have been off roaded regularly and never a need for lockers. Good tires are the first upgrade and you got that conquered.

If I were building your rig it would be tires, mild 1.5-2" lift for some added clearance for trail obstacles, lighting and cargo management and finally money for fuel (both you and the rig). Congratulations on becoming a member!

Last edited: