Replacement headlights...Can someone educate me?

• HTML tutorial

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help me understand what I'm looking for when it comes to upgrading my headlights on my old CJ7. They've always been lack luster, but as I get older I realize I don't want to have to compensate for them when technology has improved so much that I don't have to.

Some of my problems are the countless options (incandescent, led, hid, ???), different and confusing specifications, and untold number of manufacturers out there. Then, when I dig into the reviews they're so hit and miss it's mind boggling.

With that in mind can anyone tell me, in the way you might tell a 2nd grader, what I might be looking for with regard to technology and minimum specifications? I'm really looking for the most light I can get, and I'm relatively certain I want a 5000K light, being near daylight. I guess being DOT compliant is pretty important, too :smile:

Thanks in advance!

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

The one i have are JWspeaker 8700 evolution j2's. Its everything jeep could not do in 2012, Now my wife's 2017 has leds go figure.

Reactions: Jimmy P