Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Is there anywhere you can lease offroad trailers? Say lease for a year see if you like it if not take it back and lease a different one and so on. Basically renting with option to buy.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Thats a touchy subject to loaning out my personal rig or a trailer if I had one. It's almost like loaning you chick to someone when your not around....Sounds like a great business idea but when its gear catered to just rentals and even that its rough cause when you go rent like an RV the deposit usually steep and not cheap since the equipment is not cheap either. Now if they were equipment with the rental purpose only, you do what enterprise rental car does and replace the fleet yearly or every two years so you always have new gear and up to date gear.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Lots of uptight answers here. If you want to participate, cool. If not, dont.

If rvshare.com and airbnb.com has figured out how to broker rentals between private parties, its not a big deal. If you are looking to:

Make some extra money.
Help someone enjoy a trip easier.

There are several teardrop/OTG trailer builders throughout Colorado and California who rent. Some want a small fortune, others are easier going about it. No one here believes OB needs to be liable in any way. It would be a simple BB with a liability statement that OB has no liability in rentals and provides listings only. Craigslist does it this way.

Reactions: Charles M

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Bigfoot jeep rentals in broken bow oklahoma does exactly what your asking they rent jeeps out so city folks can go on the trails in ouachita nf. Call and talk to them about what it takes to do high risk rentals.

Pineapple

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Stanfordville, New York, USA
First Name
Hilliard
Last Name
Betancourt
Member #

Hey guys there is a site called RVshare. You can rent trailers but not anything like an Overland trailer. We did it a few years ago. It was. Nice to rent a trailer, it came with insurance and was cheaper than buying one you only use once or twice a year. This was Before we built our overland vehicle. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Billiebob

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Outdoorsy is always an option. Although they charge the renters a fair amount above your rental rate.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

In the 1970s camping was exponentially more popoular than today. EVERY baby boomer family went camping. Line ups at campgrounds started at 10am and continued all day. Rentals, we did it for 5 years, we rented a tent trailer. And we supplied everything else. Cooler, camp stove, sleeping bags were all us. It was affordable. Manufacturers set up rental outlets. Back then thru the 1960s, 1970s camping was 10 times more popular than today. And renting was affordable. The units were incredibly simple. Remember Otto Tent Trailers.

Today, with a few expectations, and the options "overlanders" compete with????? Rentals are a no win option. And the customers.... are a disaster of complain, expect discounts, sue me, I did not do that. Todays overland trailers are wayyy to complex to rent. The mods we live with as buildrs take way to long to explain to Doud and Suzy first time overlanders, they are expecting the all inclusive Club Med.

Back then people expected what they got and were happy.
Today people expect all inclusive and complain like crazy if you want it back clean.

Sorry but if you want to rent your camper..... you need to look at the going rate from a full on rental business and double it.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If rvshare.com and airbnb.com has figured out how to broker rentals between private parties,
Agreed, if you partner with an internet rental firm, you might come ahead. They have done all the due diligence and have an iron clad agreement.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I wonder if we can open another section for rent.
I understand vehicle is high reliability item, and would not happen.
But I thought, roof top tents for instance, it might a good idea. Also trailers like off road one from Turtleback Trailers.
Why I'm asking, I thought doing next year Labrador/ Newfoundland and trailer will make sense with family of four. Two top roof tents, kitchen and shower, so those things can help on long two weeks journey and smooth relationship in family. My kids will be 15/12 next year, so 15 is girl, so definitely will be more better.
Another trip is California Baja, spend some time on wild beach, so trailer will help as well.
I think this is a great idea. Of course OB should not be liable in any form for any issue. But, putting a section in somewhere in the Overland Buy, Sell, Trade, RENT area, would be fantastic.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Lots of uptight answers here. If you want to participate, cool. If not, dont.
I don't think anyone is trying to poop on the parade, but there are issues to this that are important and worthy of consideration, especially if someone is not experienced with this sort of thing. I built and own several strip malls and have been renting to commercial tenants for over 15 yrs ...I know most of the negative factors of renting now because I got burned a few times. I was also a general contractor and rented equipment and know a lot of people who rent equipment and the problems they have. Passing along that information to maybe keep someone else from getting burned isn't being "uptight", its being realistic and helpful.
Ha! I wish I was "uptight" when I started renting, it would have saved me a lot of money! :grinning:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I'm about to buy Opus. And I will try to rent out for the fellow OB members this trailer. I guess we shall see.
Don't make plans for Newfoundland this summer. The borders are closed to people who are not residents this year unfortunately. If they change restrictions, I will be first to post them. Would love to see everyone come here but the current situation has government keeping us closed to outside traffic to lessen the second wave. We will keep everyone posted. Next year will be better.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Thanks. No I wasn't planned this year . This year we will try to drive ME as stay few days there and there. The Labrador and Newf is next year . I love to back on small island on Northern part of Newf and see whales from boat trip. Although you might help me with camping on those areas. Its still west side. Also I will try to explore to forward East but not far . It will be big help . Thanks