Rent from overland bound fellows

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

phlfly

Rank IV

Advocate II

Leesburg, VA, USA
Member #

I wonder if we can open another section for rent.
I understand vehicle is high reliability item, and would not happen.
But I thought, roof top tents for instance, it might a good idea. Also trailers like off road one from Turtleback Trailers.
Why I'm asking, I thought doing next year Labrador/ Newfoundland and trailer will make sense with family of four. Two top roof tents, kitchen and shower, so those things can help on long two weeks journey and smooth relationship in family. My kids will be 15/12 next year, so 15 is girl, so definitely will be more better.
Another trip is California Baja, spend some time on wild beach, so trailer will help as well.

HappyOurOverlanding

US West Region Member Rep

Influencer I

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI7RAM
I wonder if we can open another section for rent.
I understand vehicle is high reliability item, and would not happen.
But I thought, roof top tents for instance, it might a good idea. Also trailers like off road one from Turtleback Trailers.
Why I'm asking, I thought doing next year Labrador/ Newfoundland and trailer will make sense with family of four. Two top roof tents, kitchen and shower, so those things can help on long two weeks journey and smooth relationship in family. My kids will be 15/12 next year, so 15 is girl, so definitely will be more better.
Another trip is California Baja, spend some time on wild beach, so trailer will help as well.
That's an interesting concept for OB'rs. So are you proposing a sanctioned OB thread that folks could offer certain items (in certain areas) that they own and are willing to rent out. I'm sure Michael and Corrie would have to look at the liability issues and the logistics for offering this type of service. It could have advantages for OB'rs sharing more than just knowledge. Maybe you should put up a survey question/vote to test the interest in this.

phlfly

Rank IV

Advocate II

Leesburg, VA, USA
Member #

It's a good website but if it does internally of overland bound it may drive out of business . Why ? Well because every member has ID or personal information is stored in database. So its little more conference to give someone to use thier equipment, so it may drive prices
Just look at trailer some XL trailer is offered for 220 a day ! I understand it has more equipment than any other one . But it's not a luxury Mercedes RV !

avgjoe624

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I feel like this could be a gread idea, however i feel like the cost of renting someones trailer for 2 weeks, along with liability, surely a deposit, and possibly other fees. that it would just be beneficial to make an investment in a travel trailer or build one.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

phlfly

Rank IV

Advocate II

Leesburg, VA, USA
Member #

Yes I hear you . I thought about but I have no access to storage it. And I would only take it for like at least 2 weeks journey. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to take for weekend.

1Louder

Rank V

Advocate II

AZ
Member #

Ham Callsign
K1LDR
The expression "Drive it like its a rental" was coined for a reason! I can't imagine too many people willing to risk damage by renting out their rigs.
Don't rent anything you take pride in, adore, wish to keep in good condition, etc, etc... Your stuff will eventually get destroyed. Would I intentionally do that to someones property? No, but plenty would and plenty are just insanely ignorant.

Reactions: grubworm

sabjku

Rank VI
Supporter

Influencer I

Alexandria, VA
Member #

Yea, I think there's a big risk factor when you're talking loaning personal trailers, tents, etc. to people. Not from a theft perspective, but from a liability perspective. Would I let my next door neighbor and best friend use my trailer? Absolutely. But I also know that he could stroke me a check tomorrow and buy me another one if he damaged it lol.

With that said, I'm sure there's some folks out there that would be willing to entertain, or even participate, in some sort of a program like this.