Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I wonder if we can open another section for rent.
I understand vehicle is high reliability item, and would not happen.
But I thought, roof top tents for instance, it might a good idea. Also trailers like off road one from Turtleback Trailers.
Why I'm asking, I thought doing next year Labrador/ Newfoundland and trailer will make sense with family of four. Two top roof tents, kitchen and shower, so those things can help on long two weeks journey and smooth relationship in family. My kids will be 15/12 next year, so 15 is girl, so definitely will be more better.
Another trip is California Baja, spend some time on wild beach, so trailer will help as well.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I understand vehicle is high reliability item, and would not happen.
But I thought, roof top tents for instance, it might a good idea. Also trailers like off road one from Turtleback Trailers.
Why I'm asking, I thought doing next year Labrador/ Newfoundland and trailer will make sense with family of four. Two top roof tents, kitchen and shower, so those things can help on long two weeks journey and smooth relationship in family. My kids will be 15/12 next year, so 15 is girl, so definitely will be more better.
Another trip is California Baja, spend some time on wild beach, so trailer will help as well.
That's an interesting concept for OB'rs. So are you proposing a sanctioned OB thread that folks could offer certain items (in certain areas) that they own and are willing to rent out. I'm sure Michael and Corrie would have to look at the liability issues and the logistics for offering this type of service. It could have advantages for OB'rs sharing more than just knowledge. Maybe you should put up a survey question/vote to test the interest in this.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

It's a good website but if it does internally of overland bound it may drive out of business . Why ? Well because every member has ID or personal information is stored in database. So its little more conference to give someone to use thier equipment, so it may drive prices
Just look at trailer some XL trailer is offered for 220 a day ! I understand it has more equipment than any other one . But it's not a luxury Mercedes RV !

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

I feel like this could be a gread idea, however i feel like the cost of renting someones trailer for 2 weeks, along with liability, surely a deposit, and possibly other fees. that it would just be beneficial to make an investment in a travel trailer or build one.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Yes I hear you . I thought about but I have no access to storage it. And I would only take it for like at least 2 weeks journey. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to take for weekend.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I would look at Outdoorsy or your local Cragislist.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The expression "Drive it like its a rental" was coined for a reason! I can't imagine too many people willing to risk damage by renting out their rigs.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The expression "Drive it like its a rental" was coined for a reason! I can't imagine too many people willing to risk damage by renting out their rigs.
Don't rent anything you take pride in, adore, wish to keep in good condition, etc, etc... Your stuff will eventually get destroyed. Would I intentionally do that to someones property? No, but plenty would and plenty are just insanely ignorant.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Yea, I think there's a big risk factor when you're talking loaning personal trailers, tents, etc. to people. Not from a theft perspective, but from a liability perspective. Would I let my next door neighbor and best friend use my trailer? Absolutely. But I also know that he could stroke me a check tomorrow and buy me another one if he damaged it lol.

With that said, I'm sure there's some folks out there that would be willing to entertain, or even participate, in some sort of a program like this.

noah.wass

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Wass
Member #

I really like this idea from a conceptual perspective. I would imagine that the renter would need to ensure that they have good insurance. Turo does something similar to this with personal vehicles. If you have a car that you would like to allow people to rent, you sign up for their service, people download the app, find your car, and select to rent it. It's possible, but I feel that people would need to be very aware of the risk they are taking in loaning their equipment out.

Reactions: phlfly

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Don't rent anything you take pride in, adore, wish to keep in good condition, etc, etc... Your stuff will eventually get destroyed. Would I intentionally do that to someones property? No, but plenty would and plenty are just insanely ignorant.
Just have kids.

You might be better off renting your stuff out. At least that way you get some percentage of its value back in your pocket.

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

So I'm pretty much firm to buy Opus trailer. I went between van and truck and trailer . So seems to me trailer like Opus is most optimum solution as I need a every car too.
So let me know how much will be interested to rent from me . I'm in East cost around Leesburg area.

Thank you

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm thinking insurance, deposits, liability, trust.....
Vehicle suitability, securing an RTT to .....
Unlike a trailer, universal reciever hitch and lights are all you need, plus a properly rated vehicle. Things like RTTs have no "universal" mounting system. Often it takes a week to figure out the best way to mount one. And another week to figure out how to load everything else.

If there is a market for it someone would be doing it.

If cost is the issue, buy everything used, or rent a commercial RV. Tent trailer rentals were huge in the 1960s, 1970s but again all you needed was a 2" ball and 4 wire connection.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Tell us how you would cover the liability insurance if the RTT you rent falls off the renters vehicle.

Until that question is answered there is nothing to discuss.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Would be nice to do via with friends here on OB but until then there is a place called https://overlandgearexchange.com/ which does buth rental and sales of used/new Overland gear.

Boort

UPDATE: 9/20/19 - The overlandgearexchange.com site I linked to is now down. :( Posting only "Website Expired This account has expired. If you are the site owner, click below to login."
Some other options include:
Rental Camping Equipment | Rent Tent | Backpacking Equipment - I've bought gear from them and they often have great prices on used camping gear at end of season as they upgrade / for the next season.
Home Page | Wilderness Exchange, Denver Colorado - Another Denver area haunt for used gear. Mostly Camping but lots of other adventure gear. Think EMS or REI but used/affordable.
https://feralmountainco.com/ - Idaho Springs Co (Store in Denver as well) Rentals and sales of mostly backpacking type gear but heard they might be renting RTT's and more overlanding type gear in the future.

Heard good things about:
http://www.rentoffthegrid.com/ - more overlanding focused options including Off Road teardrops and RTT's as well as the gear to stock them.
Roof Top Tent Rentals - Overland Outfitters - Vancouver, BC, Canada - A place where you can rent most of what you need for an overlanding adventure. Including full kitchen setups, RTT's and recovery gear.

Boort

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

UPDATE: 9/20/19 - The overlandgearexchange.com site I linked to is now down. :( Posting only "Website Expired This account has expired. If you are the site owner, click below to login."
Some other options include:
Rental Camping Equipment | Rent Tent | Backpacking Equipment - I've bought gear from them and they often have great prices on used camping gear at end of season as they upgrade / for the next season.
Home Page | Wilderness Exchange, Denver Colorado - Another Denver area haunt for used gear. Mostly Camping but lots of other adventure gear. Think EMS or REI but used/affordable.
https://feralmountainco.com/ - Idaho Springs Co (Store in Denver as well) Rentals and sales of mostly backpacking type gear but heard they might be renting RTT's and more overlanding type gear in the future.

Heard good things about:
http://www.rentoffthegrid.com/ - more overlanding focused options including Off Road teardrops and RTT's as well as the gear to stock them.
Roof Top Tent Rentals - Overland Outfitters - Vancouver, BC, Canada - A place where you can rent most of what you need for an overlanding adventure. Including full kitchen setups, RTT's and recovery gear.

Boort
Thanks for this..
Vancouver, BC, the smallest rental is $450 for 10 days.
And it looks like they rent everything but sleeping bags.

I used to run a hardware store and we rented tools. The tool rates were basically set to recover the tool cost in 4 rentals. Big ticket items a bit longer but the point is rentals are a good buy if you only do it once or don't have room to store the item.

Last edited: