Brea
First Name
JB
Last Name
Blakely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HM6HHK
Would love to see some regional weekend training clinics started for OB members.
I am here in So. CALIFORNIA

Reactions: Narbob

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

This is a great idea. I don't think that there are any current plans for this (I could be wrong) simply due the fact that First Aid is pretty serious and we would want only those who are both certified and top notch teaching it. For now, I would say contact some of the local organizations who offer wilderness first aid and wilderness first responder coursers (first aid is a prereq) to see if you could organize a group rate if a group of OBers were to sign up.

@Michael any plans for this type of thing in the future?

Reactions: Boort

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
While not quite the depth of the Wilderness First Aid course, a great starting point is a Stop the Bleed course. I recommend contacting your local fire district and/or hospital to see if they have a Stop the Bleed trainer. Many/most Stop the Bleed courses will be low to no cost.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I’ll chime in here for Michael as the Medical Ambassador. Yes, there are plans for regional training in first aid. We are developing a platform for standards and standardized training. In the short term I’m looking for a date soon to host a class local to the SF Bay Area. There won’t be any formal certification available so it that is important then you’ll have to look at the REI, NOLS, etc type classes.

MunsterGeo Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mid West Ireland
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Here in Ireland there is some really excellent training available in outdoor / wilderness First Aid that I can highly recommend from personal experience.

It is known as REC. Rescue Emergency Care. The training is available in a variety of levels from basic First Aid to expedition level First Aid, taught and examined as a highly practical course by very well qualified instructors who are very active in the field.

As someone who loves the outdoor environment and is involved in Scouting it's given me the knowledge and confidence to deal with common outdoor injuries where the traditional emergency services in Ireland would have difficulty accessing in a timely manner.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Would love to see some regional weekend training clinics started for OB members.
I am here in So. CALIFORNIA
Great idea and great news, it’s already in the works, we are currently working on adding a variety of training to the local meetups. This will include basic trail first aid, vehicle recovery,GPS/Nav,tire repair and...Any thought or suggestions feel free to reach out to me. @Narbob

Reactions: SAR-MEDIC and Boort

Kevin Klasman

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Hampshire
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Klasman
Member #

Would love to get some training here in New England. My wife and I both took Wilderness First Aid from the Mountaineers when we lived in Seattle, but that was over a decade ago.

Reactions: John Levers

John Levers

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Unity Maine
First Name
John
Last Name
Levers
Member #

Service Branch
Fire Service
If anyone is in the North east I'm a stop the Bleed, First care provider, AHA CPR and first aid instructor. I be happy to set up a class a teach anyone one the basics.

yaceykoe

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Sherwood Park, AB, Canada
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Yaceyko
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6ENY
Hello all, I would be willing to set up a 2 day Standard First Aid course here in Alberta. Max 12 per class, book and certification included ($25.00). I would need about 1 months notice to set everything up, can also deliver the course out on the trail.