Regearing

• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
These rigs did come with 3.08s and the transmissions lasted just fine, not my choice but its a thing.
Those are the 5 speed manual transmission XJs.

Automagics all got 3.55 gears.

At least those are the gears for the XJs with 4.0L engines. The 2.5L 4 bangers are different. Some of those came with 4.10 gears. Hard to find those axles though.

Reactions: Dilldog

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Those are the 5 speed manual transmission XJs.

Automagics all got 3.55 gears.

At least those are the gears for the XJs with 4.0L engines. The 2.5L 4 bangers are different. Some of those came with 4.10 gears. Hard to find those axles though.
My 89 XJ was a weird one, it came with the 4.0L engine, Overdrive Automatic Transmission, NP242 T-Case, Dana 35 front axle and Dana 44 rear with 4.10 gears. It was all factory. I knew I had something special because it also had a manual factory sun roof, power everything, and leather interior.

Reactions: OTH Overland

Lief_WJ

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Independence, MO, USA
First Name
Lief
Last Name
Humphreys
Service Branch
US Navy
just had my transmission rebuilt and the gentleman said I need to regear otherwise I’m going to burn the transmission out. It’s a 2000 Cherokee with the 4.0 and 3:55 gear ratio. Currently running 265/75/17 BFG Mud Terrains. Will I burn out my transmission?
Let me know... I have a WJ w/285s MTs and 3:55s. Not my daily though.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I bought the Jeep with the lift. Would cost to much to put it back to stock.
I did with mine also. But I had to re-do the entire lift. Everything has been redone so that it is a great suspension now. I've sunk a lot of money into this rig . Not complaining to much because it hasn't cost me as much as a new vehicle would have and my Ford F-150 is my daily driver. The Jeep has been terrific. But I feel a stock Xj would prove to be cheaper to keep. You have a very nice rig, and it will serve you well.

Reactions: M Rose

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
31's tires - automatic tranny - 4.10 gears
33's tires - automatic tranny - 4.56 gears
Personally if I had the chance to start over, a good running stock Xj no lift. Maybe some armor to protect the essentials. Because with all the never ending mods that money can buy. That money can be spent on so many adventures. You would be surprised at just how capable your rig is stock.

This! I put 2" lift on most things I have owned in the past 15 years, just to clear some larger tires. We don't Rawk Krawl here, it is 99 percent back country logging roads with some river crossings etc. a bit of extra lift to fit larger tires and stop the belly from scraping over rocks in the trail is all we need...and most people need really. I only ever ran 33's on my JKU's I have owned. No need to go bigger for the sake of "looking cool". I would LOVE to get a stock XJ somewhere. I know of one in town but I don't think he's going to sell it.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

This! I put 2" lift on most things I have owned in the past 15 years, just to clear some larger tires. We don't Rawk Krawl here, it is 99 percent back country logging roads with some river crossings etc. a bit of extra lift to fit larger tires and stop the belly from scraping over rocks in the trail is all we need...and most people need really. I only ever ran 33's on my JKU's I have owned. No need to go bigger for the sake of "looking cool". I would LOVE to get a stock XJ somewhere. I know of one in town but I don't think he's going to sell it.
I have the bigger tires for the same reason to get to some fishing sites. I don’t want 33” tires for looks. Right now running 32” tires and not sure if I regear to 4:56 it will be to much. It is my daily driver.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
My 89 XJ was a weird one, it came with the 4.0L engine, Overdrive Automatic Transmission, NP242 T-Case, Dana 35 front axle and Dana 44 rear with 4.10 gears. It was all factory. I knew I had something special because it also had a manual factory sun roof, power everything, and leather interior.
Do you still have any documents that would have the VIN for that XJ? I would love to see the build sheet.

ETA: I am going to guess you mean Dana 30 front axle. I have never heard of a Dana 35 front. Otherwise that was indeed quite the unicorn.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The 44 rear was a rare towing option. That diff was really sought after for the CJ's and the YJs . When we couldn't get those, people started using the Ford 8.8.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Do you still have any documents that would have the VIN for that XJ? I would love to see the build sheet.

ETA: I am going to guess you mean Dana 30 front axle. I have never heard of a Dana 35 front. Otherwise that was indeed quite the unicorn.
It was infact a Dana 35… The Dana 35 was used from 1962-1989 by AMC. And 1985-2000 For Ranger/Bronco 2 TTB.

No I don’t have the vin nor the build sheet any more… I sold it back in 2009 along with dealer invoices. I went rounds about this with the guys on NAXJ as well. But it was in fact confirmed that the XJ was a special order for a dealer in Colorado.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That always seems to be the story. No one can document it.
I had the documents when I owned it… but since it was a rare beast I passed them on to the new owner. That way he had the documentation for when he had to get repairs done… trust me… it was a PITA telling the parts counter clerk that the computer was wrong.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
At 60mph my rpm is 1900. Does slow down on hills.
Yeah 1900 is a bit low, the 4.0L is in fact a quite rev happy engine, peak HP is 4600rpm and peak torque is 3200rpm. Honestly When I ran my TJ I found myself running it in 4th rather than 5th quite a bit because it seemed happier, it liked running around the 2500rpm range at cruise. The 3.08 gears my TJ was set up with seriously made 5th gear next to useless.

Honestly when it comes to rigs that you will be using off road and or using to carry a load I am a HUGE fan of over gearing. Fuel millage may suffer a bit (sometimes it doesnt though) but it makes the rig much easier to drive and reduces strain on the drivetrain.
If you went with 4.88s and 33s you would be running 2200rpm at 60, and 2600rpm at 70. Honestly if it were me I would go 4.88s.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Yeah 1900 is a bit low, the 4.0L is in fact a quite rev happy engine, peak HP is 4600rpm and peak torque is 3200rpm. Honestly When I ran my TJ I found myself running it in 4th rather than 5th quite a bit because it seemed happier, it liked running around the 2500rpm range at cruise. The 3.08 gears my TJ was set up with seriously made 5th gear next to useless.

Honestly when it comes to rigs that you will be using off road and or using to carry a load I am a HUGE fan of over gearing. Fuel millage may suffer a bit (sometimes it doesnt though) but it makes the rig much easier to drive and reduces strain on the drivetrain.
If you went with 4.88s and 33s you would be running 2200rpm at 60, and 2600rpm at 70. Honestly if it were me I would go 4.88s.
Exactly what I was going to suggest, aim for 2200-2400 rpm while crusing at 60 mph. That's with a 6. my 4 cyl runs 22-2300 at 60mph and honestly, I wish it were a bit higher to keep it from down shifting so much. 5th gear is too low for 60mph crusing at 2800 rpm. and 6th is too low.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Exactly what I was going to suggest, aim for 2200-2400 rpm while crusing at 60 mph. That's with a 6. my 4 cyl runs 22-2300 at 60mph and honestly, I wish it were a bit higher to keep it from down shifting so much. 5th gear is too low for 60mph crusing at 2800 rpm. and 6th is too low.
Pulling hills I would often downshift to 2nd in my TJ. Nothing like spinning 4500rpm pulling mountain passes on the Interstate, lol...

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Talked with a place that does regearing. They recommended 4:56 gears saying at 65 my rpm would be 2700 on the highway. 4:10 would be 2400. If I went 4:56 would the high rpm’s hurt the motor for a extended time?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Nope. You'll be getting a bigger tire soon, anyways.

4.10 is a waste of time and money.
4.30 is meh.
4.56 is good.

But the fun starts at 4.88. If your axles can handle it.

Reactions: Jeepmedic46

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513

Dana 35 is used in the second generation Explorer. Same as the 30, just the chunk without axle tunes.
It's also high pinion, so no reverse gearing.

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Nope. You'll be getting a bigger tire soon, anyways.

4.10 is a waste of time and money.
4.30 is meh.
4.56 is good.

But the fun starts at 4.88. If your axles can handle it.
So 2700 rpm won’t hurt my engine?