Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
This is the new Northern Arizona Monthly Meet up Thread. after a successful initial meet and greet we decided we want to make this a regular occurrence, moving around, riding various trails, exploring and learning....Mainly getting together and having fun!

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
I hope to make some of these, looking forward to meeting new friends some new trails.

BrothadH2

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

This is the new Northern Arizona Monthly Meet up Thread. after a successful initial meet and greet we decided we want to make this a regular occurrence, moving around, riding various trails, exploring and learning....Mainly getting together and having fun!
Very interested in attending future events and trail rides!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

• First off I want to thank you all for coming and giving your ideas and opinions on what we should or can do...You all are awesome!

I think we should work a date for an all day run? We can try to put in some training with it......

So December is holiday month and will be busy for some/most/none? Do we want to skip December or try a run? If we do I suggest somewhere around the 15th so we got space before Christmas....

So lets hear what you all think......December? Yeah or nay, if yeah 15th or??

January temps start dropping so keep that in mind.....Maybe we can do a run to the south? Join up with Southern Arizona on a trip? (if they are having one), I can contact them and see what they got on the calendar or we can just plan our own thing. Outside Primm Nevada is the Clark mtns and while cold at elevation, down on the flats, low is just around 38-40 in Jan/Feb if we want to do our own thing, we can camp on the flats and ride to the mtns during the days, I have locations for abandoned but kept cabins, some mines and stuff....But Phoenix is like the high 40's and 10 degrees does make a difference...LOL So to help decide this I think we should see about a range/distance you are willing to travel to get to a spot. Another words, You might say "I am willing to drive 5 hours to our base camp spot". Now keep in mind we would be hitting the trails in the morning Saturday, camp Sat night, trails Sunday and some camp again and others depart home.....So think about this.

I hope I am not all over the place with this, I just want to throw out things we should think about when deciding.....

For myself I will have to take off work to attend most events which is ok but I would like to get advance notice when possible. Also While I got a zillion places marked out in G Earth, most are in the tri state area, Ca. AZ. NV., think Eastern Mojave Preserve, Kingman Area and mostly mines and mining camps with 4x4 trails. So if we want to do something on this side, I can get us something set up, keep that in mind for the future as well.

Ok surveys, most are interested in learning: Recover/Trail fixes, Navigation, Emergency/Survival/Firearms (includes Trail Medical) and Driving Skills. So that is a great starting point to do some classes and a few (myself as well) are interested in gear reviews, now for me, I love actual users telling about their gear, they are perfect for giving a low down/no bluff review. So that will be incorporated as well.

I am an idiot, I spaced who told me they had some land we could use, I mentally went right to how we could use this and spaced who told me, sorry (I am thinking John but....). Maybe we can put a run on or sets of classes on and camp on the land?

I will work on getting "teachers" for the things we are interested in.......Of note, if we can kinda set a regular, semi-regular date for our meets, it will be easier to line up the teachers....

The dedicated thread for Northern Arizona is:
    https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/recurring-northern-arizona-meet-up.20480/

I have asked for it to become a sticky so we can find it easier.

I will be posting most of this email on the thread so those who did not attend can catch up with us.....

Jim
    928-278-8555, leave a msg, will call back if I dont answer.

Update: I am working on lining up the medical training now....Reached out for other training as well.

Overlandtraveler

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

• First off I want to thank you all for coming and giving your ideas and opinions on what we should or can do...You all are awesome!

I think we should work a date for an all day run? We can try to put in some training with it......

So December is holiday month and will be busy for some/most/none? Do we want to skip December or try a run? If we do I suggest somewhere around the 15th so we got space before Christmas....

So lets hear what you all think......December? Yeah or nay, if yeah 15th or??
Given the holidays, doing a run in Dec might be pretty hard for me. However, as of this moment, Dec 15th might be possible if everyone else wants to do something. -Ken

Reactions: BrothadH2

BJP

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Parsons
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VSS
Jim, we are free the last half of December and much of January and February. We don’t mind cold weather camping but certainly prefer a warm location. As far as distance, we can go most anywhere, anytime as we are retired.

Brad

Reactions: Jim SoG

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok north Arizona just checking in to say I hope we are all staying warm!, We got some snow on the Hualapai's...Any in Flag yet?

Safe to say we will put a meet together for Jan not December if everyone is good with that?

Jim

BJP

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Parsons
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VSS
Ok north Arizona just checking in to say I hope we are all staying warm!, We got some snow on the Hualapai's...Any in Flag yet?

Safe to say we will put a meet together for Jan not December if everyone is good with that?

Jim
January is good for us.

Brad

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM

Jim
Jan is good, was there a location picked yet?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
So is everyone free for January? Say either the 12th (Sat.) or 19th (Sat.)? I think I got the dates correct.......Also Suggestions on location? Was thinking it being winter and maybe snowy or moist, maybe try to do a teaching/learning meeting? Maybe even do it on a trail?

Open to suggestions for any or all......

Jim

KevinsOffroad.com

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Posting up for notifications and expressing interest. We have a place in Flag and Phoenix, and are up for whatever within say 4-5 hours for a weekend thing, or further if it was say a week or two long. We like to travel slowly, smell the flowers, and try to put in a max of 200 miles per day....makes it more enjoyable for us that way.

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
So is everyone free for January? Say either the 12th (Sat.) or 19th (Sat.)? I think I got the dates correct.......Also Suggestions on location? Was thinking it being winter and maybe snowy or moist, maybe try to do a teaching/learning meeting? Maybe even do it on a trail?

Open to suggestions for any or all......

Jim
I am off on the 19th

BJP

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Parsons
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VSS
Both dates work for us. Be nice to pick warm place.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Both dates work for us. Be nice to pick warm place.
Agreed but hard to get unless we travel down......Maybe way down.......

Better yet, what is warm to you? Here it has been mid 60's to mid 70's, of course subject to change.....

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Posting up for notifications and expressing interest. We have a place in Flag and Phoenix, and are up for whatever within say 4-5 hours for a weekend thing, or further if it was say a week or two long. We like to travel slowly, smell the flowers, and try to put in a max of 200 miles per day....makes it more enjoyable for us that way.

Will be sure to include you! Welcome.

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
For a suggestion, we could meet in Parker Arizona, It is like 3.5 hours from Flagstaff to give you an idea of distance. There are several trails on both sides of the river, I am sure there is camping both dispersed and pay (I would check it out), the temps are 68 day and 40 night.....If we do a 2 day, 1 night, we can arrive, set up, trail ride, camp (or leave if not staying), wake and ride trails and head home (or stay if you desired more trails.....We can do moderate/easier trails...

Just an idea, LMK and I will put it together.

Main thing is being free the 19th (and 20th if camping).

Jim