Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Getting set for some upcoming weekend trips that will include some Offroad trails. I currently don’t have a rig with a winch but would like to invest in some recovery track. I am on a budget looking to stretch those overlanding dollars as far as I can and want to hear from the community about your experiences with traction boards. I would like to get one set but not sure if I need two sets. From your experience would you go out on trail with just one set?

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Getting set for some upcoming weekend trips that will include some Offroad trails. I currently don’t have a rig with a winch but would like to invest in some recovery track. I am on a budget looking to stretch those overlanding dollars as far as I can and want to hear from the community about your experiences with traction boards. I would like to get one set but not sure if I need two sets. From your experience would you go out on trail with just one set?
I think most people run with one pair. I just picked up my first set last week. I'm from Indy as well, so hi! I took my 06 4Runner to the Badlands in Attica Indiana two weeks ago when it was 50 degrees. There was lots and lots of water and mud and sand. I didn't have boards at the time. There was a place or two that was a little sketchy but we made it through no problem. I used it as a proving ground for my rig. I just put my rig together and am planning on going out west this summer. Needed a test run and its not too far away. Heres a few pics and few videos. IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0541.JPG

Last edited:

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Thanks for the reply. I have had the Badlands on the list for awhile now just have not made the time to go.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

My thought is 2 sets. Unless your only 2 wheel drive . If I’m stuck I want the quickest way out. That was my reasoning for carrying 2 sets. & FYI I opted to go with the x-bull traction boards. Way cheaper than the others & awesome quality. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

I was looking at the x-bull and a few of the others. Good to hear that you have had good experience with them. It makes good sense with mud or sand for sure to have two sets. The only experience I have had with some recovery tracks was a pair of Treds a friend had when I got the 4Runner high centered on rocks. A single pair got us out pretty quick. Thanks Jku Ben

Reactions: RainGoat

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

+1 on X-Bull. They are often ~$65 on ebay (I’ve bought 3 sets that way-gifts). Waypoint Overland has used them & Maxtracks & broken both. He sees little difference & now just carries X-Bulls. The X-Bulls don’t stack nearly as tight (so there’s that) but the cost difference is astronomical.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

+1 on X-Bull. They are often ~$65 on ebay (I’ve bought 3 sets that way-gifts). Waypoint Overland has used them & Maxtracks & broken both. He sees little difference & now just carries X-Bulls. The X-Bulls don’t stack nearly as tight (so there’s that) but the cost difference is astronomical.
Breaking a set of Maxtracks would sting pretty hard. Getting a set for a third of the price and those getting destroyed will not be nearly as painful.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

I went for two sets of eBay recovery boards. They don’t seem to have a name but if they are anything close to x-bull I got a heck of a deal. With the option to make an offer I bought both sets for $110. I will post some pics once they are delivered. Should be here in about a week.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I have 2 sets of the speedmaster boards. I’m glad to see you got a good deal on yours. I was going to suggest buying some of the cheaper boards, while saving money for a bumper and winch. Not that you asked, but my advice on winches and bumpers... spend more on a quality bumper. If you want a Warn winch, keep watching Craigslist. You’ll come across a deal if your patient.

Reactions: Beee and RainGoat

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I'll be getting some of these in the next couple months. I've decided to go with the Smittybilt ones. Half the price of Maxtrax. I've watched some YouTube videos that compare the two and Smittybilt performs just as well. They only come in a sagey green but I like that color.

Reactions: Beee

Recon32

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indiana
Member #

Thanks for the reply. I have had the Badlands on the list for awhile now just have not made the time to go.
Just moved to Carmel this past year and today I went to Badlands! It was a really great time. Let me know if you want to go sometime.

Reactions: Beee

justintheegreat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California
Member #

Yup. I have the xbull boards as well as my dad. They cracked after using them a few times but they still work. The bag sucks. But whatever. I throw em in the bed anyways.
For the money. I'd gladly buy another set once these stop working. Like $86 on amazon

HPM

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
McQueen
Has anyone tried GoTreads? Saw them at Expo East and was impressed. They pack small, can be used folded to get a vehicle/trailer level for camping, have the strength for commercial trucks, and only $119 for a pair. Considering this as a good alternative to Maxtraxs, or perhaps a pair of each.

Beee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Noblesville, IN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ruschak
Member #

Received the 10 ton eBay recovery tracks yesterday. Just wanted to load some pics for you.
IMG_1234.JPGIMG_1236.JPGIMG_1237.JPGIMG_1238.JPGIMG_1239.JPGIMG_1240.JPG
The first of a few big difference between these and Maxtrac are price and stacking. On eBay I was able to get both pairs shipped to me from CA to IN for $110 total. So for 1/3 of the cost of a set of Maxtrac I had to try them. The down side of them for sure is they do not stack well. The two pair measures 8 1/4”. So they are going to take a good bit of space.

I will follow up on the thread once I need to use them.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I’d say at least 4, if travelling solo, is ideal but I only have the pair. Yep, I went the Maxtraxs route and even second hand that’s all I could afford at the time.
Even if you don’t put one under each wheel I’ve seen them used to good affect placed across the direction of travel to stop one placed normally from disappearing in soft ground. They also come in handy for levelling the vehicle if you have a RTT.