Recovery Bag Recommendations

• HTML tutorial

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

I like the fact that Deadman Anchor has additional versitility over a PullPal and is way lighter. For someone who spends a lot of time wheeling where there is deep sand that looks like a great option. It would take all day to dig a hole in the mountains around here to bury it or any other for that matter.
I agree, I like the versatility that the deadman has, if there’s no option to bury it, you can use it on a tree or boulder or something. Most of the times 1 of those 3 are everywhere

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I agree, I like the versatility that the deadman has, if there’s no option to bury it, you can use it on a tree or boulder or something. Most of the times 1 of those 3 are everywhere
Correct, but it’s a really expensive tree strap. Don’t get me wrong I really like its design. I’m just not sure I wheel enough sand to warrant the cost. If you spend a ton of time in the dunes then it’s a no brainer.

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

Correct, but it’s a really expensive tree strap. Don’t get me wrong I really like its design. I’m just not sure I wheel enough sand to warrant the cost. If you spend a ton of time in the dunes then it’s a no brainer.
Yea haha it is really expensive. And you would require a winch or another off road car with you on the trip.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I solo a lot so I carry extra gear, 3 snatch blocks, 200ft of rope, 4 hard and 2 soft shackles. Plus the normal recovery rope, straps, gloves and Hi-Lift gear. It all fits in a Plano Sportsmans case and I have the Hi-Lift bag if needed. I think what you use is dictated by the type of rig you have. I have a truck so it's easy the strap down large totes in the bed.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

A bag from your local gym is good. No one is going to break in to steal your smelly sneakers and jock strap! :laughing:

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
At the moment I just use a tool bag from the local hardware store. But of the 3 you show I'd say the arb. they don't generally skimp on quality. I do like both the back pack and hard side case ideas though. May have to do some thinking. We usually always have a back pack with us. So I could use a hard case and just toss what I need in a pack if I need to run it up a hill or something.

jcwrench

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'd just run down to the local military surplus store and see if they have something. Or check out Lowes or Home Depot and look at the tool bags. I don't see the point to spending the extra money on a bag just because it has a fancy name on it, but then again I'm a cheap ass. Out of curiosity, what do those bags cost?
You bring up an excellent point. As we all know, any kind of motorsport hobby/lifestyle can drain your wallet quickly. IMO, somethings can be cheap and work just as well as expensive stuff. Sometimes, the expensive option is the only one.

I want to be a part of this community to learn how not loose my ass on gear. And to meet folks, have fun, learn things...

Reactions: demulsion

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I've recently built up my recovery kit, but I am in need of a great bag. I've found a few options, but I am curious what everyone else is using. Below of the three main competitors I have my eye on:

ARB Large Recovery Bag:

Viking Recovery Gear Bag M4:

Blue Ridge Overland Gear "Oh Crap, I'm Stuck":

My kit currently comprises of a 30' kinetic rope, 50' winch extension, 16' tree savor, a static recovery bridle, a few soft shackles, and of course, gloves. I am still shopping for a winch line block.

My guess is that everything I have may fit in the Viking or ARB, but I would need two Blue Ridge bags. I suppose there are pros and cons to splitting gear up. I'll end up needing a second bag anyway to keep my tire repair kit, airline hose, deflator, and hi-lift base plate.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I posted in the thread....."whats in your recovery kit" It is extensive. With that said, I use 2 ARB bags. The Large $55 and the small shoe box shaped one $35. The large bag fits my straps, the line dampener, most of my clevis's, a pair of gloves. It just barely closes. The smaller one fits the 36,000lb. scissor style snatch block, 2 clevis, and a tree strap. I use a mechanics tool bag for the chains, another for the military shovel and extra gloves and oddball stuff. A ammo can for the Vivair 88P compressor.....all these keep everything organized and allows at a glace---what is what!

EDIT: 01/06/19

The ARB bag is well designed, and the material used is Heavy Duty. The construction feels like it will stand up for years of use. This is not a cheaply made bag. The opening is easy to use with your rolled straps. If you only use 2 straps you can put a folded dampener blanket vertical. Otherwise it can be layered over the 3 straps, and the flap folded over it to close. The WARN and the ARB dampener are of HD construction (thick) vs some others (thin). I use a WARN.

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

stored under rear seat of truck in rigging bag (next to my portable VIAIR Compressor)
4 - 3/4" Shackles
1 - 2" x 20ft. 20,000lbs. breaking strength Recovery Strap
1 - 17,000 lbs. Snatch Block
3"x 6' 30,000 lbs. Tree Saver
Trail Gloves, 2 pares for me & the wife
cord winch remote

stored under rear seat of truck next to rigging bag under white towel
Spare \ Extra 7\16" x 50ft. Master Pull Classic Synthetic Winch Rope 21,500lbs. breaking strength
25 ft of 3/8″ Dyneema 18,500lbs. breaking strength extension rope

bags furthest right side passenger (red) First Aid \ Trama Bag , Tool Kit, Recovery Bag, VIAIR Compressor.
50919592_2032174463498084_2454610106432618496_n.jpg

Last edited:

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
stored under rear seat of truck in rigging bag
4 - 3/4" Shackles
cord winch remote

stored under rear seat of truck next to rigging bag under towel
Spare \ Extra 7\16" x 50ft. Master Pull Classic Synthetic Winch Rope 21,500lbs. breaking strength

bags furthest right (red) First Aid \ Trama Bag , Tool Kit (black).
View attachment 81156
I have a Rigid hard case attached to my rear bumper for the basics.. air up hose, shackles, air down tool, 30 ft snatch strap, 20ft tow strap, and gloves. Nice not to open up the hatch or dig under seats for quick stuff. It is easily detachable so I can carry it up the trail to assist if needed. Dust and rainproof, part of the Rigid stackable design and lockable.IMG_20181222_111529.jpeg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
stored under rear seat of truck in rigging bag
4 - 3/4" Shackles
cord winch remote

stored under rear seat of truck next to rigging bag under towel

bags furthest right (red) First Aid \ Trama Bag , Tool Kit (black) next to the First Aid bag.
View attachment 81156
I use 2 ARB gear bags.. They are just 2 of those I use in my recovery gear ensemble.
Here is a picture of the smaller 1.
The OEM TRUCK hooks paired with the winch bumper CLEVIS rings 20180415_200429.jpeg20180415_200309.jpeg20170407_175133.jpeg170309_123059_9.jpeg

Reactions: JoeSmith1696

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

I just finished the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands. My tire chains saved the day.

I got stuck halfway up the north slope of Murphy Hogback on a sheet of ice. Going forward was impossible, and I had no steering control to back down.

So I pulled out my chains, put them on, and self-recovered. In this case there was no anchor point to winch to, no other trail users, and I was really stuck. I'd recommend carrying a set (of 4) when traveling alone.

Hello,
Just picked up a set of these GoTreads myself . Been on the Beaches Camping for decades , these look like a welcome addition . There are copy-cats out there , but I don't think they come close . There's a reason they have the patented tread design and Military contracts . I hope I DON'T need them , but for the price and quality as well as positive reviews , they are a welcomed added piece . I may even do a test myself when we get back out there this year . Can't wait to get myself buried ha ha ha Happy Trails !

Reactions: OutOfStep

OutOfStep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego, CA, USA
Member #

Hello,
Just picked up a set of these GoTreads myself . Been on the Beaches Camping for decades , these look like a welcome addition . There are copy-cats out there , but I don't think they come close . There's a reason they have the patented tread design and Military contracts . I hope I DON'T need them , but for the price and quality as well as positive reviews , they are a welcomed added piece . I may even do a test myself when we get back out there this year . Can't wait to get myself buried ha ha ha Happy Trails !
Nice! Welcome to team gotreads (if there is such a thing; maybe we need to start one lol) anyways yea I was on the market for a traction board and it came down to maxtrax(and somewhat similar but less pricey) or gotreads. Maxtrax is way too overpriced for what it is, as you start to look at other brands and have the same design, you’ll just be paying for the maxtrax name technically. and for the set up I have going on for my rig, I would not have room for them or at least I think so. So then gotreads- they sold me on a lot of points; price, you can’t go wrong on a pair for $120. And they back that up with a lifetime warranty. They are foldable; really saves me space. Multifunctional; you can use them as leveling blocks. American made, military friendly, etc. btw if you haven’t already, go to blueridgeoverland.com they sell bags for the gotreads

IMG_0972.JPG

Reactions: ExtremeBeach

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

No reason to get fancy on a bag. It serves no purpose other than looking pretty. Ive got mine in a plastic tote from walmart and it works just fine.

Those deadman anchors are great in sand but youll never dig a hole in the rockies to attempt to bury one.

That nice and pretty $150 arb bag looks great until the first time you get stuck in the mud and it soaks up water and ruins your gear.

Reactions: slomatt
Love the bag , Nice and neat , for us Neurotics ! . On a serious note , I said when I joined the forums , I am nowhere near the explorer of most if not all on here . I do enjoy the stories and I can relate to some of the equipment . We have some basic rules here for the equipment , all directed towards the sand use , most very basic and common sense but the GoTreads seemed like a good fit for me . Team GoTread ... hmmm .