Recommendations for Upgrading suspension

• HTML tutorial

Brandonn

Rank 0

Traveler I

I did not know about alcan, thank you for the info! So for your xterra Terry, you said a custom spring of 3" lift with +500lbs. Is that a 3" lift in the back to compensate for the extra weight or what is it talking about what lift you are compensating in the front? How do you determine what lbs to have the springs rated for? Daryl, I was lucky to get the truck with only 68,000 miles on it, I have 86,000 on it now. Was thinking about doing the possible suspension upgrade if needed around or after 100,000 to get my money's worth out of the stock parts, you know?

Reactions: Daryl 32

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
They will have 3" of lift with an extra 500lbs in the vehicle. The factory rear bumpers are thin and when you replace them with a bumper that is 3/16"+thick plate and move the spare tire out from under the vehicle further from the rear axle, that increases the load.

With our camping gear loaded, cooler and a tote of gear on the hitch carrier and us in the Xterra last week, I could touch the bump stops at will leaving stop lights with just a touch of extra throttle. I just got a pair of the Helwig helper springs to install to hopefully help with this on our trip next month.

Reactions: Daryl 32