Recommendations for Upgrading suspension

• HTML tutorial

Brandonn

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey guys,
I am starting to get into off roading now that I have a more capable vehicle compared to my last one. I am uneducated about the companies out there for aftermarket parts and knowing which ones produce good quality parts over the others.I want to work on upgrading the suspension first since that is what I think of as the most important system for offroading. My truck has all stock parts. It is a 2005 Nissan Titan LE V8 4x4. Any pointers or tips on what company or suspension systems to use for the truck? I am wanting to do a 3inch lift on the front and beef up the rear suspension as well, nothing too crazy.

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

The answer all depends on the degree of trail you'll be taking or want to take. You could spend anywhere from $500 to $5000 very easily when all you really need is about $1000 worth.

Most trucks are very capable and only need certain parts replace with stronger versions that can handle the wear and tear of offroad abuse. For example, I have a 2010 f150 4x4 and have bilstein 5100 shocks all around with the adjustables up front for a 2.5" level. This combined with offroad tires can get me 90% of the places I'll want to go. Beyond that, replacing parts like the upper control arms are the only other mods I'll really need.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Trailahilic gave you a good advice. It all depends on how much you want to spend. I have Old Man Emu on my FJ. It is generally considered to be at the top of the good range of suspension mods. I put heavier rear springs in and a 2.5" lift. It probably has 70,000 miles on it and still fine. I would get on a Nissan specific forum. But like batteries, tires, vehicles, and anything else opinions will vary widely!

Brandonn

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thank you both for the great advice. You have me considering what I am really wanting out of the vehicle and what I plan to actually do which wont be rock crawling or wanting to spend more than I need to in parts. I am more nervous on spending money on a part and it not being what I am needing out of it. I want to put the good quality part on there the first time, you know?

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I have taken the same approach on all my vehicles. Get out in nature with the vehicle you have stock. The bits that need to be modified will make themselves evident. As you decide to explore more places, the vehicle will change to meet these needs. This strategy can save you lots of money, on unnecessary modifications.

Reactions: TerryD and Daryl 32

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Lots of great advice so far!

I like to always think of safety or getting home first. Someone in the group posted a picture of a dash sticker "Remember you have to drive this HOME" or something close to that.

I started our 1999 F250 by doing maintenance first and replacing any parts that looked well used or just plan worn out. And looked to see if stock replacement would be good enough or up grading better idea.

We have Bilstien 5100 all around, rebuilt 2WD front end as the truck is pretty much my DD. Most recently I got the rearend rebuilt as the truck has 240,000 miles on it. Upgraded to 4:10 gears and Detroit locked as it was cheaper then rebuilding the wore out stock limited slip diff.

Anyway drive - do some easy off roading and see if the truck shows any weak spots and go from there.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I agree with everyone else so far, you need to get the truck out and see if you really need to lift it. Lifts add stress on the system. If you NEED a lift that's one thing, but to lift it just to lift it might not be the best course of action. Tires cost more, probably cut life spans of things like wheel bearings and steering parts down and sticks you with some one-off bits that may be hard to replace.

I came from the off-roading world to overlanding so I've seen some really well built stuff and I also have dealt with the wear and tear that having the big lifts can bring on. 3" doesn't sound like much, but in most cases you are maxing out the factory geometry and the CV's and ball joints suffer for that. Plus that opens you up to much bigger tires which will require regearing to maintain your fuel economy and power. All added costs that can be discouraging and cause a person to lose interest in a hurry. Nothing more discouraging that spending more time repairing your truck than you do driving it, I can promise you that. I've had several friends leave the 4x4 community all together and scrap some really neat projects because they started with projects instead of actually getting out and wheeling what they had to build the interest and ability. Becoming a good driver first is more important than what parts you put together ever will be. I've watched a very good friend of mine take a stock Tacoma on 235/75's up trails where other club members on 33's and 35's with lockers were suffering. Know your rig, know your limits, and go wheeling!!

Find some people who you trust to go out with and hit a few trails. You may find that all you need are some sliders and the largest tire that will fit stock. Titans have pretty good clearance from the factory. Plus you won't be lifting heavy gear as high to get it in the bed or on a rack if you go that route. If you need more capacity, you can get something like the Helwig helper springs that bolt to the top of your existing springs to increase capacity, but being a 1/2 ton truck, I can't imagine you'd need to go up much initially. A good set of mono-tube shocks to control the load and good loading technique will do surprising things for you.

But, to your question, I'm in the Nissan boat as well so check out PRG Products and Nisstec. They are really popular vendors on the Xterra boards and offer Titan stuff as well.

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
Terry, All;

Good advice. Still debating on my 2015 Tacoma which I have left stock for two years. I have done some moderate trails, and the off road package from the factory is very capable, although I am still a novice for the most part and not sure if I am in a position to speak on any of it. Not sure if I will do anything other than add more aggressive tires than the stock Rugged Trails it came with, although they are about 3 weeks till death.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Terry, All;

Good advice. Still debating on my 2015 Tacoma which I have left stock for two years. I have done some moderate trails, and the off road package from the factory is very capable, although I am still a novice for the most part and not sure if I am in a position to speak on any of it. Not sure if I will do anything other than add more aggressive tires than the stock Rugged Trails it came with, although they are about 3 weeks till death.
I sometimes feel like a hypocrite when I answer threads like this since I've lifted a few vehicles. However, I've always been a small lift guy. My Cherokee was on 3" lift and 31's where everyone else was going minimum 4" and trying for 33's. Staying small meant I didn't have to replace my driveshaft, control arms, and factory gears wasn't a complete killer. I put a lot of time and research into lifting my vehicles and try to get the most lift that requires the least amount of factory parts replacement. My Cherokee's rear driveshaft was pretty much maxed out at 3" of lift, going bigger would have required a SYE of some sort and a custom rear driveshaft, prices starting in the $500 range for only an inch of extra lift and 1" of extra under axle clearance from 31's vs 33's. Plus the price difference of 33's vs the 31's I ran. So best case I would have had to spend an extra $650-700 for 1" extra clearance under the axles.

Now, my Xterra is currently stock. I am amassing parts to lift it, but only a 2" lift. This keeps me in the limits of the factory front suspension geometry but gains me a little ground clearance under the very low belly of the Xterra. I'll probably add sliders and start beefing up the factory skid plates before I get the lift done. Two reasons here, 1: My tires are really good and I can't justify dumping $1k into tires when I've got another 10-15k miles on the ones I have. 2: Sliders and skids can make up for some lift with a little tire placement.

I could continue to ramble, in fact I've spent about 30 minutes typing and erasing things that I felt like were just jumbling up this reply, but there you go.

Will Macia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Camas, WA
I love my Xterra, but I gave it to my sons to drive now... Great vehicles. I agree with you - I lifted my 87 YJ only 2" and all my buds made fun of me, but I loved that damn thing and it kept things simple and affordable and improved the performance just enough. Thanks for the info.

Brandonn

Rank 0

Traveler I

I totally agree with a lot of great advice! When I first started thinking about this I had one mind set but I definitely wanted input and advice to guide me on making the right decision. I will be hitting a few trails this weekend so that will give me an insight onto how the truck handles. I will be considering the bilstein 5100 shocks in the future, since I do feel like the front is just low enough to hit rocks. I did get to browse PRG Products and Nisstec websites and found a kit on PRG Products that has the bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks with rough country control arms, sway bars, and 2" strut spacers. Yall with the experience with Bilstein, have you noticed the ride being rougher if you have the adjustable shocks extended all the way out? I was reading forums that after the 1" mark that you lose some of the smooth ride so that is why this kit has the 2" strut spacers. Does it sound like a good all around kit for a 3" front lift? Or is this an idea way to get a good lift and not lose out on having a smooth ride?

(TerryD)
I totally agree with not lifting it if you dont or if you do, dont make it an extreme lift. That is what I was hoping to get out of the 3". I plan on not changing the tire size from what the producer requires or if I do it will be only one size up. I dont wait to always be paying for repairs on a truck that has to much stress on all its parts. And with the rear suspension, with all the input I came to the conclusion to just upgrade the shocks but leave it how it is and improve it later if I really need to, you are right in that I does sit high enough as is.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Brandonn another thing to think of before doing a left is finished build weight. Companies like TJM and Oldman Emo sell left kits with springs designed to hold the lift with added weight.

So you can get a 2" or 3" lift for an extra 200 or 400 Kls, if you do a US made lift kit they are based on stock vehicle weights so once you outfit the vehicle it sits lower.

Brandonn

Rank 0

Traveler I

Brandonn another thing to think of before doing a left is finished build weight. Companies like TJM and Oldman Emo sell left kits with springs designed to hold the lift with added weight.

So you can get a 2" or 3" lift for an extra 200 or 400 Kls, if you do a US made lift kit they are based on stock vehicle weights so once you outfit the vehicle it sits lower.
Daryl, I spoke with a rep from OME because after reading a lot of post on this page it seemed like that was a trusted company that made well build products. They told me they unfortunately do not carry any suspension parts for my truck.. That is when they pointed me towards Nisstec. I didnt think or would have thought to consider finished weight. What are your thoughts or experiences with dealing with this?

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Before working for TJM USA I would just have thought about air bags for my truck. But now after learning from people that have been outfitting overlanding vehicles for 35 years in Australia, it just makes since to do it with the springs.

Some us companies do it by using longer springs but to me that sets you up for possible coil bind. Is your vehicle coils in the back? If so you might look into "air lift" air bags that go into the coil itself, I used them on a 67 El Camino I had for work and play. They only are good for 20 pis though, think they were good for 150 lbs or so in the elky.

Brandonn

Rank 0

Traveler I

Before working for TJM USA I would just have thought about air bags for my truck. But now after learning from people that have been outfitting overlanding vehicles for 35 years in Australia, it just makes since to do it with the springs.

Some us companies do it by using longer springs but to me that sets you up for possible coil bind. Is your vehicle coils in the back? If so you might look into "air lift" air bags that go into the coil itself, I used them on a 67 El Camino I had for work and play. They only are good for 20 pis though, think they were good for 150 lbs or so in the elky.

It does not have coils in the back. Would adding a leaf spring add-on be enough for the extra possible weight?

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

A lot of great advice. To add to what @Trailaholic said, learn your truck, learn it's limitations and learn what your preferences are. What you enjoy. Heck you can do that before you even upgrade tires.

Last year before we did any mods to our truck, the wife drove Hell's Revenge, including doing Hells Gate in our stock 2015 Ram Power Wagon on STOCK 33's. A feat so many Jeepers would say is impossible. Poison Spider Mesa, done stock.

So many people make the mistake of running out and buying upgrades without even knowing why they're buying them or if they even need them.

Matter of fact, a lot of people jump to giant tires and lifts without even having the proper experience to use them.

I slowly figured out what I enjoyed, and began to base my mods on needs and limitations. First modification, diff covers, because duh.

Brandonn

Rank 0

Traveler I

[QUOTE="BoldAdventure, post: 121160, member: 11618

Very true, I just need to cool the jets and make sure I will be getting out enough to make the expenses worth it and for sure to know the limitations of the truck. I was actually thinking about that today, making the first mod a diff cover haha. That will spoil a trip real quick.

Reactions: Daryl 32

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
OME doesn't have the reputation in the Xterra world that they do with other makes. It seems that even their heavy load leaf springs don't live long under any Xterra off-road. Alcan custom springs are the way most people go. You can order them for desired lift and increased load capacity. For my Xterra I'm looking at eventually going with their 3" lift +500lb springs to cover an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier with Jerry cans, an OBA setup and all the camping gear 5 people take plus possibly pulling a trailer in the future.

Reactions: Daryl 32

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

More great info added by Boldadventure and TerryD. Our oldest daughter and her husband had a stock Xterra and did a lot of offroad weekend camping in Northern Az. Other then tires the first real mod/repair they did was replace the radiator as the top plastic tank on the stock one cracked at the hose inlet.

Depending on the mileage of the vehicle - replacing tie rod ends and bushings can be a good start.

How strong are the front CVDs on a Titan?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
For a 1/2 ton truck, I think the CVs are adequate. The M205 front axle and Titan CVs are upgrades for the Xterra.