Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Read the articles in this in the last two issues of OutdoorX4 for tire repair. you will have a good guide line for a purchase.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I use a plug kit at work quite often and have found that the industrial type plug tools are so much better than the cheap plastic handled versions. The tools don’t bend and the handles are steel and threaded to the tool rather than plastic pressed on handles that eventually come apart, usually in very inopportune times. I got mine at Napa, as well as the plugs. The plugs come in different diameters, I usually just get the thick ones and they work well. I don’t bother with the glue, it does make the plug go in easier, but it’s not really necessary for a temporary fix. Patching at a tire shop is the right way to fix a tire when you get home, but in my younger days I had plugs last as long as the tires. Awhile back I saw a cool set that the tools and a few plugs were stored in the metal handle and threaded into the handle when used. I haven’t seen it since, but it was very compact and solid looking. Next time I see it at a store, I’m putting one in my kit.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

trfkcop

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
First Name
Todd
Last Name
O'Neal
Member #

I picked up one at Walmart made by "Slime" several years ago for my motorcycle. Works pretty well, but it is a patch kit, not plugs...

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

This got me thinking that I’ve got bits and pieces of a tire repair kit in my Jeep, but a good solid all-in-one kit is something I should’ve picked up a while ago...so I just ordered this:

Reactions: J Tosh Reed

Yngstr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Blackjack makes an excellent kit. Everything you need and instructions too. I have one in my rig and pickup and have used them with success everytime. They are high quality tools that will las and come in a small case with plenty of plugs. Expect to spend $40-$50

Reactions: J Tosh Reed

J Tosh Reed

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Member #

Thanks all!
I ended up going for the ARB tire repair kit, I liked that it was all metal parts, looks sturdy, plenty of plugs, I like the hard case, 50$, not bad. Let you know how it goes next time I gotta patch a tire.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I've used the Slime Brand tire plug kit from Walmart that's less than $8 and plugged two tire holes to date. Neither have leaked, the process is simple and works...Can't ask for much better than that. I now have one ALWAYS in my air kit.

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

It’s goofy, but Smittybuilt is the best one I’ve seen. $20
It even has needle and stainless wire to stitch a sidewalk back together

Can't make it through the day? Back up, and get a run at it!

Reactions: Beee and ArmyofMike

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

I bought a harbor freight one for a trip on a last second buy and I've used it about three times and it works pretty damn good. Not very fancy, but effective.