Recent trip info for Baja

• HTML tutorial

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

Thinking about heading to Baja for some beach camping, taco eating, beer drinking and maybe some spearfishing. Does anyone have any recent trip info like good beach camping spots they'd be willing to share?
Looking to make a trip as an overnighter from Los Angeles to maybe a 3-4 day trip later on this summer/fall. Either Pacific or Sea of Cortez side, I'm not particular, just need a good beach and a cold beer.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Sounds like it would be an awesome trip!

My family is actually from Baja, in the "wine country" part, just North of Ensenada. I wish I can give you beach camping advice but I haven't camped at a beach in Baja since I was a kid (very less populated and less busy back then).

For tacos, the place below is one of the best I have ever had. Especially the al pastor;

Taqueria El Trailero
31.891708, -116.693714
https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-trailero-ensenada-blanca

If you have a chance, and like wine, you should visit the town where my family is from, El Valle de Guadalupe. Beautiful little town in "wine country" type setting. You can google information on where to visit and what not since its very popular now. People see it as a tourist destination, but I see it as where I spent a lot of my childhood.

Here is a good article of a trip to Baja;
https://www.outsideonline.com/2060791/baja-beach-camping-destination-youve-been-looking

There is also a guy, Matt, who does off-road Baja tours on instagram; @Camp4lo . He might be able to give you some good tips on going over there.

Reactions: Rattlesnake44

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
For spear fishing you should go to the cortez side, warmer water and the tide isnt as strong.

Theres several places on the east side of baja but youre in for a trip if you do!

Lookup these places
Puertecitos might be your nearest one
Gonzaga Bay
Bahia de los Angeles (Bay LA)
Mulege
Loreto

On the pacific side you would want to drive south past ensenada to a small town called herendira, if about 1hr south of ensenada and 20 minutes off the main highway

There you can drive the coast and pick your spot! About 10-15 miles north of Herendira theres a small ranch called La Calavera "The Skull" its probably the most scenic coastal road ever. Youre driving on the edge of the land with the water several feet below you. You would think theres no beach but up there you will find that ranch and a small strip of beach.

The owners last name is Zavala, good humble man who lives off of the fee he charges for using his beach. We tried to catch lobster with him back in June but no dice. I heard september is lobster season over there.

There were several guys fishing with rods and did get some fish after a while. Awsome place IMO. Let me know if you want some coordinates to that place.

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

@DesertRat Sounds awesome! If you're willing to share the coordinates absolutely send them on. PM if you want to keep a small foot print or just print them here on the thread if everyone can share. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
image.jpg first picture you can see the red is the baja 500 course for 2017, so basically just follow the course to La Calavera.
image.jpgsecond picture is where you get off pavement at Santo Tomas, its right past a Pemex and you immediately start to climb the grade.
image.jpgabout halfway through you take a left turn on the coords
image.jpg and just drive that trail until reaching La Calavera at the coords

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
image.jpgThis picture was taken just outside ensenada heading south towards Santo Tomas image.jpg Once off pavement, you start to drive through local dirt roads so drive careful for oncoming trafficimage.jpg eventually you start to skirt the coastimage.jpghere you can see La Calavera in the background, few abandoned fisherman hooches and the beach on the furthest right of the picture.

This was my first trip to this area, took my dad on a surprise trip with Wide Open Excursions who let us drive that black Baja Challenge Race Car for about a 150 mile round trip.

The drive was so awsome we decided to visit that place again for any race taking that way. So in June of 2017 we went back to camp at La Calavera

Reactions: Cam_Cam_Tech

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Outhouse with a view!image.jpgwe thought we would be by ourselves for the baja 500 but it quickly got packed with people and even a group of toyota/overlanders got there and saw their first offroad race image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Trying to catch lobster, i need a comeback and actually catch some!

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

Wow! That's a lot of good info. The spot looks awesome. I'll be heading down in a few weeks for a night of beach camping and then heading up to do some wine tasting in the Valle de Guadalupe. I'll definitely try and make this my beach overnight spot. Does the owner of La Calavera charge in dollars or pesos, and how much?

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
Wow! That's a lot of good info. The spot looks awesome. I'll be heading down in a few weeks for a night of beach camping and then heading up to do some wine tasting in the Valle de Guadalupe. I'll definitely try and make this my beach overnight spot. Does the owner of La Calavera charge in dollars or pesos, and how much?

The owner doesnt really like to charge, hes really humble about it, basically he will take whatever you give him, the sign at the entrance says 50 pesos per vehicle. We gave him 200 pesos, 50 wouldnt even help him much, maybe just to buy a soda and some tacos at the most

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
Awsome! Let me know how the road is down there, im planning a trip for november, AZ to Cabo and back, plan on spending two weeks on it, i already have the breakdown and will be camping most of it, just two hotels in san quintin and cabo

Reactions: Isaac Garibay

Brazuca

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

52A Mars Street, Carlisle WA, Australia
First Name
Alexandre
Last Name
Couto Ferreira
Member #

Awsome! Let me know how the road is down there, im planning a trip for november, AZ to Cabo and back, plan on spending two weeks on it, i already have the breakdown and will be camping most of it, just two hotels in san quintin and cabo
Do you mind sharing the route you had planned? We have no plans what so ever yet... Lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using OB Talk mobile app

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
Do you mind sharing the route you had planned? We have no plans what so ever yet... Lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using OB Talk mobile app
11/07 Mexicali-San Quintin(H) 259miles
11/08 S. Quintin(H)
11/09 S. Quintin(H)- Guerrero Negro(H) 263miles
11/10 G.Negro- Mulege(C) 175miles
11/11 Mulege-Loreto(C) 84miles
11/12 Loreto(C)
11/13 Loreto-Cabo(H) 315miles
11/14 Cabo(H)
11/15 Cabo-Mulege(C) 398mile
11/16 Mulege-Bay LA(C) 294 miles
11/17 Bay LA(C)
11/18 Bay LA(C)
11/19 Bay LA-Puertecitos(C)153miles
11/20 Puertecitos- Mxli 176 miles

(H) means we are staying at a Hotel and (C) means camping by the beach
I chose these cities because of their nice scenery and possible activities with the exception of Guerrero Negro, there isnt much to see there

San Quintin has a nice hotel we are staying called Santa Maria

Mulege is just beautiful looks like an oasis filled with palm trees by the ocean

Loreto is a nice town, has a mission to go see, nice little town and the water there is amazing

In Cabo theres alot one can do and we are staying at the Solmar Resort

Bahia de los Angeles or Bay LA has awsome beaches and if youre lucky you can probably swim with some whale sharks

Puertecitos has hot springs once the tide goes down, awsome camping there too

DezertRat

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yuma AZ
So we are entering Baja via Tecate in early August.

The stars on the map are the places we will be visiting...

We are pretty flexible time wise, so if anyone is heading that way in August or even September please let us know! We would love to meet up!

Cheers

View attachment 29664
Sounds like an awsome trip, are you planning on getting mexican insurance?! I was looking into it on racedezert and most of them recommend going with bajabound for car insurance