Rebuilding my dad's Hummer H1... for it's next adventures.

• HTML tutorial

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Forgive the camera work. My son decided just to watch (and film) me crawl very slowing up Hell's Gate. I shouldn't have shown him all the videos of rigs tipping over or rolling backwards down the hill. BTW, this was my very first day of driving off road... ever. LOL. What a place to learn.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Forgive the camera work. My son decided just to watch (and film) me crawl very slowing up Hell's Gate. I shouldn't have shown him all the videos of rigs tipping over or rolling backwards down the hill. BTW, this was my very first day or driving off road... ever. LOL. What a place to learn.

Well done, congrats.

Your kids been watching too much World Star, LOL

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Well done, congrats.

Your kids been watching too much World Star, LOL
LOL. Between his comentary and the hilarous lady and her dog you can hardy pay any attention to what's going... in the few frames he actually points the camera at the truck.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
View attachment 123971View attachment 123972
One of the other H1s on the Moab trip tumbled off the Moab Rim trail onto the road below. Fortunately, the injuries to the people were relatively minor but the truck was totaled.
Totaled? I put IED exploded HWMMVs in a lot worse shap than this one back together. All the parts to rebuild it are easily sourced for not to much Dinero.

Fletcher8969

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Fletcher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LHU
Totaled? I put IED exploded HWMMVs in a lot worse shap than this one back together. All the parts to rebuild it are easily sourced for not to much Dinero.
Yeah, it doesn't look so bad in these pics but the frame was bent pretty badly on the front. It rolled head first off a 25ft ledge and landed on the front "bumper" completely verticle then flipped on to the top. The engine, trans, transfer case where ripped lose and smashed forward while the frame was bent to one side. I'm guessing it could be made to run again but the insurance just totaled it. I was amazed the insurance covered it at all but since it was on a public road (when it landed) they did. The driver had gotten out and didn't put it into park. As it started to roll forward the passenger jumped from the truck just before it went over the cliff. She broke her leg (not a severe version but broken none the less) but was other wise ok. If she'd gone over with it she would have been very hurt if not killed. They were a few trucks behind us so when I look down and back onto the road I didn't know who was in the truck at first. It was pretty scary for a few moments. Losing the vehicle was bad and all but for a minute or two I thought they were in it at the bottom of the cliff.

RogueGB7

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Sepulveda
Member #

Looks like a great project and I am sure it will be just as good as when your father was driving it. Keep up the great work and thanks for posting,

Vince

Step 6: Replace all fluids, filters, hoses, belts, batteries. Install a new 140v alternator, heavy duty starter motor, steering pump, water pump, custom coolant overflow reservoir, new cooling stack and just about everything in the engine bay except the engine. The engine was replaced under warranty somewhere close to 100k miles (after the engine block cracked in the Atacama Desert) so it's running pretty well. Rebuild the Central Tire Inflation System and install an ARB twin compressor to drive that and the ARB diff lockers front and rear. The goal was to make this mechanically as reliable as possible.
View attachment 121772
View attachment 121773
View attachment 121774

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
View attachment 123971View attachment 123972
One of the other H1s on the Moab trip tumbled off the Moab Rim trail onto the road below. Fortunately, the injuries to the people were relatively minor but the truck was totaled.

QUOTE:
How very sad, I'm glad to hear there were no serious injuries but that would be a heart breaker for me. Personally I dont think I would have tried to drive such a wide vehicle over those roads. I dont like height anyway. I would do it in my itty bitty LRD2 but nothing bigger.

Reactions: Fletcher8969

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

It looks like the H1 landed on its roof! Is that the case? Man that looks like a ways from the rocks behind it.. helluva design to not crumple up. As one who has never been to Moab, how far of a drop was that?