rear storage drawer system build

• HTML tutorial

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I built one for my son's 4 door jeep 2 years ago with one big drawer. Pretty simple build. I used two drawer slides on each side to handle the weight since this was one big drawer. No sagging on the slides after 2 years of use.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I built one for my son's 4 door jeep 2 years ago with one big drawer. Pretty simple build. I used two drawer slides on each side to handle the weight since this was one big drawer. No sagging on the slides after 2 years of use.
I like it. I used sliders on my trailer drawers as the trailer does not have a tail gate to slide them out upon. It's too bad that jeep hasn't offered up a tailgate as an option.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I’m kind of in stage 2 of my cargo build out right now. It’s all 12mm Russian plywood and screws, anchored to the floor using factory 3rd row mounts. It’s modular in that the whole thing can be emptied and removed if I needed to in about 5-10 minutes. No drawer slides. I used UMHW tape on runners to keep it simple, reliable and maximize storage. 96A3D260-7A23-49B7-B14F-ED182FF5FFD1.jpeg 0D9D47A3-D807-44DF-81B8-AAB0F8C3B172.jpeg This is it right now. I need to build the left side fridge house by next week. D7B1D360-1941-430A-90C6-0F6824315C78.jpeg90% done now! Added a table slot above the fridge.21A8B696-E310-4F48-83D5-1EF2F150051C.jpeg

Last edited:

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

Mine is being built by my neighbor, though I threw it in my 4Runner this past weekend. The top/bottom and vertical boards are 3/4" pine and the drawers are/will be 1/2" pine. The right side drawer uses 24" Liberty guide rails (from Home Depot) and is 28" long x 16" wide x 7 3/4" high. That leaves a few inches behind the drawer for a small hidden compartment with the rear seats up. The left side drawer will use 32" Firgelli Automation guide rails (rated at 400 lbs), will be roughly 20" wide x 32 or 33" long. I picked up 4 turnbuckles and eyelets to attach it to the stock tiedowns. I haven’t decided yet what material to cover it with, but leaning toward an outdoor carpet from Home Depot. I’d also like to add some tie downs for a cooler and other gear on top of it. Eventually I will extend the drawer system over the folded down rear seats to use as a sleep system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

bonsaidave

Rank III

Advocate II

nikon 012.JPG nikon 020.JPG nikon 018.JPG nikon 017.JPG nikon 015.JPG nikon 014.JPG nikon 013.JPG nikon 010.JPG nikon 009.JPG nikon 008.JPG nikon 001.JPG nikon 004.JPG nikon 033.JPG nikon 035.JPG nikon 032.JPG nikon 038.JPG nikon 039.JPG
I built this one out of ply I pulled out of dumpster at work. I used oak hardwood for the runners and a little bit of wax it works great. I have added locks on the drawers need to fined the pics.

Reactions: GABEHERNANDEZ

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Here's one I did for my 4runner years ago , you can save alot of time and money on building the drawers by going to your local rebuilding center , be amazed at the drawers you can find there E9A86FB4-A592-4D53-B0E4-DD308B8B20D7.jpg
F9961635-0768-401D-9F36-E6CB225898ED.jpg

But eventually I got rid of the drawers and went to just a piece of plywood and a couple supports and just slid plastic containers under it , as neat as the drawers where if I wasn't out adventuring I like not having anything back there so I wanted something that came out really quick and could be stored easily. Plus with the containers out I could slide fishing poles under there .

Last edited:

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Great ideas everyone. I built a really simple shelf my TJ when I took the rear seats out for camping. Now that I have a Grand Cherokee I have a lot more room and am looking into doing a simple drawer system and leaving a location for my Yeti 65 cooler. This thread gives me a bunch of motivation.

Karrettadventures17

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cypress, CA, USA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Metzger
Member #

No drawers but this build was simple and served my needs:

I can stash 4 FrontRunner bins under the rear platform.

Pretty happy with it, definitely increases my storage capacity.
I really dig your setup if you have any of the info on measurements used and hardware used that would greatly appreciated.