rear storage drawer system build

• HTML tutorial

MTNGOATFJ7986

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin
Member #

so I've already planned out a build for a rear storage drawer system for my FJ, with most of my gear going up top in storage cases I figured I could use the drawers for all the heavily used camp gear (bug spray utensils, camp kitchen gear etc)

Was wondering if anybody has experience building one like this themselves, and any suggestions/ideas/pictures would be appreciated!
FJ-Cruiser-Storage-Drawers02.jpg

Phil C

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chicago
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Crisologo
Member #

I just completed my build for my 4Runner. There's plenty of DIY write up's out there but as with any project, take your time and measure carefully. My system was built out of 90% scrap/leftover wood and parts I found in the garage and basement so they weren't perfectly flat or straight so there was a lot of sanding and minuscule adjustments to get everything properly aligned.

MTNGOATFJ7986

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin
Member #

Thats a really sanitary build! Thanks! I like the idea of split drawers. Im getting most of the materials from home as well, going to cover the top flat portion in non-slip rubberized shop flooring, and the rest of the system is going to be metal framed plywood im covering up with some heavy duty carpeting. Thanks for the insight on that, I'm starting mine right now. Day off well spent.

Reactions: RainGoat

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

so I've already planned out a build for a rear storage drawer system for my FJ, with most of my gear going up top in storage cases I figured I could use the drawers for all the heavily used camp gear (bug spray utensils, camp kitchen..
View attachment 36681
WOW, that looks great! Super clean yet functional. The only other addition I would like is a slot on the bottom to slide a folded Lifetime table into. REALLY like the look of yours & totally agree with the idea of rubberized material on top-possibly with some T-Track for securing things.

Last edited:

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

I've gone through a few home built setups... but I've finally settled with my current iteration.

I removed the rear seats. There's one full length drawer on the drivers side. On the passenger ide I have my fridge on a slide out and a small kitchen drawer under the fridge. Behind the fridge is where house my fuse panel, 1000w inverter and some camera/drone battery chargers.

IMG_0918.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG

Video tour.

mtnnomad

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Dullum
Member #

I have built several of these. I like the one drawer setup for weekend trips and fitting in the errands around-town. The two drawer worked well while traveling on long trips to keep the dry food organized and camp gear separated. I finally nailed the design fit. It fits an ARB fridge, bolts to factory mounts, and with the rear seat up. I’m building now to sell.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

I have built several of these. I like the one drawer setup for weekend trips and fitting in the errands around-town. The two drawer worked well while traveling on long trips to keep the dry food organized and camp gear separated. I finally nailed the design fit. It fits an ARB fridge, bolts to factory mounts, and with the rear seat up. I’m building now to sell.

Cool!

Juggernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Ca
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Hart
Member #

I've gone through a few home built setups... but I've finally settled with my current iteration.

I removed the rear seats. There's one full length drawer on the drivers side. On the passenger ide I have my fridge on a slide out and a small kitchen drawer under the fridge. Behind the fridge is where house my fuse panel, 1000w inverter and some camera/drone battery chargers.

View attachment 37418
View attachment 37419

Video tour.
Cool!

Reactions: Ontario Overland

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Awesome job - anything you would do differently? I'm planning my own design now.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I found a dometic fridge slide on amazon that fit my edgestar fridge with enough room to store a couple 1 gallon water jugs and a few other things. I’m thinking about building a cabinet to surround it with storage above it to maximize useful space since I want to keep the rest of the bed open.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Jimmy P

MTNGOATFJ7986

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rocklin
Member #

Okay so here's the current progress on my first prototype. I opted for one large drawer (which i cut a small hole into to access my power outlet) that I'm thinking of adding some organizing dividers into, with a slide out 26 inch "table" up top that I topped with a durable linoleum kind of material, and I braced it so stays level when fully extended so i can run my camp stove on it. I kept the left side open for storing backpacks, muddy shoes and stuff, that also fits my small fold up camp table, and carpeted every surface so there isn't visible wood, metal etc except on the sides of the drawers. There's also a small gap behind the box that I built in small space intentionally for putting valuables and such out of sight that can be accessed by folding the back seats down. I'm starting to weld up t track rails for keeping an ice chest in place up top, and adding some D rings for a cargo net/tie downs etc. once I have it topped with a rubberized mat. Next comes handles after I find ones with the right look. Just got back from a trip out to Fordyce trail with it loaded up, and it held up well on the rocks and stuff with no rattling around. drawer.JPG drawer 2.JPG

Last edited:

Gary Bzzz

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Boulder, CO
Member #

Okay so here's the current progress on my first prototype. I opted for one large drawer (which i cut a small hole into to access my power outlet) that I'm thinking of adding some organizing dividers into, with a slide out 26 inch "table" up top that I topped with a durable linoleum kind of material, and I braced it so stays level when fully extended so i can run my camp stove on it. I kept the left side open for storing backpacks, muddy shoes and stuff, that also fits my small fold up camp table, and carpeted every surface so there isn't visible wood, metal etc except on the sides of the drawers. There's also a small gap behind the box that I built in small space intentionally for putting valuables and such out of sight that can be accessed by folding the back seats down. I'm starting to weld up t track rails for keeping an ice chest in place up top, and adding some D rings for a cargo net/tie downs etc. once I have it topped with a rubberized mat. Next comes handles after I find ones with the right look. Just got back from a trip out to Fordyce trail with it loaded up, and it held up well on the rocks and stuff with no rattling around. View attachment 38028 View attachment 38029
looking good

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I am not a carpenter, however I do have a tiny bit of experience with measuring and cutting things. So, occasionally I do build things. As with most all our gear we subscribe to the "keep it simple stupid" methodology, which is a safe bet that we choose utilitarian function over form. Excessive weight is also a consideration as we already scale out at 8,000 lbs +/-. Cabinet grade plywood? Nope. Drawer sliders ? Nope. I just didn't see the need. Carpeting? Nope. All told, I'm pretty shure I spent $100 give or take, on the entire project. AAAnd,,, It's been holding up as I expected, 4 years, 40,000 miles, and lots of off pavement driving here in the east as well as out west. The extinguuiser has since been moved to a handier location just behind the drivers seat as we are planning to build a pull out shelf on sliders, for easy access to the front hatch before our next trip. photo 4.jpg DSC00102.JPG DSC00100.JPG