Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I struggled to figure out where to post this but I figure reading is maybe a recreational activity, so yeah, post those "overlanding" related books you have read. This one I read in Grade 6, 1966. It definitely influenced my past 50 years.

If you have a good book to recommend, find the cover and post it.
Reading is my favourite camp activities.

13026.jpg

Last edited:

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

These books are pretty much obsolete, but are fun reads. La Siesta Press had some great books back in the 60s and 70s, including a series on old mines. You can find them on Amazon.

Attachments

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I struggled to figure out where to post this but I figure reading is maybe a recreational activity, so yeah, post those "overlanding" related books you have read. This one I read in Grade 6, 1966. It definitely influenced my past 50 years.

If you have a good book to recommend, find the cover and post it.
Reading is my favourite camp activities.

View attachment 102291
Mine arrived a few days ago and am about 60 pages in. Their determination and attitude throughout is inspiring

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

I dont have any specific to overlanding books, but i bike, climb, and hike a fair bit and try to keep a library of guide books and whatnot as references when looking for places to go. here's one of my shelves.

0A05240E-AAF2-4C22-AECF-B276CA1883B8.jpeg
The Backcountry roads and California trails are great resources.

Great topic!

Last edited:

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I dont have any specific to overlanding books, but i bike, climb, and hike a fair bit and try to keep a library of guide books and whatnot as references when looking for places to go. here's one of my shelves.

View attachment 109809
The Backcountry roads and California trails are great resources.

Great topic!
Since we’re showing off our bookshelves, here are a few of mine. Pics 1 and 2 are desert and local mountain guidebooks. Pics 3 and 4 are general hiking, Arizona and Utah hiking, and Arizona history. 17458BA0-C38C-45AB-B9C7-90678C800B70.jpegE5C90A75-301F-4D7E-AE82-22DBA158915E.jpeg10C19B9D-FDE6-46D5-8563-F1FAF3D30E59.jpeg82D770C7-ADAC-400D-81FB-C29A14B02176.jpeg

Hobie01

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Dorado County, CA, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Hoberman
Member #

Last edited:

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
Lots of really great suggestions in this post. Thanks for all the ideas. I’m always looking for new reads.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Since we’re showing off our bookshelves, here are a few of mine. Pics 1 and 2 are desert and local mountain guidebooks. Pics 3 and 4 are general hiking, Arizona and Utah hiking, and Arizona history. View attachment 109821View attachment 109822View attachment 109823View attachment 109824
That's a lifetime of reading. You have a very good library. Amazingly I haven't read a book in many years but I do like the technical stuff written in magazines and personal adventure experiences. Between cataracts in both eyes, bulging cornea later in one eye, surgeries on all, I'm out of the reading habit. Used my eyes all my life to make a living that required tons of technical literature reading. I'm lazy now and will only watch documentary video and utube laughable adventure comedies. Good thread tho @BillyBob, you brought in a bunch of names to your thread that I am not familiar with on the forums.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

That's a lifetime of reading. You have a very good library. Amazingly I haven't read a book in many years but I do like the technical stuff written in magazines and personal adventure experiences. Between cataracts in both eyes, bulging cornea later in one eye, surgeries on all, I'm out of the reading habit. Used my eyes all my life to make a living that required tons of technical literature reading. I'm lazy now and will only watch documentary video and utube laughable adventure comedies. Good thread tho @BillyBob, you brought in a bunch of names to your thread that I am not familiar with on the forums.
That’s only a small part of my library. I have over 12 feet of shelved books about the desert! And around 10 feet of old west nonfiction. I’ve always loved books.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
That’s only a small part of my library. I have over 12 feet of shelved books about the desert! And around 10 feet of old west nonfiction. I’ve always loved books.
You sound like my best friend (now deceased) and brother in law. He had a wonderful library of the same categories. He traveled for 25 years in the Air Force all over the world. Everywhere he went he bought up all the literature he could find on the history topography of the area !

Reactions: Mojavewanderer

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
@Billiebob Thanks for the recommendation. I rarely find time to read, but I made time for this book a couple of months ago and couldn't put it down. My wife (the reader in our house) wondered what in the world had me captivated. Highly recommended :sunglasses:
1575560268847.png

I should follow some of the other recommendations posted here.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
@Billiebob Thanks for the recommendation. I rarely find time to read, but I made time for this book a couple of months ago and couldn't put it down. My wife (the reader in our house) wondered what in the world had me captivated. Highly recommended :sunglasses:
View attachment 129789

I should follow some of the other recommendations posted here.

I found a copy on Ebay and it's on the way to me right now.

I got my copy today, turns out it's signed by Helen AND Frank. Looks like a great book with a double bonus.

I know what I'll be reading over the weekend. ;))

Last edited:
Reactions: KonzaLander

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

another...

Always love learning more, here is a bit more about Gerry Bracewell

In 2016 she was awarded the Legacy award by the Guide Outfitters Association of B.C. as recognition for being the first female guide outfitter, the oldest guide outfitter still in business and for owning the longest running family guide outfitting business. The family business has been running since 1918.

I think she defines overlanding. She was alive 5 years ago, if she is today she will be 97.

I have not read it yet, hoping it arrives for Fathers Day.

Last edited: