Re-name The Jeep Cherokee And Grand Cherokee....

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well I'm no lawyer and you can't trademark generic things with no ownership rights such as races or religions, but you can trademark organizations with a formal structure and membership. A tribe such as the Cherokee has had that recognition from the US government for quite some time. Regions don't really apply here but they can also be Trademarked if they tangibly identify the item. Familiar examples are wines such as Champagne or Bordeaux which much originate from those areas to be legally recognized as such.
Ok. Well, Texas has been recognized by the US government since 1845. Doesnt mean the governor can stop Chevy from making the Texas Edition Silverado - even if they aren't made there. Cant stop a chain restaurant from selling big steaks and calling itself Texas Roadhouse. Texas chili anyone? Texas barbecue? Well, technically, ANY barbecue that happens in Texas is a Texas Barbecue. Any barbecue facilitated by a Texan in any other state or province could be termed a Texas barbecue. What if I learned how to do a proper Texas barbecue but did it in New England? I don't think Ted Cruz has a chance at stopping me.

How many items with the word American have you found that were made in China. Or how about Swiss Army Knives with American flag scales on em. Nothing can be done about it.

Champagne, Bordeaux and even Chianti are all inanimate objects (that may assist in animating those partake too much), substances.

You cant trademark a race of people. Now, if there was a specific artifact produced by the Cherokee Nation, and they trademarked that, well that they can do.

My 4 cents, I guess.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Ok. Well, Texas has been recognized by the US government since 1845. Doesnt mean the governor can stop Chevy from making the Texas Edition Silverado - even if they aren't made there. Cant stop a chain restaurant from selling big steaks and calling itself Texas Roadhouse. Texas chili anyone? Texas barbecue? Well, technically, ANY barbecue that happens in Texas is a Texas Barbecue. Any barbecue facilitated by a Texan in any other state or province could be termed a Texas barbecue. What if I learned how to do a proper Texas barbecue but did it in New England? I don't think Ted Cruz has a chance at stopping me.

How many items with the word American have you found that were made in China. Or how about Swiss Army Knives with American flag scales on em. Nothing can be done about it.

Champagne, Bordeaux and even Chianti are all inanimate objects (that may assist in animating those partake too much), substances.

You cant trademark a race of people. Now, if there was a specific artifact produced by the Cherokee Nation, and they trademarked that, well that they can do.

My 4 cents, I guess.
Some good points.

Texas SHOULD be able to sue Texas Roadhouse however for disparaging the great name of the State by selling that hot garbage that they do.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well, it seems there is a company in California that has owned the trademark for the name Cherokee since 1986:

I had a cursory look at that. Everything I saw was TM'd as the name of a store or manufacturer providing a good or service, such as Cherokee Workwear, Cherokee Beer, or Cherokee Financial consulting. None that I saw had any hope of precluding anyone else from also using "Cherokee". Didnt see your 1986 one, though. But there were a number of search methods and criteria. If you could provide a screenshot

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I had a cursory look at that. Everything I saw was TM'd as the name of a store or manufacturer providing a good or service, such as Cherokee Workwear, Cherokee Beer, or Cherokee Financial consulting. None that I saw had any hope of precluding anyone else from also using "Cherokee". Didnt see your 1986 one, though. But there were a number of search methods and criteria. If you could provide a screenshot
I guess my point wasn’t clear - but you helped clarify. You can’t trademark a name that has been around for eons. That would be like me trying to trademark or copyright my name and then telling others they can’t use it. Now, if I come up with a new name that has never been used before, then all bets are off.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
FCA US LLC already owns the Cherokee trademark. That trademark is going to be very specific and only related to automobiles but I can promise you that if you built a vehicle and called it a Cherokee, FCA would see you in court before you sold the first one.

Here are several of the trademarks that FCA owns.

DriveAbility Program, Challenger, Charger, Cherokee, Chrysler 200, Compass, Dart, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Grand Caravan, HEMI, the Jeep grille design, Pacifica, ParkView, Patriot, Pentastar, the Ram's Head logo, Ram ProMaster, Ram ProMaster City, RamBox, Renegade, TorqueFlite, Town & Country, Trail Rated, Uconnect, Viper and Wrangler are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.

FIAT and ALFA ROMEO are registered trademarks of FCA Group Marketing S.p.A., used with permission by FCA US LLC.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

that name has been growing on me since I read it.
Logic would then dictate that the Grand Cherokee would have to be the "Big Whitey Privilege Edition", the possibilities are virtually unlimited.

Imagine this :
hqdefault.jpg
Chromed up nicely as a hood ornament. Or the androgynous voice of a 16 year old with fetal alcohol syndrome scolding you about your fuel level being low AGAIN through the infotainment system.

FCA really needs to contact me for advice I think.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

It all started either Redskins and now the Cleveland Indians and jeep. These giant corporations are missing an opportunity to turn the use of these names into a positive. Start a Native American scholarship fund. Start a grant program for community improvements. Don’t ignore the culture. Show it some respect. At the same time we need to figure out who is actually offended. When Steve Rinella asked an Alaskan native if it was ok to refer to him as an Eskimo, the guy told him “what else would you call me?” My wife grew up on a reservation and her family isn’t offended.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

Only took 47 years of using the name until needed to change it
Chuckie must have been too busy to get around to it until now.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I remember when free speech was the RIGHT to offend people.
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
Attribution of that quote is highly contested, regardless it is the most contextually accurate statement that can be made when referencing the world today.

I remember when speaking the truth was a respected character trait.

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
I wonder, if I trademark the word "the" and rent the rights to use the word the, would I get enough cash for my build project??

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I guess my point wasn’t clear - but you helped clarify. You can’t trademark a name that has been around for eons. That would be like me trying to trademark or copyright my name and then telling others they can’t use it. Now, if I come up with a new name that has never been used before, then all bets are off.
Mine wasn't quite clear either. Obviously you can TM something with the Cherokee name in it. It just has to be a product, symbol or service

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
Of all the things done to wrong and damage the native Americans over the centuries, I don't think having the name of one of their tribes used in good-intentioned and honorary taste is very high on the list. Could FCA or Stellaris give back to native communities, yeah, sure of course, but would changing a name change anyone's situation. No. Whole thing is a hype train. I drive a giant Orange Cherokee Chief, never gotten anything but thumbs up in 8 years.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I wonder, aside from legal issue, if there could be one.....
So what if Jeep kept the name? I don't think the Jeep buying demographic would be too swayed by this issue. From a sales point, Jeep has to consider if Jeep buyers even care about cancel culture. It could be worse to give up an established brand name than offend 23 possible Jeep buyers.