Re-name The Jeep Cherokee And Grand Cherokee....

• HTML tutorial

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I dont think the Cherokee name is going away, if as the other poster said, it was OK'd by the tribe at its inception. And because it is not used in a derogatory sense, but rather an honor sense.

Jeep DEFINITELY gets to keep using the Cherokee name if they decide now is the time to donate a portion of Cherokee sales proceeds to the tribe or something...but that would sort of be caving in, too.

Any claims anywhere of "cultural appropriation" or "MISappropriation" are such BS in my mind, since every single invention that is in widespread use could be considered cultural appropriation. As could the wearing of the common business suit and tie. Or Algebra. Or, by the way, the simple bathrobe. Men shaving and cutting thier hair or beards. Will we be unable to name our children whatever name we choose, because that name supposedly originates from a culture different than ours.

Good gravy!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Does this mean I am going to have to quit referring to my white XJ as "Miz. Warren"?

In a sense I can't blame the Indian tribe. The Jeep Cherokee is nowhere near as capable and respectable as it used to. The JK & JL 4-doors have taken over the niche the Cherokee used to fill, and now the Cherokee is just another unibody station wagon.

The tribe should either demand Jeep changes the name or turns it into a respectable off-road vehicle again.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Does this mean I am going to have to quit referring to my white XJ as "Miz. Warren"?

In a sense I can't blame the Indian tribe. The Jeep Cherokee is nowhere near as capable and respectable as it used to. The JK & JL 4-doors have taken over the niche the Cherokee used to fill, and now the Cherokee is just another unibody station wagon.

The tribe should either demand Jeep changes the name or turns it into a respectable off-road vehicle again.
On my desk, there is a metal bust of the old "Shawmut Indian", who was the symbol of a Boston area bank that was bought out in the mid 1990's. I have affixed a sticker on the chest that says "Hello, my name is Liz"

Good point about the NEW Jeep Cherokee. Maybe the tribe is embarrassed to be associated with something so boring.

TrailMasonCliff

Rank II

Enthusiast II

KS
First Name
Cliff
Last Name
Jones
i just don't see why this is so hard its the jeep KL and WK2 just like when I had a "Cherokee" I had, and normally called it an XJ

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

As has been noted, the Chief was responding to a journalist's question. Still, that was his answer...

He also went on to say that whether or not Jeep has changed the name, they are involved in ongoing positive dialog.

I have to say that I'm unhappy with the level of cancel culture as well. Back in the day, we just called it a "boycott." This is boycott on steroids. When Gina Carano - a strong, independent, different body type woman with her own outspoken views -can be thrown off the set, things are getting out of hand. Who even knew Harrison Ford's politics in the 80's? Who even cared, as long as he was great onscreen as Han or Indy?

It's not even as if this is like a "tomohawk" chop issue. Whatever way you think about the soon-to-be "Cleveland Baseball Team" or the current "Washington Football team", calling this Jeep a Cherokee is a means to honor the tribe and provide a name befitting offroad gravitas to the venerable XJ. The word Cherokee invoked a Native American who was a great tracker, hunter or warrior to be reckoned with who could survive in the wild. Applying that name to the Jeep was a means to indicate how great this Jeep is by name association.

Anyway, what do I know. Nuts!
The Gina Carano thing was was totally wrong! they fired her for her views since its against thiers.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

i just don't see why this is so hard its the jeep KL and WK2 just like when I had a "Cherokee" I had, and normally called it an XJ
Those are manufacturers internal codes for these vehicles, which allow the vehicle to be manufactured while some salespeople and focus groups come up with the name by which the public will come to know the vehicle. The internal reference codes are not always sexy. Then again, theres the CJ, TJ, ZJ, SJ, the venerable XJ, the GMT400, GMT800, GMT900, K2, T1, F-body (NOT a Ford, but a Comaro)...

Ok. Maybe the internal codes ARE sexy...?

Maybe it's a good thing Jeep and Ford trucks dont share codes. That could lead to a Bronco code OJ.

• Haha
Reactions: ABerte and Anak

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Those are manufacturers internal codes for these vehicles, which allow the vehicle to be manufactured while some salespeople and focus groups come up with the name by which the public will come to know the vehicle. The internal reference codes are not always sexy. Then again, theres the CJ, TJ, ZJ, SJ, the venerable XJ, the GMT400, GMT800, GMT900, K2, T1, F-body (NOT a Ford, but a Comaro)...

Ok. Maybe the internal codes ARE sexy...?

Maybe it's a good thing Jeep and Ford trucks dont share codes. That could lead to a Bronco code OJ.
I dunno, Z56 seems kinda sexy to me. The full description is “police chassis”.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The Gina Carano thing was was totally wrong! they fired her for her views since its against thiers.
I obviously agree. So what if she leans right? Theres plenty of left leaning people in the entertainment industry. I guess she couldn't be tolerated. I thought she was great on the show and every publicity picture of her shows her with a big beaming smile, almost unable to hold in her happiness. And often it was a close- mouthed smile, not the "show the top teeth only", fake hollywood and politics smile.

She seemed genuine and attractive and strong and smart. Quadruple threat Lucasfilm couldn't tolerate. And I saw the original "Star Wars", first run in the theaters in 1977. I've been a big fan, and a big fan of Mandalorian. But I wont be watching any longer. Bye Disney+.

But I digress. Sorry, Mods.

Keep the Cherokee name in HONOR of the tribe!

Reactions: DMS1

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i think all vehicles should be named after insects and jeep can start using different species of beetles for their product line....

1614718173507.png

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

The Cherokee's and other tribes should just trademark register their tribal names. They would then get control and financial compensation for use of their namesakes.

Reactions: ABerte and EXPO_D1

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

YEP!!! Her being fired for her beliefs is wrong on so many other levels then a damn jeep having the Cherokee name.
Whether or not I agree with Gina, I still think it's not right for her to be fired like that. I dont agree with everyone and, if my ex wife is to be believed, theres actually people out there who dont agree with me. Go figure. Ha ha

Just to tie it all in, I like the Cherokee name and I dont see it as derogatory. I see it as a way to honor. I hope Cherokee Nation does as well

Reactions: Lil Bear

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The Cherokee's and other tribes should just trademark register their tribal names. They would then get control and financial compensation for use of their namesakes.
Wouldnt that be a little tough? You ca t trademark the name of a race or tribe. That's like trademarking the word "Irish".

How in the hell would Volkswagen have put out those Wolfsburg Editions? What will BMW call itself if it cannot use the term Bavarian? What would the Chevy Celebrity even BE if they didnt have a Euro edition. Could all of those regions and races tell those car manufacturers to go pound salt?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
i think all vehicles should be named after insects and jeep can start using different species of beetles for their product line....

View attachment 189691
Perfect!!

Matt at "Bleepin Jeep" (Youtube channel built primarily around the XJ) has stickers for us XJ owners: a pile of dung emoji on a wooden crate, meant to evoke the common nickname for an XJ--"$h1tbox".

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I love me a good shitbox but i heard you cant fit 40s on them thats why im looking for a wrangler

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Wouldnt that be a little tough? You ca t trademark the name of a race or tribe. That's like trademarking the word "Irish".

How in the hell would Volkswagen have put out those Wolfsburg Editions? What will BMW call itself if it cannot use the term Bavarian? What would the Chevy Celebrity even BE if they didnt have a Euro edition. Could all of those regions and races tell those car manufacturers to go pound salt?
Well I'm no lawyer and you can't trademark generic things with no ownership rights such as races or religions, but you can trademark organizations with a formal structure and membership. A tribe such as the Cherokee has had that recognition from the US government for quite some time. Regions don't really apply here but they can also be Trademarked if they tangibly identify the item. Familiar examples are wines such as Champagne or Bordeaux which much originate from those areas to be legally recognized as such.

Reactions: Shokgoblr