Re-fueling from your Gerry can

• Thread starter Deleted member 82267
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
This has probably already been suggested but here is my two cents on trying to gas up on the trail. I have never not made a mess when pouring gas from my can into my rig. So on my last build I mounted my fuel cans higher then the gas cap, now I use a siphon bulb and transfer fuel via a hose. No more mess!! I purchased a boat siphon bulb and hose then added about a 2 foot piece of stainless tube that drops down into my fuel can. This keeps the hose in place so you don't have to fiddle with keeping it in the can.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

This has probably already been suggested but here is my two cents on trying to gas up on the trail. I have never not made a mess when pouring gas from my can into my rig. So on my last build I mounted my fuel cans higher then the gas cap, now I use a siphon bulb and transfer fuel via a hose. No more mess!! I purchased a boat siphon bulb and hose then added about a 2 foot piece of stainless tube that drops down into my fuel can. This keeps the hose in place so you don't have to fiddle with keeping it in the can.
I use race style cans because they are way easier to deal with and can be used without spilling anything. I have nowhere to mount cans on either of my vehicles so they either get strapped to the cargo basket of my compass ( or trailer if I have it with me) or right at the back in my tj with all windows open or top off ( usually top is fully open and hald doors open as well.)
The race cans have a hard portion at the end of the hose that hold into the fuel filler quite well, and they drain quickly. I'm shirt and the jeep is tall so I usually throw it up on my shoulder then open the air inlet and no mess.
I have considered doing exactly what you are saying though. No need to hoist up fuel on my shoulder lol.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I use race style cans because they are way easier to deal with and can be used without spilling anything. I have nowhere to mount cans on either of my vehicles so they either get strapped to the cargo basket of my compass ( or trailer if I have it with me) or right at the back in my tj with all windows open or top off ( usually top is fully open and hald doors open as well.)
The race cans have a hard portion at the end of the hose that hold into the fuel filler quite well, and they drain quickly. I'm shirt and the jeep is tall so I usually throw it up on my shoulder then open the air inlet and no mess.
I have considered doing exactly what you are saying though. No need to hoist up fuel on my shoulder lol.
Would a kayak bilge pump, or fish tank drain pump work? Then it wouldnt matter if the cans were high or low (no comments from the peanut gallery!) and you ought to be able to move the gas, as long as the hoses reach

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Would a kayak bilge pump, or fish tank drain pump work? Then it wouldnt matter if the cans were high or low (no comments from the peanut gallery!) and you ought to be able to move the gas, as long as the hoses reach
I would imagine it would.the race cans have a large opening in the top before the hose. Could probably almost fit an electric sump in them lol. I am planning on building a rack for the tire carrier of my bigger jeep.to hold them, I may add a super siphon or something to list of parts lol.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
No!

At best the the internal parts would rapidly fail due to solvent action. Then there’s always a chance of a stray spark causing a fire.

Reactions: M Rose

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

No!

At best the the internal parts would rapidly fail due to solvent action. Then there’s always a chance of a stray spark causing a fire.
Ok. However, they must make something similar that withstands the corrosive action of gasoline. You could work it by hand. I dont know exactly but I'm sure something could be rigged up.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ok. However, they must make something similar that withstands the corrosive action of gasoline. You could work it by hand. I dont know exactly but I'm sure something could be rigged up.
It’s called the primer bulb for a boat…
Ogrmar Fuel Line Assembly 3/8" Inner Dia 5/8" Outer Dia Hose Line Marine Outboard Boat Motor RVs Fuel Assembly with Primer Bulb Steel Hose Clamps 6FT
Or the Jiggly Hose from above, or the super syphon…. Personally I just use my old pre CARB compliant spouts on my jerry cans.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The super syphon hoses work great. For long trips where fuel supply can be an issue, I carry a jerrycan or two. These are mounted just above the fuel filler cap. I have attached the jerrycans in a way, that they do not even have to be removed for refueling them and also not for refilling the fueltank from the jerrycans.

Seitenansicht_Landy.JPG

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
The super syphon hoses work great. For long trips where fuel supply can be an issue, I carry a jerrycan or two. These are mounted just above the fuel filler cap. I have attached the jerrycans in a way, that they do not even have to be removed for refueling them and also not for refilling the fueltank from the jerrycans.

View attachment 212933
I had a similar set up on my Land Cruiser. I could refuel from the roof without removing the cans.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I had a similar set up on my Land Cruiser. I could refuel from the roof without removing the cans.

That's good. This makes refueling from the jerrycan very easy and you can do it right away when there is free capacity in the fueltank. This means that you don't have to carry the fuel around in jerrycans for an unnecessarily long time, which is unfavorable in terms of weight distribution, but where it is also safer, namely in the fueltank.

By the way, what just comes to my mind in addition. Please always remember that in different countries, there are different regulations for carrying jerrycans. Likewise, this can be an issue at borders in terms of customs regulations if the jerrycans are filled.

Reactions: Desmo900

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
I would be cautious using any electrical pump that was not treated for use in a hazardous environment. Its the fumes, and it just takes one spark, stay with a manual hose. Just my two-cents

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
You cab buy battery powered fuel pumps, they come with different adapters for different can types. Powered by 2 or 4 AA batteries or 12V, rain proof, cost $60-120 depending on quality and volume of fuel moved.

Reactions: Overlanding Lawyer

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I would be cautious using any electrical pump that was not treated for use in a hazardous environment. Its the fumes, and it just takes one spark, stay with a manual hose. Just my two-cents
most kayak bilge pumps are manual. The corrosive nature of gasoline would be your biggest issue here, I think

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I've been using this battery operated liquid transfer pump for years. I just added a longer tube. Works great for filling lawn equipment too.

IMAG1855.jpg

kharrel

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast II

Ventura County, CA, USA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Harrel
Member #

Reactions: roots66

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Due to Jeep XJ fuel pumps having a history of dying, I carry a spare under the back seat. I have a 20 foot piece of fuel line and a cable with connectors for it. I just drop it in the can on the trailer and put the hose in my vehicle. I then plug it into a cigarette lighter and can empty the can in just a few minutes without removing the Jerry can or making a mess.