Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

I'll chime in here as the Devil's Advocate.

I've got a '95 Bronco, and have owned an '82 Bronco back in the day. You absolutely have to make sure this is the vehicle style you want. They are perfectly capable trucks and in my opinion have a great look, but they are not convenient by any means for loading/unloading passengers and/or gear. I'm just about to put my '95 up for sale due to its building list of maintenance/repairs needed but its general inconvenience isn't making me re-think passing it on.

The Ramcharger lift-gate has a major advantage over the bronco in that you don't have to roll down the window to open the tailgate (a common FREQUENT reliability issue in the Ford) so I won't focus on this as a down-side beyond saying that's a lot of real estate in the back of that thing to reach from behind the bumper.

If it's only typically ever just you and maybe one other person it's not much of an issue, but throw in a 3rd and it won't be long before you're wishing for 4 doors.

For some people, these are a perfect fit, and they are undeniably cool so you do you! Good luck in your search.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I had a '78 Ramcharger, took that thing every where. Sold it to get a HD 3/4 ton to tow our 21' Daycruzer , longer wheel base. But I saw it again a few times later driving around near me, with some new dents and scrapes, so the guy was using it too ...

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I had an 82, hell about 18 yeara ago now. Was a good vehicle but we called the 318 the "gutless wonder". Was a good engine reliability wise and made nice noises but I'm pretty sure my 4cyl Jeep XJ was faster lol.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Jeepmedic46,
The 88’ will have a part time system. A Dana 44 front axle. Uses a vacuum system that slides a coller over Two axle pieces to make it a solid front axle in 4 wd. No hubs to turn, the front axle is like a front axle like used by Jeeps from 87’ on. Even the new JL Wrangler is using a similar system to this day. In 2wd. the coller is not in place and your axle will spin but not put power to the front wheels. But the parts, u-joints are all turning but not under any load tell you push the transfer case handle into the 4h or 4L position You can find an aftermarket kit to lock the sleeve or coller on the axle, with a manual cable lock. That takes care of the vacuum problem some have. Not sure if you can find a set of manual hubs easily or not still. But with the Internet? Different studies have shown that you do not save much gas to pay for the cost of the manual hubs. It’s more to save wear and tear while on the road of you front axle parts. The rear axle is a Chrysler corporation 8-3/4”. Strong axle but not as many locker options as your front axle should you want a locker. ARB Air locker, Detroit Locker some other LSD traction devices. Check out RamCharger Central on the net. Hope this helps, Vance.
Jeep hasn't used the CAD (center axle disconnect) system since the 95 YJ. The XJ stopped using it in 92. They just went to a one piece axle on the long side and let everything spin with no load. The manual hub conversion for the unit hub Jeeps (all of them since the YJ/XJ) is a system avaliable though warn for about 1400 dollars. I don't even know if they make that conversion anymore. There's really no advantage. The disengagement of the front axle happens at the T-case. Your front driveshaft and all the parts in your front axle are still spinning being driven by the front wheels. A simplified system overall.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Jeep hasn't used the CAD (center axle disconnect) system since the 95 YJ. The XJ stopped using it in 92. They just went to a one piece axle on the long side and let everything spin with no load. The manual hub conversion for the unit hub Jeeps (all of them since the YJ/XJ) is a system avaliable though warn for about 1400 dollars. I don't even know if they make that conversion anymore. There's really no advantage. The disengagement of the front axle happens at the T-case. Your front driveshaft and all the parts in your front axle are still spinning being driven by the front wheels. A simplified system overall.
Downs,
Sorry you are wrong with your information. Jeep is using the same sucky system again on the JL. Look at and read about on-line. The rest on the warn hub conversion is correct, but just try finding the system for sell. Many will tell you good luck finding the system for sell! Chrysler kept using that same system on all their trucks straight axle systems for a long time for it all the way through into the 2000s late. My 99’ 2500 Dodge has the same system. On Ram chargers, Dodge used it starting 84.5’ . Before that, Ram Chargers have the Uni hub through 79’. Then 79.5’ - 84.5’ had manual hubs or also some with the external auto hubs. Vance.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Sucks for JL owners. Probably a decision to eeek out another partial percentage point of MPG for CAFE standards.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Downs,
Yes, guess something for the aftermarket to pickup! Dodge D44, 84’ - 91’ D60, 91-01, Jeep, XJ, MJ, 84’- 91’, YJ, 87’- 94’. Then now for JL 2018’ -? Ford, GM, Jeep, Land Rover, and a few others used the same CAD system. Now one mod for the Jeep guys is to use a TJ right axle on a D30 and replace the CAD system on a XJ. Not sure what other models or makes you can’t do the same? Big bucks again, but Spider Trax, make a super uni- hub, replacement for some models, but more than the Warn conversion if you can find one. Vance.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Digging deeper looks like they used an electric actuator on this setup instead of a vacuum setup like on older Jeeps. Should make for better reliability compared to the old vacuum system.

Anywho. Now were getting in the weeds. Sorry OP.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Digging deeper looks like they used an electric actuator on this setup instead of a vacuum setup like on older Jeeps. Should make for better reliability compared to the old vacuum system.

Anywho. Now were getting in the weeds. Sorry OP.
Downs,
I am the sorry one! You were right on most of it. I was wrong to with my info. That is why we can all learn new things! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Are there any Dodge Ram Charger owners out there? I possibly have a chance to purchase a 88 Dodge Ram Charger in perfect condition for 6000 dollars. Person is the second owner and knew the original owners. Vehicle has 86,000 original miles on it.
Jeepmedic,
Keep looking at sites like CL here in the PNW. Portland, OR. Bend, OR. Seattle, WA. Spokane WA., and Yakima, WA. Boise, ID. You can find clean rust free and lots less sun damage vehicles. And most of the older rigs do not have the CA. Smog junk! Ram Charger’s still come up for sell lots. I know where a sweet 70’ Chevy Blazer is for sale, for $2500. I just don’t really need any more vehicles, but I am tempted! Vance.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
To be clear, my endorsement of the Ramcharger is reflected by the super easy junk yard Dana 60 swaps. And simple crate engine re-powers. Find a wrecked F350 and scalp it's axles.

The YJ axle splitter nonsense is pure junk. It's still used today on Jeeps, GM's, and Dodges. Even the Powerwagons. I had a cable operated splitter on my YJ. Front drive train wear was significant.

Ford uses vacuum off hubs on the 150's. Vacuum on hubs on the Super Duties, with manual override, and Warn has drop in manual hubs available. No idea what the new Ranger uses. My love for the Super Duty stems from the olde school manual hubs on tough axles.

Last edited:

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

To be clear, my endorsement of the Ramcharger is reflected by the super easy junk yard Dana 60 swaps. And simple crate engine re-powers. Find a wrecked F350 and scalp it's axles.

The YJ axle splitter nonsense is pure junk. It's still used today on Jeeps, GM's, and Dodges. Even the Powerwagons. I had a cable operated splitter on my YJ. Front drive train wear was significant.

Ford uses vacuum off hubs on the 150's. Vacuum on hubs on the Super Duties, with manual override, and Warn has drop in manual hubs available. No idea what the new Ranger uses. My love for the Super Duty stems from the olde school manual hubs on tough axles.

That is a nice Ram Charger. What year is it?

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

My wife has talked me into getting a full size pickup. Trying to volunteer at a local 4H club and has she put it may have to pull a horse trailer and carry shavings and hay. So we looked at a 04 F-150 super cab. Not giving up on the ram charger though. Will get one eventually.