Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Yeah, hit me up if you make it out to Northern California (anywhere north of Monterey) and I'll either help you find some great spots or go with you to them.
I will at some point make my way back to Tahoe/Reno area. I have loved that area my entire life. Spent a ton of time there growing up.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Got the galley seating area done. All the fabrick is water proof and marine grade. Makes for easy cleaning.
Finally had the holding tank heaters installed which are working great with the freezing temps we have been getting overnight here. This has also allowed the testing of my battery heating pad. The battery comaprtmebt has not gotten below 37 even with outside temps being low 20's.

This weekend I need to install the Safiery LPG sensors to the cerbo GX and figure out how I am going to redo the black series "control center" so that it is can display the Cerbo GX information and have all the breakers there as well.

House is on the market, hoping to accept an offer soon. Current plan is to leave on Jan 1, for about 5 months, down through NV then AZ and across all the southern states with many stops along the way.

Attachments

Reactions: ProtonDecay

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Accepted an offer on the house today. Should close before the new year, keeping my Jan 1 departure time in tact. been getting a lot done and getting everything ready. Wiring has been a huge pain but all is worth it. Got a screen display for the victron cerbo in the HQ center (need to run wires still) and some light up switches for the pumps.

Need to find a way other than solar to charge batteries while in motion. Running a victron 12/12-30 would require 1/0 wire to run about 50'. That wire is not in the budget and would be a pain to run. Any suggestions on a solid plan to do this? that isnt going to break the bank.

Attachments

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Accepted an offer on the house today. Should close before the new year, keeping my Jan 1 departure time in tact. been getting a lot done and getting everything ready. Wiring has been a huge pain but all is worth it. Got a screen display for the victron cerbo in the HQ center (need to run wires still) and some light up switches for the pumps.

Need to find a way other than solar to charge batteries while in motion. Running a victron 12/12-30 would require 1/0 wire to run about 50'. That wire is not in the budget and would be a pain to run. Any suggestions on a solid plan to do this? that isnt going to break the bank.
If you'll be driving a bit most days the Redarc dc-dc 40a charger is what I rely on. It generally drives 20+ amps over 4g into the trailer bank and we pull 100 amps per day.

If you'll be parked or pulling too many amps for a car charger then we use a champion 3.5k mounted on the back of the trailer. I think the new model is a 4.5k, but either one can drive 100 amps into the trailer charger at eco speed or also run the ac at the same time.

Reactions: HatchetMatt

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force

If you'll be driving a bit most days the Redarc dc-dc 40a charger is what I rely on. It generally drives 20+ amps over 4g into the trailer bank and we pull 100 amps per day.

If you'll be parked or pulling too many amps for a car charger then we use a champion 3.5k mounted on the back of the trailer. I think the new model is a 4.5k, but either one can drive 100 amps into the trailer charger at eco speed or also run the ac at the same time.
I have a craftsman 3100i that i use when still that has only been started up twice to make sure it still works. quieter than the truck wgen sitting still. My big problem with a dc-dc is the run distance and voltage loss. I would br running 50' or so which will need the feed line to be able to carry almost 60a (recommended by victron for the distance) to put out 30a at 14.5v for charging the lifepo4 batteries.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
I have a craftsman 3100i that i use when still that has only been started up twice to make sure it still works. quieter than the truck wgen sitting still. My big problem with a dc-dc is the run distance and voltage loss. I would br running 50' or so which will need the feed line to be able to carry almost 60a (recommended by victron for the distance) to put out 30a at 14.5v for charging the lifepo4 batteries.
Yeah, the resistance is the resistance. We sometimes run the generator while underway. That charges everything up pretty quickly.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Yeah, the resistance is the resistance. We sometimes run the generator while underway. That charges everything up pretty quickly.
My generator is in the bed of the truck so that wont work too well as its enclosed. Its not a major concern just something that I would eventually like to implement. I have 1kwh of solar mounted between trailer and truck and another 150w will be added before I take off full time. (maybe an adition 200 on top of that if i can figure out how to wire my goal zero boulder in series).

Reactions: HatchetMatt

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Just in case you don't already know, the Victron display can adjust the 110 amps being pulled from the power source. Might be worth playing around to get the most efficient approach

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Just in case you don't already know, the Victron display can adjust the 110 amps being pulled from the power source. Might be worth playing around to get the most efficient approach
There is a lot that can be done, but still large wire to be run... even with the 12/12-18a I would need 8ga. which isnt bad and doable. 18a is much better than nothing but i want to get out for a few weeks and see what happens. If I dont need it I dont want to soend money on it. if i start going low I always have the generator.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
There is a lot that can be done, but still large wire to be run... even with the 12/12-18a I would need 8ga. which isnt bad and doable. 18a is much better than nothing but i want to get out for a few weeks and see what happens. If I dont need it I dont want to soend money on it. if i start going low I always have the generator.
I look forward to hearing about your adventures ✨️

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Attempted to go out on a winter tripe a few weeks back, it was failtastic, we didnt get out due to rig troubles. But Have been able to get quite a bit done. New slippers on. Black Rhino Armory wheels with Falken Wildpeak AT3's.

Working in some better storage for the truck bed. Have been puting toold and gear in bins which has worked but is not ideal as getting to stuff is a hassel. Puting a drawer with enclosed shelf on the CargoGlide. This will house tools and other importantish items in the drawer, with smaller organizer boxes in the shelf and other storage for stuff that doesnt need to be readily accessible in the trailer.

Also just waiting for the bed lights to come in to help see everything. have the boxes and wiring done, just need to hook lights to switches.

Closing on the house in about 3 weeks. Staying at a campground for 2 weeks to finish working and be with the family around the holidays. Departure of Jan 1 still looks good.

Attachments

HatchetMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fort Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Pancake
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RFN
Service Branch
USMC
Got to have drawers to get to your stuff for sure!
We did the same thing 6 years ago. FLED Californication. Retired, sold the house in Dec 2016 packed what little belongings we had in storage in Nevada. Became residents there to get out from the CA state taxes. We were living in a expedition ready Tacoma I custom built. It was rough going with a cat and a wife in the middle of winter in a rooftop tent. So we took the $ from the house sale and bought the All Terrain Warrior. Been a much more enjoyable adventure traveling out west for 1 1/2 before finding our dream property in Wyoming.
Happy Trails and stay safe! You are going to love it!

Reactions: K12 and Matang

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Started "full-time" about 2 1/2 weeks ago but was still working the last few days of my job and staying at an RV park... so I didn't really count it. I left Boise yesterday, at 830mst, to begin my journey south. The weather was not too bad other than very dense fog in the Twin Falls area down to around the NV boarder. I got to wells, NV, there was some snow on the road but it was not too bad. From there I began the journey down 93 and about 10 miles down the road it started to become patchy with snow pack on the roads. For about 100 miles of the trip the roads where not visible it was just snow on the ground that was pretty compacted. I got to Ely, NV around 4pm pst and decided to stop due to the icy road conditions going over the pass. I stayed at a Loves travel center for the night and left out around 9am pst this morning.

The pass was very clear going south on US-6 and the roads had some patchy ice until i turned off on 318. Going down 318 was about 90% clear and easy travels. Was able to go the speed limit a good majority of the way, had blue skies, sun and dry roads. Was great scenery and was very happy that I waited out the night so that I could enjoy the drive (most of my drive would have been after the sun went down). I made a stop in Alamo, NV to fuel up and my destination was only a few minutes from there at Pahranagat Wildlife Refuge. It is a beautiful area with great scenery and lots of birds to watch. The park manager said there is a juvenile bald eagle hanging out around my camping spot so hopefully I will be able to snap a picture as its flying around.

*Starlink is working fantastic, even though it is pointed directly at a tree...*

Attachments

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Left Pahranagat a few days ago. I was planning on spending the night at Buenos Aires WMA, But when I got there was informed they do not allow camping om the WMA grounds. I spent the night in the parking lot and left early in the morning. Felt a bit bummed about this so I spent 3 days at a KOA campground, needed refills for the Laveo dry flush toilet and laundry as one of the dogs decided my blanket was his pee pad. Wasnt too bad while I was there, and got the dual anderson flange wired and mounted to the bumper.

Drove from the KOA to OK today. Took about 10 hours for the fill drive which wasnt too bad. A few areas of high winds in NM. And got to travel along a good portion of Route 66 from Santa Fe NM to my current location. Currently staying lakeside in OK with some high winds/gusts that supposed to go until early morning tomorrow. Able to get some work done as Starlink is setup and working great. No one else is here so I am quite happy. The dogs can roam and not bother anyone.

Attachments

Reactions: ProtonDecay

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Left Pahranagat a few days ago. I was planning on spending the night at Buenos Aires WMA, But when I got there was informed they do not allow camping om the WMA grounds. I spent the night in the parking lot and left early in the morning. Felt a bit bummed about this so I spent 3 days at a KOA campground, needed refills for the Laveo dry flush toilet and laundry as one of the dogs decided my blanket was his pee pad. Wasnt too bad while I was there, and got the dual anderson flange wired and mounted to the bumper.

Drove from the KOA to OK today. Took about 10 hours for the fill drive which wasnt too bad. A few areas of high winds in NM. And got to travel along a good portion of Route 66 from Santa Fe NM to my current location. Currently staying lakeside in OK with some high winds/gusts that supposed to go until early morning tomorrow. Able to get some work done as Starlink is setup and working great. No one else is here so I am quite happy. The dogs can roam and not bother anyone.
Kinda nice when everything comes together and reality takes over all your planning and day dreaming. Enjoy the journey!

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond

Kinda nice when everything comes together and reality takes over all your planning and day dreaming. Enjoy the journey!

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Been putting in some miles, but in a spot ill stay for a bit. After Foss state park in OK I spent a week in Mark Twain national forrest. The drive in wasnt bad, until it started to pour rain down. It was the final stint of the trip and luckily stopped raining as I pulled in where I was going to stay.

Was able to meet up with a friend I havent seen in a while that is nearby and have a pretty good time. From there I drove out to KY to visit friends. Having a great time and getting a lot of work in on the rig.

Was able to replace the leaky sink, I suppose I could have just replaced the drain that was leaking, but i was looking for an axcuse to replace the whole sink. Its a workstation sink so I'm going to make a board that drops in to make use of all the counter space. Best part is no leaks and everything works. Still have my drinking water faucet for filtered water.

This week when weather cooperates I'll be installing airbags in the rear suspension to help with comfort while driving. It pulls great, but this will make the ride even smoother.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Been a long time since an update. Ive been enjoying being outside. I spent a night in WV on my way to see my brother in VA (hopefully picutes attach in the right order). Then after VA was in NC for a few days and then met up with a friend in SC before heading back to KY to meet back with a friend to hit the Ozarks. Woolum campground is pretty awesome, not much traffic coming through and a great river to fish in.

Keeba the Akita (dog) that I had with me is not longer traveling. Due to some behavioral issues and not getting along very well with the german shepherd he was luckily rehomed. He had a lot of animal aggression issues and hopefully he will do well in his new home.

I got the Airbags put in and they make the ride a lot better. Doesnt even feel like the trailer is behind me on trails. Also got the anex room for the awning, which is a great addition when whindy or rainy. keeps the wind and water out. A great dry place to be able to hang out.

Unfortunately, after the Ozarks Im going to be heading back up to Idaho and Ill have to sit in place for about a year to complete internships for school and licensing. But ill be close to the Tetons and Yellowstone so I will definitely have much to explore.

Attachments

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So glad you were able to find Keeba a new home! I'll have a good excuse to head out towards the Tetons once you get back up here!