Ram 1500

• HTML tutorial

QuentB007

Rank 0

Contributor I

Awesome build man.
I have a 2014 single cab with similar mods and i use it as my daily driver and LOVE IT.
Love the looks I get from truck guys who appreciate the classic short wheelbase look!

Reactions: Conrad318

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Awesome build man.
I have a 2014 single cab with similar mods and i use it as my daily driver and LOVE IT.
Love the looks I get from truck guys who appreciate the classic short wheelbase look!
They are good trucks the 4 link rear suspension gives them great flex on the trail and a good ride on the street.

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

How do Lockers help?
I got full time four wheel drive: 4 low lock, 4 low, Neutral, 4 high, 4 high lock
This set up is paired with the 727 btw

Hopefully us 'Big Boys' can meet up some time; Overland Expo West maybe?
Ride safe!

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

How do Lockers help?
I got full time four wheel drive: 4 low lock, 4 low, Neutral, 4 high, 4 high lock
This set up is paired with the 727 btw

Hopefully us 'Big Boys' can meet up some time; Overland Expo West maybe?
Ride safe!
Axle lockers are an upgrade from an open differential. With an open differential the spider gears allow all the power to escape through the tire with the least amount of traction. With a locked differential both tires will get equal amounts of power and turn at the same speed. The powertrax locker I installed allows the axle to turn freely when cornering but when traction is lost it will lock both tires together. This is the affordable upgrade compared to an ARB air locker because you only replace the spider gears.

As for your transfer case you probably have a part time 4x4 with the ability to lock together. A part time 4x4 has a 3rd differential in the transfer case and allows the front axle to travel at a different speed from the rear. This is necessary if you plan to use 4x4 on the street because when turning the front axle will travel at a different speed than the rear. Part time 4x4 systems are used all wheel drive vehicles. The lock feature locks the transfer case together this is for offroad situation where the ground allows a certain amount of slip between the axles.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Nice ride Conrad. It reminds me of my first 4WD a 1978 Power Wagon short bed. Put a cap on the back and you can sleep in the back. Back in the day we just called it tailgate camping :smiley:, you just pulled up, dropped the tailgate and you were camping. Overlanding sounds way cooler though.

Buzzard13

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Thanks Conrad. So Lockers is like adding poisi? That would be a nice up grade, at least for the rear. I'll do some more research.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Thanks Conrad. So Lockers is like adding poisi? That would be a nice up grade, at least for the rear. I'll do some more research.
Yes like a possi that you can disconnect so you get the benefit of an open diff on the road. There are several different options of lockers and ways to engage them. Take your time and do the research to get what you think will work best for you.
I always thought "Ram" and "Dodge" were oxymorons.
Ha ha ha:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I always heard if you can't Dodge it Ram it.

Reactions: Buzzard13

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Posi in the rear is awesome, I have it in my truck and a lot of the time on the easier trails I don't have to take it out of 2wd. It also turns my truck into a tank in the snow. Didn't mean to thread jack, I just wanted to put out my $0.02

Reactions: Buzzard13