Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I setup a rally point today and selected within 100 miles, the list populated with quite a few members but when I checked with one of them that I know was on the list, they did not receive an email invitation.

This is the rally point: Silver Lake 2nd Annual Rally

Thanks
-Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

There are many reasons why this could happen. Its also possible there is an error. You can help me determine the issue.

How it works:
Rally Point does NOT send an email invitation, rather, it sends a private conversation to the users forum inbox. If the user has email notifications set to "On" in their settings, they will get an email. If they have it set to "off", they will not. We need to respect their wishes, and if set to off, that's that - they will not get an email.

Next: Is your invite limit reached? If it is, Rally Point has a weighted invite system that prioritizes new members, people closest to the start location, members following the "Meetups" forum, and a few other factors. It will drop inactive members and people who are far away if your invite limit is reached. You will see your invite limit is reached when you generate invites.

Email problems: Spam, or certain ISPs (Yahoo, and AOL, and Hotmail are problematic).

Given this information, do you feel it is possible one of these factors came into play? Ask the member if trhey have email notifications off? Do they recieve other OLB emails?

Cheers,

M

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I'll ask and see what they say.

What's an invite limit?

When I put in the the radius and generated invitations I saw it pull approx 50 or so member names, so I assumed it was going to send to all of those people, is that not right?

I'll post back with as much info as I can gather.
Thanks
-Aaron

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I'll ask and see what they say.

What's an invite limit?

When I put in the the radius and generated invitations I saw it pull approx 50 or so member names, so I assumed it was going to send to all of those people, is that not right?

I'll post back with as much info as I can gather.
Thanks
-Aaron
This is right. It will send to all people in the list. If you reach the limit, you will see "Invite limit 50 reached" above the invite list. If you see this, it means that the list of generated invites is greater than 50, and the weighting system has filtered the list in priority order and cut the list off at 50.

If you see the person in the invite list AND they do not receive an invite, one of the other issues may be coming into play.

M

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I asked in the thread. Britz didn't get an email although I saw her in the list.

If you look here: US Northwest - Silver Lake 2nd Annual Rally it doesn't show anyone notified.

However here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/conversations/silver-lake-2nd-annual-rally.47652/ Steve sent out a message (I'm assuming using the map tool) and it did send out emails. Britz received this email.

Hope that helps narrow it down.
-Aaron
Hi Aaron, when you say, "it doesn't show anyone notified", what do you mean?

M

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I asked in the thread. Britz didn't get an email although I saw her in the list.

If you look here: US Northwest - Silver Lake 2nd Annual Rally it doesn't show anyone notified.

However here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/conversations/silver-lake-2nd-annual-rally.47652/ Steve sent out a message (I'm assuming using the map tool) and it did send out emails. Britz received this email.

Hope that helps narrow it down.
-Aaron
Oh, I cannot look at that conversation - I am not added to it.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Oh, I see, since it's a conversation it shows how many participants there are. It doesn't show that in the other post... I guess I'm kind of comparing apples and oranges. I'm assuming conversations would also not email if they have the email notification turned off?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Oh, I see, since it's a conversation it shows how many participants there are. It doesn't show that in the other post... I guess I'm kind of comparing apples and oranges. I'm assuming conversations would also not email if they have the email notification turned off?
That is correct. If email notifications are turned off - they will receive nothing.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

That is correct. If email notifications are turned off - they will receive nothing.
Then it would seem that sending them via the rally point isn't working as it should. Since Britz received the email when Steve sent a conversation but didn't receive an email through the rally point.
-Aaron

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Then it would seem that sending them via the rally point isn't working as it should. Since Britz received the email when Steve sent a conversation but didn't receive an email through the rally point.
-Aaron
UNless Britz falls into the ISP issue or the User Wieghting issue.

What is Brits ISP? I'll look.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Britz was definitely in the list when I created the rally point. I wanted to make sure she got the invite.
-Aaron

• Love
Reactions: britz

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I probably set it to 100 miles, when I set it to 74 miles, she still showed up in the list. Just tested it, also shows up at 100 miles.
Helpful, thanks. If in the list, a notification should be sent. @britz sorry about the gender assumption.

I’ll keep digging.

M