First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dycke
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Veteran
Hello,
I’m looking to branch out my expeditions further and some of the areas require a vhf/uhf dual band radio. I know anyone can buy them off of Amazon and such but do you need a license to operate? I have my radio operator license for flying and I know that’s different but do I need a Ham radio license for driving?

This isn’t about land/road use permissions, just curious about radios quals needed.

Thanks!

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Hello,
I’m looking to branch out my expeditions further and some of the areas require a vhf/uhf dual band radio. I know anyone can buy them off of Amazon and such but do you need a license to operate? I have my radio operator license for flying and I know that’s different but do I need a Ham radio license for driving?

This isn’t about land/road use permissions, just curious about radios quals needed.

Thanks!
Primarily (other than CB) there are two areas of radio comms to consider, amateur radio (ham radio) and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service). Both require an FCC license to transmit. Amateur radio is a free license (so far) with a written test requirement and GMRS is $35 with no test. There are several threads here in the Overland Communications forums comparing the two. Personally I believe ham provides more options, but I do have both in my Jeep.

Edit: I just realized you're in Canada. I do not know what the rules for radio services are in Canada, this info is for the USA.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I am not sure Canada has any other license free radio services other than CB and GMRS.
And since GMRS in Canada is a 2w handheld I would image any mobile VHF/UHF radio would require a license.
In the US the VHF/UHF radio would also require an amateur radio license either from US or Canada (operating under US requirements) unless the radio is certified for another license free radio service (MURS) which is HIGHLY unlikely.

That_kl_cherokee

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Sunbury County, New Brunswick, Canada
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Lave
Member #

Well depends on where you’re located I know where I’m from in Canada you don’t require a license for cb but in Ontario you do me and my buddies all got cbs in our rigs whether it’s a car, jeep or truck. I’d check the federal government site for ham radio and other radio com devices I don’t believe ham requires a license where I’m from but I’m not 100% sure cb works wonders with us and we don’t see a reason for anything else

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Noah do you have any documentation regarding licensing being required in some parts of Canada but not others for both CB and amateur radio?

Like in the US, radio frequencies/use is regulated by a government agency. In this case Industry Canada and I am unable to locate any documentation noting such various licensing requirements.

CB (unlicensed): RIC-18 — General Radio Service (GRS) - Spectrum management and telecommunications
Amateur Radio (licensed): Amateur Certification — Fact Sheet - Spectrum management and telecommunications

AJ. Adventures

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Dycke
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Veteran
Noah do you have any documentation regarding licensing being required in some parts of Canada but not others for both CB and amateur radio?

So I got it figured out. I do have a CB and where I am (alberta) you don’t need a license. But I did just get a dual band vhf/uhf radio that I have to get an amateur license for. I just finished a course and will write my test soon and get a call sign. It was a lot of information!

Thanks for your help!

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
It looks like a GMRS license is not required in Canada but an Amateur (Ham) Radio License is. Here is the link to Amateur Certification Fact Sheet.