Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Why does my map pin show up in Manteca instead of Stockton? Is there a way for me to move it?
Thank you, Bob

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Sorry to be a pain, I found it after reloading my page, but now the pin is even further away from Stockton.
Hi Bob, the pins are within 25 miles. We do this so your EXACT location is not known. The goal is for other members to know who's in the area, but not actually be able to drive to your house. To do that, they'd have to contact you. It's a security thing. Make sense? What do you think?

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Hi Bob, the pins are within 25 miles. We do this so your EXACT location is not known. The goal is for other members to know who's in the area, but not actually be able to drive to your house. To do that, they'd have to contact you. It's a security thing. Make sense? What do you think?
Hi Michael, I just thought the pin should be placed in Stockton, especially when I've posted that I'm from Stockton. No big deal, and thanks for the follow-up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi Michael, I just thought the pin should be placed in Stockton, especially when I've posted that I'm from Stockton. No big deal, and thanks for the follow-up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using OB Talk mobile app
Ok, good feedback! Maybe I'll set that parameter it a bit closer! Sounds like it's pretty far away.

Reactions: BobG

Scott.Coco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mansfield, PA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Cocolin
Member #

So I'm guessing by reading this thread people can see their own pins!?!

I can't see my own pin. Is there something I (my wife when buying my memeber as xmas present) was supposed to do?

OB #2710
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: BobG and Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
So I'm guessing by reading this thread people can see their own pins!?!

I can't see my own pin. Is there something I (my wife when buying my memeber as xmas present) was supposed to do?

OB #2710
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Hi Scott - you seem to be all set in terms of account upgrade but I notice you do not have your location set in your personal details. In your user menu (upper right), in "Personal Details", add your Map Location and Location and you will appear on the map. You will also then see this in your profile card on the left. Try that out. Let me know if you have any issues!

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

I'm all for safety but I do think it's a bit extreme. When I just checked its got me located just of Whidbey Island between there and Camano Island. It's within a 5-10 miles by crow, but way off in real life. When trying to find myself I found a member from Federal Way in the Edmonds/Lynnwood area, that's 30-40 miles from where they actually are.

Edit: checked again this morning and I'm straight across the sound in Port Gamble so it appears that it changes each time.
I find it weird that every week my pin moves weekly... odd.

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

Hmmm - is it within 25 miles of your actual location?

M
@Michael yes it is within 25 miles of where I live. But like I said, my pin keeps moving which I find to be odd. About a week ago, it was actually on the exact location of where I live, now it's way on the other side of the City. If I place a pin on let's say Google Earth, that pin stays exactly where I placed it. No big deal I'm just trying to figure out why these pins are moved? Thanks

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael yes it is within 25 miles of where I live. But like I said, my pin keeps moving which I find to be odd. About a week ago, it was actually on the exact location of where I live, now it's way on the other side of the City. If I place a pin on let's say Google Earth, that pin stays exactly where I placed it. No big deal I'm just trying to figure out why these pins are moved? Thanks
We don't place the pin exactly where you live for privacy and security reasons. When the map refreshes, it scatters pins within 25 miles of the persons stated location. We thought 25 miles was a good distance for folks to want to get together, and unspecific enough to be safe.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

When the map refreshes, it scatters pins within 25 miles of the persons stated location.
@BobG Yep, sometimes I'm two or three cities south, west, or east of where I actually live. Sometimes I'm way out in Lake Erie. I enjoy the variety. :)